Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:30:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogscold void
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: cold void  (Read 4897 times)
Sakar
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »

Working on a build-a-spaceship-then-fight-things-then-explore-and-die game. Originally started this for 7DRL, but it grew too much.

Current idea for the game involves a couple game modes.
1) Endless: Travel through increasingly more hostile sectors while upgrading your ship. Maybe fight bosses sometimes.

2) Bounty Hunter: 1 large sector. Track down wanted criminals to kill them or retrieve valuable cargo.

I'll go into more detail on some of the game mechanics a bit later. For now have some screenshots (Click for full size)

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »

Sexy pixel.
Post to subscribe.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »

Looks cool, indeed. I think the space is a bit bare, but I like the idea and the graphics are pretty solid! o/

Sakar
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »

Thanks! I'll add better star rendering as well as nebulae and such to the background in the future.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:19:12 PM by Sakar » Logged
Sakar
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »

Bombs

Needs some sort of indication that the bomb was fired. Maybe a small puff of smoke?
Bandages
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »

It was hard to tell there was a bomb in that screenshort* and I think the cause is that everything appears to be the same shade of red. I think making the movement particles the same color as weapon particles will lead to some visual confusion. Perhaps a more neutral color for the engine exhaust, such as white or yellow, could make things more clear.

Everything looks great by the way. Games with a lot of customization are always promising.

*screenshort meaning short film, while screenshot is a still
Sakar
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »

Thanks! Yeah I guess the red + orange particles do blend with the weapons too much.

This is a bit better I think

I'll probably reduce the amount of thruster particles a little, and make them more transparent.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

Looking good! Is this inspired by the board game Galaxy Trucker in any way?

Sakar
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »

Hadn't heard of it until just now, actually. I'll have to look at it in detail, see if I can draw anything from it.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »

Cool stuff. Made me think of SpaceBeam which unfortunately got abandoned, like most tig devlogs. Smiley

Sakar
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »

Haha oh geez, it appears I posted in that thread quite a while ago. That's probably where I got some of my ideas
cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »

Looks good!

The wiring structure in the first screens looks like some kind of power routing. I can imagine plenty of gameplay potential there.

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »

Hey man, I'd love to make music for this game.

Looks like it is going to be a good one.

I'll send you a message to your inbox with my work.

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
Noffle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 11:09:15 PM »

This looks gorgeous -- I love the art and the how the ships look in motion. Really really excited to see more.
Sakar
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »

The wiring structure in the first screens looks like some kind of power routing. I can imagine plenty of gameplay potential there.
Those lines show how the ship's parts are connected. They work in a parent-child relationship, where if the parent gets destroyed, all of its children get disconnected. This means that enemies can have weak points that cause whole chunks of the ship to detach.

Added Ion weapons. This is the effect applied to a system when it gets hit.

I also added a trail to bombs to increase their visibility a bit. Gotta fix it not rendering behind the bomb.
Sakar
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »

Added beam weapons. Beams are useful as they can hit multiple modules at once, and are instantaneous. However, they aren't very powerful and can be blocked by shields.

Also added fuel tanks. Fuel tanks increase the amount of fuel you can carry and determine how many thrusters you can have on your ship. They are quite volatile, though, and explode when destroyed.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »

^ Ah, that's cool. I wanted to have shipbuilding in a game of mine I'm working on, but decided against it eventually. Good to see it coming together!

deddhogg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »

Goodness me this looks brilliant. I love this sort of stuff. Wayward Terran Frontier, seen here:

is kind of in the same vein. I don't know if he's still making that. Anyway, this looks delicious, keep it up Hand Fork Left Addicted Hand Knife Right!
Sakar
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »

Added cargo modules and the tractor beam. Cargo modules store ore and modules you take from enemy ships. The tractor beam is used to pull said ore and modules to your ship.

These two items are key parts of the game's focus: strategically disabling enemy ships, not destroying them. To upgrade your ship you will use modules taken from enemy ships. Taking these modules requires either hitting weak spots to detach them, or disabling systems such as thrusters and weapons long enough to rip it off their ship.
Sakar
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »

Took a bit of a break, ended up removing a feature because it kinda broke the feeling of the game. Also realized just how boring the game looked with the empty background and added this

Next up is adding travel between jump points.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic