Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:25:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElarooh - point&click adventure for iOS and Android (DONE!)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Elarooh - point&click adventure for iOS and Android (DONE!)  (Read 7116 times)
Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »

Elarooh
a point&click adventure for mobile devices

AVAILABLE NOW!

http://bit.ly/Elarooh_iOS
&
http://bit.ly/Elarooh_Android

UPDATE 3: Uploaded to App Store and awaiting approval. Release in 2 weeks!

UPDATE 2: We have a new Trailer which you can watch on YouTube

UPDATE: You can now download a Demo Version of our game here

Hello, I'm the animator of Team Elarooh, a group of five students from switzerland who have worked the last few months in their spare time to make a point&click adventure for iOS and Android.

Elarooh is an adventure with a cute story, challenging puzzles and fun minigames. Visually we offer lush, hand-drawn backgrounds and huge, animated characters. Several music tracks accentuate and finalize the mood of the game. Another unique selling point of our game is a spell system, which can be used to alter the visual appearance of each scene (day/night cycle, making things grow, etc.)  

We're currently in the final phase of the development and would like to share information about the game and its development process with you. Since a few weeks we're mostly bugfixing and polishing. We release Elarooh this April, or at least that's what we hope to Smiley

Here are a few screenshots to give you a first impression of the game:

(thumbnails, please click to see the full-size screenshot)

Trailer:

Old Teaser:

Demo Version:

We have a Demo Version of Elarooh for download. Please go to our specific post here!

Development Process:

I'd like to share some information about our process which might be special or interesting.

• All backgrounds are painted with watercolor on watercolor paper by Moro. She scanned these paintings and refined them in Photoshop by painting over them and adding photo textures. After she finished all backgrounds she took them and reworked/refined them all one more time. With 30 scenes, each having day/night + several states, this was a massive undertaking. But damn it was worth it
  • All characters were directly painted in Photoshop by Moro and then animated in Anime Studio by me. I cut the characters in several parts and scaled/rotated them to breath life into them. The huge characters imposed several problems on us. I used TexturePacker to make spritesheets. Because of device limitations, we're limited to 2048x2048 pixel atlases and for some animations I had to remove frames to make them fit into one single spritesheet. Since our game features such many unique high resolution graphics, we're still fighting to get below the 100MB limit. And at the beginning of the project we targeted the old 50MB limit. Thankfully Apple released iOS7 and increased the on-air download limit Smiley
  • The game was actually coded twice Smiley One time in GameMaker, a "quick-and-dirty" prototype by Noshire, completely playable and feature-complete. And one more time in Corona SDK by beatbeet, with a "beautifully-written" engine which can be reused if we decide to release a sequel or another, similar adventure game. Some might think the rewrite or prototype might be a waste of time, but it helped us tremendously to prevent and fix logic-errors early in the game design process.
  • The game features several animals, which each have a different personality. To push the differences, each team member took one animal and wrote the dialogues by incorporating his own experiences and character.

Team:

Our team consists of five students. Four of us are Game Design Students in the same class, sixth semester at Zurich University of the Arts (and now parallel working on our bachelor thesis ^^) and one finished his bachelor in neuroinformatics during the development.

Moro : She's our project leader and main artist. She initiated the project, wrote the story, did game design, painted all the backgrounds, characters, UI and so one.
Rosse : I did all the character and background animations, made the graphics for the minigames and helped with the game design.
Noshire : He thought up most of the puzzles in the story and designed the minigames and all of its levels. He did game design and programmed the first prototype of the game.
gargaduk : He did all the music and sound effects throughout our game.
beatbeet : He's our programmer and is responsible for the final build of our game.

Outlook:

If everything goes well we release the game April 2014 for iOS and Android. We also plan to release the game for the japanese market and are currently looking for partners to make this possible. The game will be a paid app and will cost $2 at the time of its release.

We also begun marketing our game. If you are a reviewer for mobile games or adventure games and would like to write something about Elarooh, please feel free to contact me for additional information and a build for reviewing-purpose.

Links:

Thanks a lot for reading this far. I'd like to update this thread as often as possible. Please feel free to ask any questions, also concerning our development process and I try to make my other team members post here as well Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:09:26 AM by Rosse » Logged

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »

Today I got the notification that we are finally on "feature freeze". Now we're at the point where no new features are included and the rest of the time will be used exclusively for bugfixing. Well, we'll see Grin The list for features we want to include is still endless, but the release date is coming closer and closer...

Here are some animated screenshots:

I'm trying to get other team members to post here as well. Please feel free to ask any questions or comment anything you like

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »

I very much like the background drawings. Nice personality.

Moro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »

As this projects lead artist, I'd like to share a gif with you Smiley
The very first spell you learn in the game is used to change the time of day.
It can be performed anytime, allowing to switch between day and night freely.

Also: Thanks a lot nikolaus :D!
Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »

Great news Tigsource! I got the permission from my team to share our Elarooh Prototype which we sent to various Festivals and Contests like the 2014 IGF Student Award. It's a Demo Version (Windows only) and contains roughly 20% of our final game.

If you're interested in playing it you can download the game from our Dropbox Account here:

Please note: The final game will be released this April for mobile devices only (iOS and Android). A release for desktops is possible, but in the end it depends on the demand from our players.

I hope you have fun and I'm looking forward reading your comments.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:14:37 AM by Rosse » Logged

Calined
Level 1

VGM Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »

i like how warm the backgrounds look and the fine illustrated feel of them!
subscribing!

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 03:09:15 AM »

Thanks a lot Calined for the compliment. I ask Moro to show some of her original hand-painted watercolor paintings. They are amazing!

We also have several minigames in Elarooh. One has already been shown on our Teaser. Here's a new Screenshot of one of the harder levels. The goal is to bring the colored pieces to their recessed counterpart by sliding them wall to wall. Do you think you can solve it? Btw, if a night and a day piece collide they vanish and you have to start anew  Smiley

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »

This is very gorgeous, congrats to the team on a very fine look, idea, and implementation. Its very vibrant and curious, nice nice job!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 09:24:32 AM »

Very nice hand-drawn graphics. The universe is quirky enough to retain my attention. The soundtrack itself -at least from what I could hear from the trailer- is alright but misses a bit of charm and originality, not sure it'll fit with the game's universe.

Keep it on!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:30:30 AM by ephoete » Logged

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »

This art is lovely!

I wanna see how things turn out! :D

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »

Thanks a lot for you positive feedback. We're working on our trailer and soon (like next-week-ish) we're able to show it. I'm looking forward to your reactions Smiley

Here I announce our second minigame in Elarooh:

While exploring the forest you'll find marbles, which can be used in this minigame. The goal is to make the green flowers pop open and let them bloom. If the marbles fall out at the bottom, they are lost. If you used all your marbles, you have to restart the level. There are several types of obstacles and some items which will help you.

Moro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:26 AM »

Thank you very much Calined, kraed, ephoete and Ouren
Your feedback really encourages me :D

Here is a little graphics making of. On top is the freshly scanned watercolor image. Below the digitally edited one.

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »

Moro is busy making promotional artwork for the upcoming release. Please enjoy this screenshot. Next week we're able to show you our new trailer. I'm looking forward to share it with you.

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

Hello everyone. The reception so far has been great. Thanks to all of you who liked and shared our game Elarooh.

To show our gratitude we release our new trailer sooner than planned. Enjoy and please share if you like it. As a reminder: The game will be released for iOS and Android at the end of April.

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 04:32:17 AM »

Last week we showed you the interior of a lodge, where an old witch once resided. Today you can see how it looks like from the outside by night. You will have come here various times if you want to play through Elarooh.

Also, don't forget to share our

if you like Elarooh. Thanks a lot for your support!

Moro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »

Here's how I work on the scene where you meet the bear mother which protects their sick children (

). When painting I have the adjacent scenes open all the time to ensure that they match visually.

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »

We're happy to announce that our final build is done. This means we're like one millimeter away from releasing Elarooh.

Here's another one of our promo-pics which will be used in the AppStore:

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »

aaaaaaaaand we're DONE!

Elarooh is finished and uploaded to the App Store. The release will be in 2 weeks.

This is our little pet project we worked on in our spare time in the last 2 years, so we're unbelievably relieved to finally let it go and send it to the world to stand on it's own feet. When it's released, I hope you will enjoy playing it. We think we did a good job at polishing it (roughly the last 4 month were only polishing I think).

In case you haven't seen our Trailer yet, please have a look Smiley

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »

Here's a bump for the Moderators to move this Thread to the Finished Section Smiley

Release tomorrow, 15th May!
for iOS and Android

GogetaSuperx did a Youtube Playthrough of our old PC Demo. This is old footage, but it still conveys the mood of Elarooh quite well. I'm looking forward to see you play the final game! Hand Joystick

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 12:52:09 AM »

Congratulations and best wishes! Lovely art! Gentleman

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic