Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:41:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRotrix
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rotrix  (Read 20638 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

So I've been working on a game for quite awhile, and I wanted to get some opinions and feedback on the direction it's going.  It's kind of a big project.

The movement mechanic is the most unique thing about it.  When you move left and right, the world rotates around you.  As far as gameplay, right now it's kind of just a platformer.  Jump around, hop on moving platforms, get items, get to the end.

Coming up with fun and original gameplay with this engine (while keeping the game's scope manageable for one developer) has always been a stumbling block, and I was wondering what kind of ideas the community might have.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:01:06 AM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »

Any more info on the gameplay? It sounds interesting, especially with the rotating, but I can't really give much feedback on it.
And eventually I think you're gonna want to implement anti-aliasing.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »

That looks really awesome.

Mac port?

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »

I already support anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering on the textures.  those are easy adds in opengl 

Again, the gameplay right now is basic run and jump, get to the end.  I could add stuff like gems or keys that need to be collected to open up doors and progress, and switches to start and stop moving platforms.  Bigger questions I'm grappling with are things like: enemies?  yes or no, and if yes, how will they work?  what kind of powerups?  what sort of goals need to be met to progress?  What should the character be?  All the models and textures are currently just placeholders.

As for the Mac question, it runs natively in Tiger.

@doomlaser, mark johns
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 06:02:01 PM »

wow.

reminds me of BUG!

i thinks the characters clash with the environment, and of those forst screen. the abstarct untextured one look MUCH better than the ones with textures.

but thatn anti-aliased one looks amazing.

also, i hate the name.
must be a french thing. "rot" is burb.
so to me its just as if you called it burbrix.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 08:54:54 PM »

Some of these pictures look incredibly atmospheric  Kiss

I agree with fish, the more abstract ones look more fun to play. The look of the first image, which seems to have some real or fake global lighting, is much more impressive than the look of the one with the trees.

If it was me, I'd forget the dragons and the cartoon cats and make it look like Marble Madness. :-)

The exciting thing about these pictures is imagining what kind of puzzles would become harder through the rotation mechanic. For example, you can see what's ahead of you on the roof, but not what's ahead of you on the floor.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:35:58 PM »

enemies?  yes or no, and if yes, how will they work?
Yes. I think enemies that, rather than directly harm the player via the ol' chase 'n' attack mechanic, have them be like, integrated into the level. Walls with eyes that crush you if you get too close, large dudes with blades for arms that spin spin around around, creatures that hop from the ceiling to the floor and back again. Perhaps have a few enemies whose duty it is to push the player off the stage. Enemies that are more like killable traps, I guess. But that's just MHO.

what kind of powerups?

Able to jump from floor to...floor above. Jump higher. Uh...time freeze? (including the stopping of the level's rotation)
hell, fire breath, invincibility, bomb (to kill all nearby enemies), etc.

what sort of goals need to be met to progress?
Well, you already have "collect things". Maybe switches, doors, stuff like that?
Time challenges, Kill-all-the-enemy challenges...

What should the character be?
I already told you my humble opinion, but in case you forgot Wink
A simple man made of cubes and boxes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:09:12 PM by Xion » Logged

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 11:38:35 PM »

What if you could hit a switch to 'unwrap' the level and set it flat?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 12:55:23 AM »

You need more mechanics based on the fact that the world is a cylinder. Currently there's no floor - how about a Super Mario Galaxy-style thing where you can jump out of the cylinder and walk on the outside of it? I wonder what that actually adds though. At the moment, the ceiling is the floor - that's cool. I think you can use that somehow, but I'm not sure how at the moment. Have you thought about what happens if you have a "ceiling" going along the length of the cylinder, along its axis? Also, let's say you have an upright ladder - eventually you get to the other side, it could be like a shortcut or a way to get to a different zone that you can actually see but not get to because of walls or whatnot.

Have you read the 'Rendezvous with Rama' by Arthur C Clarke? If not, I recommend you do!

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:51 AM »

This looks somewhat smecksy, will be waiting for this
K. Thor Jensen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 06:42:15 AM »

Yeah, this looks really nice. I agree with other commenters - the sort of cartoony animal characters don't work so well and a more abstract protagonist would be a better fit. I think working with your central conceit will produce some interesting results - why stick with cylindrical shapes? Why not try a cone, or a torus?
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 07:20:47 AM »

Have you ever played the old DOS game Skyroads?  This looks quite similar in concept, especially the level structure which is basically the same but on a plane instead of a sphere.  In that game the only basic gameplay mechanic was having a throttle which determined how far you could jump but also how easy it was to avoid obstacles.  There were only a few different kinds of obstacle, like tunnels, but there was a fair amount of variation in the stages and it was quite challenging.

I'm going to have to pitch in with a few others and say that the abstract levels look far more inviting.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »

Man, Skyroads was excellent!

I like the abstract levels and also the textured level at the bottom. The level with the monkey/cat thing and the trees looks a bit jumbled.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »

Hello there!

The game looks promising but you should try to see what you can do with your mechanics. Try to focus the game around the fact that we can rotate around the map. For instance, you could have a mechanic where the character moves around and sticks to the ground. You could have powers that are affected by you ebing updside down. You could also view the game as a character that can rotate the floor, making enemies drop from the ceiling when it's turned fast enough.

You have numerous avenues here but the first question you have to answer is how will the player interact with the world. What are the mechanism used. Then, all you,ll ahve to do is build your levels based on these mechanism and see how much the player can master them. Try to go wild... It's always fun when someone brings something new Wink

Do you have something playable?
Later!
guert

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »

This game looks very unique and awesome. One thing I'd like to say though: I would ditch the realistic characters (demon/bear) and environments. Abstract look would fit better for this perhaps... Like just a ball/block or whatever you can make up. Smiley

Just keep up the good work!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 08:02:17 AM »

I personally like the last screenshot best, it's got a nice twisted fantasy world look to it. The abstract style might be easier to carry over to the player and enemies though, and would be easier to keep consistent. Definitely got potential to make a really nice game from this though I think.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 03:30:37 AM »

I've added dynamic shadow mapping, which helps with depth judgement in a setting with such distorted perspective.

@doomlaser, mark johns
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 04:14:19 AM »

I agree with fish, the more abstract ones look more fun to play.

Definitely, I love the abstract level designs....not so sure about the cartoony type platformer characters but perhaps they could work if they were just a little more abstracted themselves to fit the environments....

I think that you should implement a mix between enemies/puzzler elements. But make the enemies more akin to obstacles (which could be puzzles in and of themselves) that the player has to navigate around to complete various puzzles within the framework of the level. I also agree with what Guert said...the gameplay mechanics should be centered around the fact that the player can rotate the levels around to complete various tasks, i.e. you must rotate the level in a certain direction and then jump onto the platform you need to get to using these mechanics...

But, yeah man, it looks great:) Keep up the good work!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 04:32:02 AM »

Yeah, the models and textures are placeholders ripped from other games to test model loading and character animation. 

The character was originally going to be a rat that became increasingly cybernetic, but then ratatouille came out.

Perhaps something like a cubist vectorman.

@doomlaser, mark johns
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 04:37:54 AM »

The character was originally going to be a rat that became increasingly cybernetic, but then ratatouille came out.

I love that design! Screw Ratatouille....if you used that design as the basis of the character model and made it a little more abstracted....it would be perfect!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic