Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:06:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U Suggestions, Anyone?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Wii U Suggestions, Anyone?  (Read 3035 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »

I got a Wii U a while back, 'cause I thought the tech looked promising. Don't have many games for it. Recently had a birthday, so I kind of wanted to spoil myself and get a new title on it... But I don't follow console releases much.

Anything out for it yet, that's good? I prefer RPGs and tactics games, but play mostly anything. I don't have original Wii controllers, and not really interested in getting one unless the reason is super compelling. I have NSMBU, Monster Hunter 3U, and Warriors Orochi 3.

/ maybe I'll just sink another 20 hours into MH3U

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Uykered
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:19:13 AM »

Can't really think of any non-nintendo games that have come out. If Wind Waker counts and you haven't played that it's pretty cool.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »

Rayman Legends is great on the Wii U, I would definitely recommend it.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »

For RPGs you might have to dip back in the regular Wii library. The Project Rainfall games ranged from good to great. You'll need a wii remote to play them, though.

I really liked Wonderful 101. If you played and liked Viewtiful Joe or Bayonetta it's got a similar style, and they did a good job sprucing up the game with stylized graphics, big detailed levels and unlockable characters with fun to read bios. If I recommended one WiiU game, that'd be the one. It's got a good post-game where you can collect bottlecaps and figurines for searching levels and completing challenges, so it has both short and long-term appeal to it.

Nintendo Land has some good single player to it, though the multiplayer constitutes a decent chunk of the content that you'll miss out on. It can be a great single player game if you're the type of person who likes replaying a game until you get a perfect score on each level. If that sounds awful to you, then you may want to skip it because that's another big chunk of the content.

Game and Wario was a mixed bag. It has a decent amount of content but a lot of it boils down to replaying the minigames for arbitrary high scores to earn coins to unlock more toys. If you're not a fan of the Warioware series you might skip it (Smooth Moves was better even though it lacked the Toys menu).

NES Remix is download only, but pretty fun. It's got stylish menus and builds some clever challenges out of the assets of the original games. Even if you don't bother to replay all the levels for rainbow star scores, you get plenty of content for the price. I've played nearly all the games in it before, but it still feels fun and original.

I picked up Pikmin 3 but haven't played it yet due to Persona 4. Mario 3D World also looks nice, but I haven't picked it up at all yet.

Like Alastair suggested, though, the WiiU's third party line up is really forgettable or just multiplatform games.
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

Anything out for it yet, that's good?
Well, Unity is out for it, and I heard it's good and...

ah well  Shrug

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »

Just gonna write "I O U" on a stickynote and attach it to the console drive's faceplate, then.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:03:39 AM »

Super Mario 3D World has an insane amount of content. Pikmin 3 is probably best played with a wiimote and nunchuck, but it is more than possible to play through normally with just the gamepad, just don't expect to get any platnum medals on the mission mode. Wonderful 101 is probably my favorite game on the system so far with non-stop superhero action and probably some of the best button prompts you will find in a game.

mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »

I know it's not out yet but I suggest Bayonetta 2 if it isn't already on your radar.

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 06:14:08 AM »

Another vote for Wonderful 101.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze looks like loads of fun, and there is a version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with Nintendo character costumes.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »

Just waiting for Smash Bros U.
Then let the awesome begin.

So long and thanks for all the pi
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:47 AM »

^ Yeah, of course, and Mario Kart looks like it'll be fun. I'd also suggest the Operation Rainfall games - they're solid as heck. Pikmin 3's fun and pretty great-looking, though I haven't gotten too far into it yet. Wind Waker's cool, too. Haven't picked up Mario yet, but I heard it was excellent, of course.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »

At the moment this is still the strongest next gen console based on games available. Probably won't stay that way.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »

That's mostly because WiiU had a head start and strong first party titles.

It looks like they're releasing a sequel to NES Remix in two weeks, so hopefully they included more of the goofy remix stages. I'm really looking forward to that.

Pikmin 3 is pretty neat, especially how they've made multitasking more significant.

I'm looking forward to Mario 3D World, since I've heard such good things about it.

Has anyone played DK Jungle Freeze? Does it have the speed run mode again? I liked the first and I'm not actually sure what the sequel could do to improve on it.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »

If you enjoy 2D platformers, Tropical Freeze is a must. Genius game.

In terms of RPG/Tactics I can't really think of anything.

Edit:

Has anyone played DK Jungle Freeze? Does it have the speed run mode again? I liked the first and I'm not actually sure what the sequel could do to improve on it.
Yeah, it has speedrun mode. In terms of improvements, a lot of it is subtle. The biggest improvement I would say is the soundtrack, it's written by the same dude who wrote for the SNES trilogy. Other things such as the ability to use buttons instead of waggle, longer levels and more variety are also pretty great.

It all comes together to create a fantastic game, in my opinion.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »

Played around with DK Jungle Freeze, definitely recommended.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »

If you enjoy 2D platformers, Tropical Freeze is a must. Genius game.

In terms of RPG/Tactics I can't really think of anything.

You've got stuff on the VC, of course, like Earthbound. Definitely worth a play if you've never played it before (I think it's on there now).

Interestingly, there are a few RPGs that were developed for the Wii U, but they were only released in Japan. I wonder if RPGs are thought of as more Japan-friendly compared to the US?

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »

Oh yes, Earthbound is great.

Interestingly, there are a few RPGs that were developed for the Wii U, but they were only released in Japan. I wonder if RPGs are thought of as more Japan-friendly compared to the US?
I hope not! But now that you mention it, RPG's feel pretty far and few, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the mindset.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »

If they're third party RPGs, maybe they just don't see the demand for them outside of Japan. I'd think Nintendo would be pushing pretty hard to get them localized to beef up the WiiU library.

What WiiU RPGs are out in Japan you're thinking about?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »

Ah, I just looked up Wii U games on Wikipedia and sorted them by Japanese release date. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is one, but I think that's based on Japanese-history, so it kind of makes sense that it wouldn't get localized. But then again, Dynasty Warriors has been going on for decades, and Lu Bu's pretty well-known now among gamers, haha.

Dragon Quest X is to be released, I suppose, though there's no release date yet (at least, on the Wikipedia page). Monster Hunter Frontier G hasn't been released, and I don't know of any localization plans (though I'm not sure if there's a big difference between that and MH3 Ultimate).

Alphadia Genesis seems to be a 2D RPG with a 3D battle screen. Seems like it was made for mobile devices mainly, which is a shame. I think it just got released in Japan, so perhaps that's on its way.

As a side-note, there's a game called Togabito no Senritsu which is a "psycho suspense adventure game", which sounds interesting.

There actually doesn't appear to be very many RPGs in general for Wii U, though it kinda feels like that might be the case across all current generation platforms. I'm not sure if middle-ground companies make RPGs anymore - either it's indies doing action RPG titles (Hyper Light Drifter kinda comes to mind, though I don't know much about its overall structure to know if it's definitively an RPG), or it's AAA companies doing the odd FFXIV or KH3 or something. I wonder how Team Ico's doing on that giant dog game that was supposed to come out for PS3.

Man, I'd love to have an HD remake of Dark Cloud 1/2 or Steambot Chronicles for the Wii U or 3DS - even more-so for a sequel or just a plain similar successor...

EDIT: I forgot about the Virtual Console; there's probably more RPGs that have been un-localized there (Mother 3 / Earthbound 2 comes to mind as something that would be cool to release on the VC, both in Japan as well as elsewhere).

EDIT 2: A sequel to Contact for the DS would be cool, too. It played on the DS being an interface between the game world and the real world, and the Wii U obviously has a much larger similar interface. It had a really strong Earthbound feel as well, and I finished it all the way through (which is somewhat rare for gamers and games nowadays).

Oh, whoops, but these aren't suggestions. My mistake, haha.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:24:17 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic