Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:50:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGangster Tactics: Pile Them In
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Gangster Tactics: Pile Them In  (Read 17257 times)
FuriousGamer87
Level 0

TBS Indie Developer at your service!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »

Finished the movement range tiles and animation.
Also linked them up into the game and setup the function to call them up when necessary.

Look, Roger, there are green lights projecting over where I can go! Technology!

What's your opinions of the movement tiles?
I try to be a bit unique while trying to make sure it still convene the range of the characters' movement and also looking good.
Does it work?

FYI, before I continue on to create the battlefield UI, I need to finish the Mission UI and the battle preparation UI firstly. Totally forgot about the mission UI where the players learn a bit about the turf and its denizens that they are about to fight. There are more details about the Mission UI and I will explain those when I finish some of its functions and assets.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »

Ok, after a lot of feedbacks, I decided to go with this tiles to show movement range, mostly because they look tidy, good and also unique enough.

Cleaner! Tidier! That is the Green Spotlights 1000. Get yours today!

Also finish my mockup for the Mission UI.
It supposed to keep track of the progress of the mission and how many battles you have fought and how many still remains in that particular mission.
I haven't finish the second battlefield layout so I am using the first one as placeholder in lieu of the second one temporarily.
After some thoughts, I decided to cut out some planned extra features from it as it is just clutter/ busywork and does not add to the gameplay in a good sense.

In another dimension, Andrew is the one who going to bust Harry's favorite bar

Will now code this portion of the game soon.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 04:54:10 AM »

Finish coding my mission UI screen.
On the way, I also finish the buttons features and the bottom GUI functionality.
With most of the stuff I have done are using functions, I can call and change each elements easily.

Oh shit! Better go back to my post before Harry noticed I am missing.

Now I will be focusing on the gang screen and the codes to store the player's gang's members.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:08 AM »

Yet another progress report (Seriously though, I have no idea how else to start my progress report)

I finish up the player's gang array.
It take helluva lot of time to finish the functions require to populate the array because the array contains 54 columns aside from the first indexing column.
The columns hold vital information from the stats to the current alignment of the character inside the gang.

I also finish up the random name arrays necessary to give names to the characters (aside from the player character, boss and special NPCs)
This is important as player's hired goons need names as do the enemies' mooks.
This also take a fair amount of time as I need to separate the names according to gender and race.
After all, an Irish male named Lakasha is not going to help much in trying to engage the player, isn't it  Wink ?
All in all, there are over 1000 plus names in those arrays so that will ensure very rarely any members of yours or the enemies will ever have the same name.
(P.S. Thank you popular baby naming sites that I won't named. You guys are a great help in this!)

To populate the gang screen, i finish creating a portion of the characters that will be in the demo. Basically the Latinos since I have just be only showing off the Irish and the Africans previously.
To show that, I present to you:

From the left to right; Civilian, Brute, Punk, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Provocateurs

This is definitely not the main cast for a latino pixel version of Glee, I swear

And of course, the female editions, because of equal opportunity  Wink

And these are not their love interests, seriously not.

Will finish up the gang screen in the near future.
Also I will be deleting the current progress on the opening post since it is tiring for me to keep updating it.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »

Progress report for yesterday work.

I finish slicing parts of the character sprites to make it easier to animate and to transfer animations to each different character after just one is done.
This is pretty much based on the techniques used by expert animators for square enix to lessen their workload.
What works for the goose, works for the gander.

Moreover, after some consideration, I decided to changed the way I design characters in the game.
At first, I want the each races in my game to look differently in term of color,clothing and hairstyle despite mostly sharing the same stereotypes.
However, after spending quite some time just animating different characters, I decided that is way too much workload for me to handle.
I am the only developer for this game, with Sam Jones providing the soundtracks.
If I continue with this methodology, I can only finish this game after around 5 years of just animating pixels.

So, I come out with new method, I will try to make each stereotype look different from each other in term of hairstyle and clothing.
However, the difference for each race for the same stereotype is just skin and hair color instead of overall color haul also in clothing and different hairstyles.
With just this and the earlier slicing , I reduce my workload by a huge margin with a dip in variety, which I hope you guys will forgive me.
After all, if possible, I plan to finish this game within a year time frame with the demo coming out hopefully in another two months or so, give or take a few weeks.

The Latino Squad practicing their moves for the dance off

Do not worry, special NPCs and bosses will still have their own character animation and design, separated from mooks (both yours and theirs).
Moreover, racial stereotype unique to each race is still in.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »

Yesterday progress report.

Finish the walking animations for the all the classes available for the player in the demo based on the new methodology.
What I am showing is based on the latinos, however based on the answers you give in the character creation section of the demo, you will get different racial versions.

From the left to right; Brute, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Punk, Provocateur 

FINALLY their useless gang leader decide to splurge on clothing and haircuts. Now they don't need the nametags to tell who is who anymore.

Now progressing on finishing the gang screen.

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »

This looks great man!

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »

This looks great man!

Thanks, Sam. Your music are excellent too.  Grin

Progress from yesterday.
Changed the gang screen button to something better. Also created a lot of buttons for the gang screen.

Finish drawing the stereotype (class) icons for the characters in the player's gang.

From the left to right: Brute, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Punk, Provocateur

Also their favorite graffiti to paint over walls

Suggestions are welcomed.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 01:15:57 AM »

Progress for today and yesterday.

I finish creating the bottom part of the Battle UI. While this may seen to be a small part, it actually involve a lot of code and assets.
Also need to insert another new font I have forgotten into my game to represent lives.
The good thing is that I had created in a way that allow me to call on this UI with a single function and with only a single parameter (Unit ID).
Hard work today for easy work in the future. Beer!

The UI in question. I changed it to be shorter so I can put another one on the right side with room to spare for a very obvious reason if you played any FFT or TO games before.

Henry is such a showoff sometimes

I also have fix some assets to look better. Also have finish most of the gang screen assets.

Will focus on coding the remaining of the gang screen.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 05:55:57 AM »

Progress for today.

Finish coding 50% of the functions for Gang Screen. Quite a lot of code of the backend to compute what to show and how to show.
 I am beginning to have a healthy dose of admiration and respect for the programmers of TO.
Teach me not to underestimate to work needed in the backend.

Gif to show progress as usual

Please don't judge James sexual identify. He had a hard life   Cry  

Next on my list of things to bash about until they work are the buttons interactions in the Gang Screen, specifically to arrange the characters in there and the cycle stats mechanism.
If you are familiar with Tactics Ogre : Let's Us Cling Together, there are four sorting options, namely : Manual Sort, Sort Criteria, Change ID No.  and Reassign ID No.
I don't know about you guys, but I have not and have never heard of anyone using the last two options.
Usually only the first is being used to put all the heavy hitters that you want to use for the upcoming battles to the front and kick all the rejects to the back.

Therefore, I intended to implement only first two sorting features.
There are already a lot of features I still need to do without adding the ones that no players will ever touch.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »

Just a quick visual update.

Change the bars(HP,SP and AP) from the previous

to this one

The new ones should resolve most of the complaints that the previous ones look tacky, r-right?

Back to focusing on the coding until my brains melt.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:03 AM »

Nearly finish the Gang Screen features with exception of the sorting feature.
Those need to wait until after Ludum Dare is over.
I will be participating in the event during the weekend so this is pretty much the final progress report for this week.
The controls for Gang Screen are online, the cycle stats works and some fixes for some of the arrangement.

As usual, gif to show demonstrate results

Don't ask why two "girls" and one guy share the same name. Please don't

I also decide to cap units at 30 for the overworld balance purpose as I realize too many units in the player gang makes assignments seem trivial and not strategic as I hoped since the player can spare so many units if I stick with 100 as the unit cap.
With the highest amount of unit the player can field into a battle is 12 (only at the last chapters and on special battles), 30 seems to be a nice number to ensure strategic planning is required in the overworld instead of mindless clicking.
I also probably need to set a reasonable price for new recruits to avoid padding but still allow the players to recruit fresh troops to supplement their tactics.
One of the idea is to go with exponential pricing where the more you recruit, the more each new member cost you.

Tell me what you think.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:50 AM »

Alright new week, new progress
Too bad, ludum dare didn't turn out well for me as I have personal problems that occur during that time that forced me to drop out to handle the situation.
Oh well, there always will be the next ludum dare, after all.

Today progress is that I finally finish all of the gang screen features. All the sorting mechanism from manual to criteria sorting works.
Also the class list features that is in TO:LUCT is delegated into DJ Avery News section as that feature is more about class info and less about how many of each class that you have, at least from the experience of people that I known of.
Also, I finished linking all the stats tables together to create function that is capable of churning out random gangsters for the player based on stereotype, race and gender.
Make everything going forward easier as I no longer have to depend on cheap templates to serves as test subjects for my coding.

As usual, gif to show progress

Roger don't understand why an evil entity called "~Developer-kun~" ask him to check and sort an enemy gang that going to kick his arse into orbit in a short while

Moving on to the Battlefield Placement UI, the UI where you arrange your troops for the battlefield.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 08:44:54 AM »

Small progress today
I blame it on catching up on Jojo's Bizarre Adventures instead of doing game development properly. Cheesy
Nonetheless, I finish half of the Battlefield Preparation UI, specifically the Unit Selection portion
Probably finish the UI by the tomorrow or the day after.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 06:55:42 AM »

Progress report for the last two day.
I finish the battlefield placement/deployment UI.
The features are pretty much highly inspired from Tactics Ogre: Let's Us Cling Together  version.
After all, I don't think you can improve much on the perfection for their version.   Beer!
Well, at least, I can't.  Wink

As usual, gifs to show progress
The first one show how characters are deploy using the UI

Knowing ~Developer-kun~ , Juan David don't know if he should feel sad or happy that he is left out of the battle party

The second show what the buttons on the left side do

Going to take some time to do some small cosmetic change and re-factoring before moving on to the meat of my game, the tactical battles, which I am specialized at.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 08:02:42 AM »

Totally forgotten about the part that I need to make enemies and differentiate them from the players. I use uniform colors to do so. Not showing the secret enemy stereotype until the demo is ready though  Wink

Also working on the turn and status manager for the battlefield. There's are lot of inter-connected arrays that need to be properly arrange to work at optimal result.

Continuing on with the coding until it works or I make a hole in the wall by head bashing it.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »

Yet another progress report
Finish the round and status manager for the battlefield.
Meanwhile, I also re-factor some of the code for smoother handling.
In addition, I have finish the enemy and player battlefield spawning code.
The enemy is the easy one, the player is the hard one which took me quite a while to do because I mispelt a variable, causing me to spend two hours on debugging why it doesn't work   Cry .
I like to think we all been there.

The Death Cross gang once again marvel at their teleportation tech that they possess, yet wonder why they are not equipped with laser guns.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »

And again, the usual progress report

Finish attaching the dialog features with no issue while implementing another much wanted features, the skip conversation button.
While it is annoying to me as a writer to allow people to skip over my writing, especially when I am making a RPG  :cry: , there are a lot of people out there who enjoy gameplay over story. Besides, it allow for a quicker run if anyone wanted to replay my game (hopefully so).

Also finished the battle start screen. Will focus now on creating the initiative UI at the bottom of the screen and initialize all the rest of the battle UIs that I have previously finished.

As usual, the gifs

Not using the skip conversations version

For one single moment, Patryk thought somebody remember that today is his birthday

The skip conversations version

~Developer-kun~ log 2014 : When I see this feature being used, something inside me die a little

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »

Time for a serving of your usual progress report!

Finish the initiative bar. Bugger take me quite a while to finish because of both the assets and coding required.
But the good news is that I finished it and as usual, can call it with just a function.
Also finish the battlefield selection and scrolling.
Coding the scrolling is easy like hell while the selection require a bit more work since I never done it before.
In addition, I also tune the battlefield placement/deployment screen with some extras to improve the UI's user friendliness.
(Totally not because I forgotten about it in TO the first time around)

As usual, gifs to show progress:
The improvement to the battlefield placement/deployment screen

A new and faster way to send your men and women to their doom!

Initiative bar

Everyone in the battlefield try not to know how ~Developer-kun~ got the heads for the bottom bar

Scrolling and Selection

Although they are curious about why a hovering golden arrow keep popping up in the battlefield

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »

Finish all the basic battlefield controls.
The B button to go back to the character whose have the current turn, the Start button to open up the options and the the A button to open up choices regarding the selected character.

With just all that done, I will now concentrate on the save and load features.
Will trying to attempt to have unlimited saves despite what I have stated in the past because I have a good idea on how to implement that without screwing myself over with a lot of workload or causing bugs.

Hopefully the quit button is not the first button people pressed when they see my game    Beg

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic