Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:46:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsPublic Voicechat for Gamedevs (Mumble)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Public Voicechat for Gamedevs (Mumble)  (Read 1267 times)
lemtzas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:23:27 AM »

I announced this on /r/gamedev last week and using Twitter's #gamedev hash the week before. There's been a favorable response so far and I finally got a chance to do something for here, so here goes. This is basically the post I put on reddit.

So. I tried to find a voice chat for gamedevs. The landscape appeared somewhat bleak. Evidence of skype calls, a few long defunct google hangouts, and a permanent (and empty?) hangouts link in the sidebar on /r/gamedev - and apparently another one stickied here, too! (and suffering from the same activity problem as the /r/gamedev one?)

So I decided to fill the gap. I've started a Mumble server which I will support for as long as I can (which should be forever).

You're welcome to use it for pretty much whatever you like (within reason). I just request that you use push-to-talk (or have voice activation configured well enough that we can't tell that you aren't). Mic spam isn't cool.

To Join

Here's an application quickstart link.
Address: mumble.lemtzas.com
Port: Default (64738)
Password: gamedev
Get Mumble: mumble.sourceforge.net

I've made a few images for quick sharing on twitter and I've been spreading the word (I'm aware the mumble download url is wrong in the link and it has since been fixed thanks to @AwfulPixels)

So far I've told Twitter, Reddit, and now TIGSource. Are there any other communities that might be interested?

If you've got any feedback, suggestions for improvement, or whatever else, please share!

This is my first post to the forum. Beer! Hopefully I didn't break any rules or urls.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:36:16 AM by lemtzas » Logged
lemtzas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:43:12 AM »

A concern is that there might not be enough people in there to make it worth joining. (A concern your own Google Hangouts thread seems to share?) To counter this, JohannesG of Freenode's #1GAM proposed a solution on reddit:
I had the same concern, which is why I am suggesting certain times to meet up. I am for example mainly a sound designer so having mumble open is really not an option for me because that would be like having a graphics designer that overlays a video chat at 50% opacity over his image editor window. Wink

In my opinion it's quite similar to having a meeting with friends at a café, you (usually) don't go alone to a café (unless you just want to enjoy the delicious coffee) and wait for the chance that a friend might show up. You usually decide on a time.

So I'm going to try and figure out what times to promote with this time/date poll. If you'd like to see activity at certain times, please fill it out. (and don't forget to this the SEND RESPONSE button. It's kind of hiding down there). I've also shared the poll with the /r/gamedev community and on Twitter. Perhaps others might like a say?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:41:22 AM by lemtzas » Logged
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »

Joined but no one was there. Good idea though! With this and Google Hangouts, we're golden.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic