Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:35:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBFF Or Die: 1-4 Player Couch Co-op
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: BFF Or Die: 1-4 Player Couch Co-op  (Read 5886 times)
Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 11:26:22 AM »

Thanks, glad you're liking the look and feel of it Smiley

Yeah, that cylinder is just a placement model. Should be gone soon. And yep, for the moment we don't have a dedicated 1 player mode. So definitely best played with friends. Give it go in multiplayer if you can, most peeps seem to find it a bit of a different game experience from other multiplayer games. Eventually we'll make the proper 1 player mode but not quite yet.

Another thing we'll adjust in future updates is progressing those intro screens at your own time, rather than them being on an auto-skip timer.

The story is very briefly explained in the level 1 intro, maybe you skipped that? I'm sure the final version will have more of our planned story aspect though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:01:51 PM by Shaz » Logged

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 06:13:58 AM »

Here's part 2 of the playthrough by Pixel Rogues. Really liking their response. Hopefully as we continue with development more youtubers will hear about it and make vids. It's definitely a game you need to see people playing to understand the fun of it. Just seeing gameplay footage on it's own isn't enough as half the experience is about the interactions between players.

Pixel Rogues play BFF or Die
They're playing v0.1.8

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 05:08:47 AM »

Pixel Rogues made another vid. Once again they enjoy the teamwork aspect a lot and have a lot of laughs while playing. It's really encouraging to see this kind of reaction and also very helpful. We're working on a new update and watching them play has informed what changes we want to make.

Pixel Rogues play BFF or Die. Part 3
They're playing v0.1.8

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »

Here's part 4 of the play-through by Pixel Rogues. This is the last level of the version they are playing. Some of the changes we're making in the next update are a result of watching them play so these vids have been really useful.

In parts 1 and 2 it took them a while to notice the temporary power gauges for each of the thee machines. So we're getting rid of them and adding the in-world power gauges we had planned. These will be in the player's field of view and much easier to notice. Generally we're going to try and have as much of the HUD inside the game world as possible. I'd prefer to not have any abstract 2D HUD elements at all but we'll see if that works out..!

Pixel Rogues play BFF or Die. Part 4
They're playing v0.1.8

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »

Alex has been making some mock screenshots to show the direction of how final graphics will look. Here's the first, a close up of the space-time machine.

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »

The core gameplay is pretty solid at this point. We've been working on UI recently and this will go out soon in update 0.1.9.

We're also thinking about presentation in general now. A next step is character animation. Alex has been rigging the main character model, you can see that in the video below. We're thinking to make the animations quite comedic and not too traditional. Will be interesting to see how animation changes the feel of the game.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 06:02:59 AM »

The pick up and drop arm looks great and the move speed looks good too, been a while since I've seen the game in action. Keep up the good work!
Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »

The new update is out Smiley

You can download v0.1.9 from here: http://honey-tribe-studios.itch.io/bff-or-die-early-access

The youtuber vids above have been really useful to watch. A lot of the changes we made are based on watching those reactions as well as from observations at game events.

And here are some more mock images of what we're aiming for in terms of art style. A lot of bright neon alien-like effects illuminating the darkness.

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »

The pick up and drop arm looks great and the move speed looks good too, been a while since I've seen the game in action. Keep up the good work!

Cheers Smiley Yeah it's moved on quite a lot since you last played/saw it. Feels like we're making good progress. Now we just need to sort the hard part aka get funding so we can finish it..!

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:46 AM »

A new youtuber vid this time from Chef Kiyo. Although it's designed to be multiplayer he's playing it as a 1-player game. Eventually we will add a dedicated 1 player mode so it's good to see he finds the gameplay very engaging/fun while playing alone.

Still more work to do on the learning curve. We're yet to add a bunch of visual cues that will make the decoy mechanic more obvious to new players. Also should have a level before level 2 that forces you to use the decoy but without any danger.

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »

Here'a a vid of the guys from Super Kickin' It playing a 4 player game. With only 2 people. You could call it "hardcore mode" Smiley

This is part two when they have already figured out how the Decoy works so they are getting better. In part 1 it took them a while to understand. That's something we're fixing. We're adding extra levels to break up the amount of things you learn at a time.

Super Kickin' It play a 4-player game. With only 2 people...!
They're playing v0.1.9

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 06:21:30 AM »

Here's part 3 of the play through by Super Kick'n It. They're still playing with 4 characters and only 2 people.

Good to see how engaged they are with gameplay and how much they enjoy it despite the difficulty.

One of them has a dodgy analogue stick on the controller which makes his character drift to the left unintentionally. May try adjusting the dead zone on the controller config so others don't get that.

They're playing v0.1.9

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »

v0.2 is now out. It has more levels, more surprises and less bugs!

Get it from here for PC, Mac and Linux.
http://honey-tribe-studios.itch.io/bff-or-die-early-access

For UK peeps, I'll be showing it at 2 events this April. First at Insomnia Gaming Festival (i54) Friday 3rd - Sunday 5th. Then at Gadget Show Live at the Birmingham NEC Tuesday 7th - Sunday 12th. If you're at either stop by the indie sections and say hi.

Full change log of v0.2

There are now 30 levels. New levels: 2,3,14,20,27,29
Existing levels adjusted and/or rearranged
New almost-level-end surprises Smiley
Improved tutorials.
A few new sound effects.
Recharge time on zap power adjusted, now a couples seconds faster.
Mummy speeds adjusted, faster on some levels, slower on others.
Teleport drone controls adjusted. Again. Now even easier to fly.
Grabber and Teleport Drone targets adjusted - easier to aim.
Can't high five through walls to finish the level.
Can't collect energy orbs when dead.
Fix for the anti-grav box. No more accidental cheating!
No more infinite death-revival loop!
Various other fixes/adjustments.

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

Recently I took the latest build to Insomnia Gaming Festival and Gadget Show Live in the UK.

Here's a vid of the Tuesday and Wednesday of the Gadget Show. I was asking people what their initial thoughts were. At previous events I just recoded them playing but thought it was time to get 1st impressions on video too. Glad to say it all went really well. It's encouraging that they are often saying similar things and talking about the teamwork aspect of the gameplay.

Watching people who know nothing about the game is the best way to test and identify things which are not working. The learning curve is still not right for one particular mechanic - the decoy/zap. Will have to rethink how the game will teach that to the player. Really should get round to replacing the temporary and confusing menu too..!

Player Interviews/Reactions from Gadget Show Live 2015
They're playing v0.2

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »

We had some nice news recently. BFF or Die was awarded best multiplayer game by an industry panel for Game On 2.0. This means it will be part of a 5 month exhibition at the Life Centre in Newcastle, UK starting on May 23rd. There will be 100 games set up to play spanning the last few decades of gaming from the 70s onwards.

I probably have a habit of showing things in public too early as I get all excited about them. At least this time it worked in our favour Smiley We've still got a ways to go before we can say it's finished. But it's very encouraging to see people responding well to the core gameplay even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles yet.

Here's a vid of the 1st day of stage demos from Gadget Show Live. Including a bit where the presenters get random people to play from the live audience and then unexpectedly ask them what they think of the game...

They're playing v0.2

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 05:52:24 AM »

We're nearly ready to release a new update. This one will have our first character animations in. The core gameplay had been solid for a while so now it's time to make it all look nicer. Alex has done a great job bringing the mummies to life. You can see a preview in the video below. I've not seen other people play with these new animations yet but I think it might add to the feeling of panic as you're being chased. Now they look like they really want to get you! Smiley Interestingly they also look faster even though the movement speed has not changed.

Animation update, May 2015

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 11:25:39 AM »

Not updated this thread in a while but we've been busy working on the game and released version 0.21.3 which has a load of changes.

You can get from our page on itch.io: http://honey-tribe-studios.itch.io/bff-or-die-early-access

The character animation are in. Still the first iteration of them but *so* much better than having static t-poses Smiley When I look back at old videos it looks so much better now.

Also has the first iteration of 1-player mode. Much of the gameplay is the same as multiplayer but the movement of the 2nd character is restricted. Instead of being able to walk around the map they are confined to the machines. Seems like it works quite well.

Another thing we've been working on for a while is smoothing out the learning curve. From the first videos i've seen of v0.21 this might well be the first version where all new players will understand the decoy mechanic. We changed the tutorial puzzles where you learn how to use it and they seem to be working really well.

We'll be taking it to Insomnia Gaming Festival in the Uk in a few weeks so that will be a good testing ground to see if all the changes are working as well as we think they are..!

v0.21: Player Reactions & Gameplay

Part 5 from Mom Approved Let's Plays
They're playing v0.20.5

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 07:57:55 AM »

Update 006: Radius Festival

I took the latest build to Radius Festival in London. We were going to do a 4 player demo with Alan Zucconi, Mike Bithell, James Wood and Philippa Warr.

Woah I can't believe it took this long to come across the thread. I loved playing the game at Radius last year and it is so good to know you are still developing! I may be at Insomnia, it would be so awesome to see you again! Are there any meetups happening in London before the end of August? I am currently staying here for an internship.

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2015, 07:30:44 AM »

Update 006: Radius Festival

I took the latest build to Radius Festival in London. We were going to do a 4 player demo with Alan Zucconi, Mike Bithell, James Wood and Philippa Warr.

Woah I can't believe it took this long to come across the thread. I loved playing the game at Radius last year and it is so good to know you are still developing! I may be at Insomnia, it would be so awesome to see you again! Are there any meetups happening in London before the end of August? I am currently staying here for an internship.

Only just saw this message, sorry! But for future reference there are always meetups going on in London. A lot of them will be posted in the London Indies page on meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/London-Indie-Game-Developers/

And yep, we're still working on the game Smiley Just moved to Unity 5, it mostly works already but there are a few things we need to fix...

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »

We've recently been spending time working on visual feedback and overall appearance. We updated to Unity 5 and this felt like a good time to change and improve a bunch of stuff. Updating was actually much less painful than I expected and most of the game was already working as it should.

Other changes include redrawn environment textures. The characters are getting more towards how we want them too. It feels like we have our art style now. It has a much cleaner feel and suits the characters and game world well. We're still fixing/changing a few things but should release this new version publicly soon..!

Latest Screenshots, Unreleased (October 2015):

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic