Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:06:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTurn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Turn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.  (Read 18436 times)
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »

This is a game made for the Cyberpunk Jam. I intend to make this a full release someday so I would appreciate any and all feedback. Inspiration with Gunpoint is obvious, but the game actually turned out to be something completely different.

Obviously the art is a placeholder made mostly by me. As its a jam entry I didn't really had much time to smooth out the learning curve so the game is quite hard to get into.

Here is the game:
http://teedoubleu.itch.io/ronin

Stay updated: https://twitter.com/RoninGame
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:11:09 PM by teedoubleu » Logged
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »

hey teedoubleu,

I liked this! I actually think the art style is cool, even if it's placeholder. The basic concept is fun and I liked the main mechanics. My biggest issue was control, the fact that LMB seems to sometimes move and sometimes jump was confusing and frustrating. The grappling hook seems cool but less important than moving and jumping and so I might shift that to a different input method or modifier key or something. I like the glass breaking and kill animations, fun and satisfying. I also like the turn based concept, I think it's a good fit for this kind of stealth strategy mix and feels fresh.

For basic game design stuff I would add a more clear direction to goal, is the goal to kill all the enemies? If so maybe a 19/20 enemies remaining countdown would be useful.

I would put a range limit on the targeting lasers, or maybe some cover to interrupt them. I like the idea of playing against line of sight though. That being said I'd actually add a bunch more LOS things to avoid like cameras, trip wires, etc to make finding the optimal route more challenging. It becomes almost puzzle like at that point but with this theme I think that's cool. 

Also cool music, set a good tone.

Anyway, great start for a jam game!

M.

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »

Thanks! Right now the most urgent issue are the controls - absolutely everyone hates them:D As for the grappling hook... the idea is that in the next version you can freely jump only inside buildings - think of kicking or running on the "background" walls. When outside you can jump only once - while you are on the ground and then you have to rely on the grappling hook to effectively climb a building.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:44:27 PM »

+ dat grapple through window
+ dat lazer bullet dodge

- dem controls doe
- how duz it wurk agen?

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »

I'm working on them keyboard controlz right now and a tutorial level. There will be a sexy roll and crouch animations too.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

Really liking this. The Gunpoint inspiration is certainly obvious, but I'm partial to anything with sci-fi ninjas so I'll let it slide Smiley

The controls work well, and it's very satisfying to swing through a window, evade several laser sights, and then drop in for the kill. The turn based twist on the gameplay is really cool.  I could see this concept easily being expanding into a full game, with a style all its own. Add in some cool future ninja tech, different environments and enemy types, and this could be cool mix of Gunpoint, Mark of the Ninja, with a cyperpunk aesthetic and turn based.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
zavist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »

Hey, another hook game :D I loved Gunpoint and this looks pretty slick too, if there's anything better than smashing through windows and grappling hooks it can only be the two put together. Going to give it a try a bit later and see how it plays.
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »

Added keyboard controls and couple of other features. Slight gameplay overhaul.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:26:02 AM »

Added keyboard controls and couple of other features. Slight gameplay overhaul.
Can't figure how to use the grappling hook now. Maybe you could have jump on left mouse, hook on right mouse

nvm: figured it out, but maybe binding the action to two different buttons might be more natural
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:33:23 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:11:57 AM »

I'm aiming for one button mouse cotrols to be compatible with touch controls. Also...

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »

I'm aiming for one button mouse cotrols to be compatible with touch controls. Also...

Oh cool. This is on IOS/Android would be awesome

Gluoz
Level 0

Kipp Morgan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 10:47:59 AM »

This is a game made for the Cyberpunk Jam. I intend to make this a full release someday so I would appreciate any and all feedback. Inspiration with Gunpoint is obvious, but the game actually turned out to be something completely different.

Obviously the art is a placeholder made mostly by me. As its a jam entry I didn't really had much time to smooth out the learning curve so the game is quite hard to get into.

Some tips to start you going:
- if you move your mouse while holding LMB you will enter "jump mode" - time will stop and you will see the projected jump trajectory, releasing LMB will make the character execute the jump
- if the game has paused it probably means an enemy has line of sight to you and combat started, zoom out to see where he is
- avoid red targeting lasers, you will get shot in the next turn if you stay where they are
- jump on enemies to stun them, if you see a skull over their heads press it for an epic kill:D

The game title is a complete placeholder and I desperately need a name for it:D I'm open to suggestions.

Here is the game:
http://itch.io/jam/cyberpunk-jam/rate/4256
Awesome,but make hook-control more easy.

Kipp Morgan
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »

Added a new test build. Now you can deflect bullets, but only when in air because the Rule of Cool, thats why:D
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »

cant wait for controls to be fixed
this game is BADASS

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »

Please explain what annoyed you about the controls? Did you play the test build?
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

so fucking good. Nothing like jumping out a window, hooking onto the side of the building mid jump and swinging yourself in through another window, into a dude, bouncing all over the place to avoid getting shot, killing one guy, and then leaping out another window to escape. Holy shit. yes. all of my yes.

That being said, it handles kind of awkward. I'm not always sure when I'm not in turn-based mode anymore, and it takes a second for me to realize I can walk around normally. Not a big deal, but when I'm on a floor with a couple guys, and I go to kill one, I would like to know if I have time to run somewhere before whoever turns around and puts me back in turn-based mode.

Also, sometimes I try to jump and it takes a second to stop time. Sometimes the line disappears if my cursor is too far from my ninja but keeps time stopped, and a couple times I've gotten stuck in that stopped-time mode without being able to bring up the jumping reticule or do anything at all until I close the game down.

Allllso, on that ledge on the floor that second from the top, if I land on top of the edge of it I get stuck, can't move at all, locks the game up entirely. Eh, it's weird to explain, so here's a picture:

But yeah. Other than playing kind of stiff, this is an awesome game. I totally feel like a ninja bouncing around. I would like to watch a successful playthrough in real-time, I bet it looks like a well choreographed action scene.

Cheers!
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »

Please explain what annoyed you about the controls? Did you play the test build?

i played the first version, just didnt really know what i was doing sometimes. game is still awesome just get a friend to play it and see what things they get wrong

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »

Please play the test build:D I added option to shoot enemies (purple button) and deflect bullets (blue button).

Any ideas for other ninja-like actions I could implement? So far I thought of smoke bombs (enemies lose aim) and holograms (confuses enemies). Maybe some kind of invisibility?
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »

how do i deflect bullets? clicking the blue button that pops up doesnt seem to do anything but get me killed.

also does the spacebar select an action or unpause time?
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »

You can deflect only one bullet in a turn and spacebar lets you skip a turn (do nothing) just like the button in the right bottom corner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic