Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:52:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs21 Bytes - Low Poly Action Adventure Game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 21 Bytes - Low Poly Action Adventure Game  (Read 8343 times)
Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:02:40 AM »

21 Bytes

21 Bytes is a 3rd person action, adventure game.
The game takes place in an open world in which you control an ephemeral character.
His life will decrease with time. To survive, you will have to fight the creatures you will encounter in your environment.

You will have to optimize your movements, to discover and face the creatures you encounter and discover their place in the ecosystem of 21 Bytes.
After defeating a creature, you will gain resources and time. Some resources can be kept only for the fleeting existence of the avatar while others may be retained and used in the next sessions.

Combat

Our combat system is similar to the Cube World combat.
Positioning the player in combat will have a huge importance.

Level Design

The world will be divided into different zones, a bit like in Zelda Ocarina of Time.
The player will begin in a central hub, and will move towards to one of the four areas of the game. The mountain, the desert, the snowy field, the jungle etc...
Each region will have its own level design elements, its enemies and its own boss.

Low poly 3D Art

As you can see, 21 Bytes has a 3D Low Poly Art style.
Our main inspirations are the works of Jeremy Kool, J.R.Schmidt or Timothy.J. Reynolds.

If you are interested in 21 Bytes, you can try a prototype of our combat system here :

Here are some animated gifs from our starting area :

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:36:27 AM by Eniimal » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »

This looks like a lot of fun, really like the art style

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

Yeah, this is cool. Are you planning on having multi-color characters, or will they all be just one color? The combat's looking fun; I liked Cube World's combat.

Vanhail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »

This looks very charming. Those dust clouds never get old.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »

Your combat definitely reminded me of Cube World.
I hope you plan to have lots of enemies with interesting behaviors and many different ways to attack them.

Broozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »

The atmosphere looks nice.
And the character is pretty cool !
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

I love the art style on this, man.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:02:01 PM »

visually looks really cool! One really minor nitpick, I wish the shadows were a bit more transparent so they would allow the color of the environment to come through better.

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »

Yeah, this is cool. Are you planning on having multi-color characters, or will they all be just one color? The combat's looking fun; I liked Cube World's combat.
We are planning to put on the player some visual ameliorations. We think that those ameliorations (helmet, armor etc) will have a different color than the player color.

Your combat definitely reminded me of Cube World.
I hope you plan to have lots of enemies with interesting behaviors and many different ways to attack them.
That's exactly what we try to do. We will soon add a throwing weapon and some enemies that can also attack from a distance. Our main reference is again Zelda in which every enemi is in his way a puzzle.

visually looks really cool! One really minor nitpick, I wish the shadows were a bit more transparent so they would allow the color of the environment to come through better.
You are right, the shadows are too dark, we still have a lot to do to improve the visual aspect of 21 Bytes.

Thanks for all your comments everyone Smiley

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »

Really cool looking game, I love the art style Smiley Keep up the good work!

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »

We added a new monster in 21 Bytes.

For now, we only have a few totally different monsters implemented, we know that we will need to have a certain number of monsters in a game like that but we dont know what that number is.

So I asked myself :
How many different monsters will you expect in a game like this one ?

We thought that we could do several variations of the same monsters by adjusting their color, size and their behavioral parameters (speed, attack value, defense, attack speed, etc.)

But we dont know again what could be this number of variations of a same monster ?
We dont want that these variations to be perceived as artificials by the players. This could happen if we make too many variations of the same monster.

I think that your opinions would be very helpful on these issues.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »

The visual style looks pretty cool and the movement looks fun.  One comment is that the attack seems to lack impact/feedback.  Could use a bit of knockback, screenshake and/or frame-freeze to really drive home the hit.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »

The low-poly art and gameplay looks great. The camera looks great, nice view, shows off surroundings. Keep it up!  Wink Gomez

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »

We added a throwing weapon this week. A spear.
We also added a few variations of our first monster.
Everything starts to fall into place.

I saw that a lot of games here were also on IndieDB. Should we make an IndieDB page for 21 Bytes ?

The visual style looks pretty cool and the movement looks fun.  One comment is that the attack seems to lack impact/feedback.  Could use a bit of knockback, screenshake and/or frame-freeze to really drive home the hit.
That's definitely something we are going to improve.

The low-poly art and gameplay looks great. The camera looks great, nice view, shows off surroundings. Keep it up!  Wink Gomez
Thanks a lot Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »

Yeah, it would be a good idea to gather some more steam / followers. Twitter also helps a lot.

Are you planning to alpha-release this, maybe on Steam or Desura, KickStart it, or wait until it's finished?

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »

Hand Any Key yes

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:29 AM »

Yeah, it would be a good idea to gather some more steam / followers. Twitter also helps a lot.

Are you planning to alpha-release this, maybe on Steam or Desura, KickStart it, or wait until it's finished?

Thanks, we now have an indieDB page :

We don't know what we will do with 21 Bytes, but it can certainly be distributed in alpha acces.
21 Bytes is designed to have a great replayability due to the ephemeral aspect of the player.
A bit like in a rogue like game, the ennemies will randomly give new weapons to the player when they die.
We hope to have as many different weapons as possible.
An alpha acces could be a solution.

Hand Any Key yes
Don't break this button Sad

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 05:49:11 AM »

Lately, we had a lot of feedbacks about 21 bytes, and more precisely about the combat system of 21 Bytes.
Those feedbacks were very interesting, they helped us a lot. They allowed us to focus on some of the aspects of 21 Bytes.

But with those feedbacks, some of you asked us the same thing :

Why wouldn’t you put a lock system in 21 Bytes ?

Eh, that’s a good question, why not ?
After all, we don’t hide our inspiration of the Zelda series. So, why not ?

We already thought about using a Lock system for 21 bytes, but each time, we decided not to use it.
The combat system in 21 Bytes is based on the player placement. 21 Bytes is not really like a beat them all. You don’t have a lots of combos.
We don’t want the player to know how to memorize and use a large number of attacks, we want him to learn to develop reflexes and understand and avoid the enemies behaviors.
The monster’s behaviors were made with this philosophy in mind. If we add a lock system in 21 Bytes, we would just break the balance of the game.
Adding a lock system would make the game too easy or too hard in some other case.

But why making this choice in the first place?
We did it for several reasons.

At our level, it’s much more affordable for us to make a combat system based on placement and dodging.
In addition, this combat system allows the player to face multiple enemies at once. This will happen often because the enemies have a group behavior. It’s hard to fight 5 or 10 enemy with a lock system when they all attack you at the same time.

And finally, the last reason:
It’s linked to the ephemerality of the avatar. The avatar has a time limit, he is constantly under constraint, constantly pressed by time.
Adding a lock system would create a conflict between this sense of urgency and the slowness of a “locked” fight. A fight in which the two opponents turn around each others.

And that’s for all these reasons that we decided not to have any lock system in 21 Bytes.

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 05:18:53 AM »

Hi,

Here are some new creatures we added :

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:35:45 AM by Eniimal » Logged

Broozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 08:20:21 AM »

Good progress ! Go on !  Hand Thumbs Up Right