Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:48:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTako’s Japanese - A fun way to learn Japanese
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tako’s Japanese - A fun way to learn Japanese  (Read 5460 times)
reverso13
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »

Who are we?
Hello everyone,
We're Tentáculo Studio, a little videogame studio based in Madrid, Spain.

Our team is formed by:
Alberto Gómez - programmer
Alejando Miralles - programmer and project manager
Julio Duque - artist and animator
Luis Carlos Vaquero - programmer
Rubén Rincón - music composer and sound designer

Tentáculo Studio

What do we do?

Actually, most of us are studying and working on this in our free time (which is not a lot Tongue)
Last year we experimented a bit with our first game, Krono Football (LINK), a game based on the amazing Casio digital watches, in which you had to stop the timer as close to 0 as possible in order to score a goal.

Right now we're working on Tako's Japanese, our most ambitious project up to now, in which we've been working for almost two years.  WTF

What is Tako's Japanese?

Tako's Japanese is a game/app to learn how to read and write Japanese. With Tako's Japanese, were trying to turn the boring task of learning a language into a fun experience. To achieve that, we've mixed the traditional way of learning japanese with videogames, creating this way a mixture we think it's going to be fun and original.

Development

We're currently at the 60% mark of its development.
We're actually working on the tablets version and after that, we'll work on the adaptation of the mobile version, which won't take too long hopefully.

Tools

The game is being developed in ActionScript3 with Adobe Air, Starling and Feathers.

For the graphic part we use Illustrator and animating the resulting sprites with Flash.

Features
- Learn to read and write Hiragana, Katakana and Noken 5 Kanji.
- 86 lessons, divided into Hiragana, Katakana and Noken 5 Kanji, so players can choose what they want to learn first.
- You'll be able to listen to every single character pronunciation.
- Study Mode, in which you'll be able to practice each letter individually.
- Every lesson has several minigames, which will test your language skills throughout the game.
- You'll be able to play these minigames too in the MiniGames Mode, which will let you play with the characters you've already learned.

Screenshots

Platforms
iOS
Android
Kindle Fire

As we said, we’re currently working on the tablets version. As soon as it’s released we’ll adapt it to a mobile version.

Hope you like the project  Beer!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:12:16 AM by reverso13 » Logged

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »

Cool. I like languages and I like games. Beer!

I read once that a westerner needs about 2200 hours to learn Japanese. That's a lot of gameplay! :D
reverso13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:41:15 AM »

Cool. I like languages and I like games. Beer!

I read once that a westerner needs about 2200 hours to learn Japanese. That's a lot of gameplay! :D

Thank you! I don't think we have so many hours of gameplay haha but they are quite a lot

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:05:21 AM »

I've spent 6 years learning Japanese and I'm abysmal at writing it by hand, but I can read it just fine.  I hope your game can help me correct that.  Smiley  I look forward to its release.
reverso13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:10:17 AM »

I've spent 6 years learning Japanese and I'm abysmal at writing it by hand, but I can read it just fine.  I hope your game can help me correct that.  Smiley  I look forward to its release.

The game is focused on learning how to read and write, so I'm sure you will enjoy it  Tongue

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »

Funny project Smiley Would be interested in hearing the music behind these cute screenshots now.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
reverso13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »

Funny project Smiley Would be interested in hearing the music behind these cute screenshots now.

Sure! There you go:

http://braindamage.bandcamp.com/album/takos-japanese-preview

There's only a few songs yet, but we will update it soon  Smiley
Hope you like it!

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 04:08:00 AM »

I just managed to convince my fiancee to learn katakana, too.  (I'm sure I'll manage to talk her into hiragana, next.)  I hope this comes out soon! We've got both an iPad Mini and Asus Transformer (Android), so we're covered for whatever you release first.
reverso13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:50 AM »

I just managed to convince my fiancee to learn katakana, too.  (I'm sure I'll manage to talk her into hiragana, next.)  I hope this comes out soon! We've got both an iPad Mini and Asus Transformer (Android), so we're covered for whatever you release first.

Great!! It will be available first for iOS, as for android we didn't start testing it yet. Hopefully it will be out soon Beg

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic