Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:20:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGangster Tactics: Pile Them In
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Gangster Tactics: Pile Them In  (Read 17256 times)
Blambo
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »

just plug this into my veins
FuriousGamer87
Level 0

TBS Indie Developer at your service!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »

just plug this into my veins

Um.... I assume you like it? If so, thanks  Smiley

Finish the save and load features!
Took way more time than I thought because I am an idiot who key in the wrong set of properties and didn't know it until much later.
Yes, the save feature in this game in Unlimited saves  :D . Moreover, a new save slot is set on the every top of the Save UI so the player have not need to scroll down to get to the empty save slot ala XCOM : EU.
The load work as well as expected.

The next task is to setup all the other features for the options buttons bar and to setup the save and load on much earlier layouts. As usual, these features are designed to be easily called via just a function. Make every features I have connect to each other easily with minimal fuss.
Probably will think of some way to make the save slots look even better.

As usual, gif to show progress

Unlimited saves! Now, you can send your ret.... gangsters to die in hilarious ways with no remorse (as if you have any before)

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:28 AM »

Finish the options bar for mission UI and nearly finish it for the battlefield UI, with the exception of the Gangsters List, which gives details about all the people in the fight.
No idea on how to make the save slots look nicer, so will leave it finalized just like that.
Will finish the Gangsters List UI after this.

As usual, gifs to show progress:
Mission UI Options Bar

Battlefield Options Bar

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »

Man. I'm loving this more and more! (Screen shake on "Fight It Out" is such a nice touch)

As for the save slots:

You could maybe have an area stamp or something? (Not sure if that makes sense)

I guess, if you save the game in X city, the save slot will have a screenshot of a section of that particular city/area.

Like:

Or, since you seem to enjoy coming up with witty one-liners, you could have a graffiti sketch in the background of the save slot that says something funny?

Or have the portraits of the first few units in your clan lined on the bottom of the save slot (main characters).

Not that the style of your save slot is high on your priority list...

Anyway, fantastic work so far!

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »

Man. I'm loving this more and more! (Screen shake on "Fight It Out" is such a nice touch)

As for the save slots:

You could maybe have an area stamp or something? (Not sure if that makes sense)

I guess, if you save the game in X city, the save slot will have a screenshot of a section of that particular city/area.

Like:

Or, since you seem to enjoy coming up with witty one-liners, you could have a graffiti sketch in the background of the save slot that says something funny?

Or have the portraits of the first few units in your clan lined on the bottom of the save slot (main characters).

Not that the style of your save slot is high on your priority list...

Anyway, fantastic work so far!

Yeah, I have planned for a screenshot to be used to occupy the empty right side of the save slots. Thankfully, Construct 2 have an easy way for doing this, so that's what I will probably show in the next progress report

Thanks for your compliments!  Coffee

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »

Hmm... about the save slots, apparently it isn't smart of me to save screenshots with the save files.
This is because it bloated a below 1 kb file into several hundred kb.
If someone were to save nearly a hundred times (not impossible due to experience with XCOM: EU), then the lag would be ridiculous as all of those would be initialized immediately.
After considering that, I think the save slots is fine as it is  Beer!

Alright! Finish the Gangsters List UI.
It's pretty simple since it's basically Gang Screen code and assets with small changes.
Also, finish drawing the demo's enemy gang small icon.
And now, you get to know the enemy gang for the demo.  
Onward to movement coding so everyone can walk up and beat up each other.

As usual, gif to show progress

Finally, The Death Cross Gang know the gang that they are facing. Meanwhile, Charles and Rhys finally remember their gang's name.

Ryuno
Level 0

Composer, SFX Designer and audio engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »

Looking forward to it!

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »

Looking forward to it!

Thanks. Will try my best not to disappoint!  Beer!

Finally finish the movement feature.
Take longer than I thought due to the complexities of Tactics Ogre movement system of which I am inspired by and at least will try to be as robust as theirs.
It isn't hard, just very very tedious as most of the coding is pretty much bashing with a brick of code until the feature relent and do as it is told.
Also finish the end turn feature.

Its time to to give actions and items to these gangsters.
So for my next task, I am going to finish up the items and attacks stats and also finish the individual Stats Screen which is accessible via Gang Screen, Gangsters List and the Stats button

As usual, gifs to show progress

Everyone showing off their new green flashlights

Much to her friends aghast, Irene is a M

After thirty minutes of this, the battle objective switch to "Beat the crap out of Rafaela"

kratoscar2008
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »

Whats up? Im that anon you talked about your game in that JRPG thread on 4chan and i like what im seeing, i knew you couldnt go wrong taking TO as inspiration.

Anyways thanks for the effort put into making this game and the best of lucks there good man  Gentleman
FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »

Whats up? Im that anon you talked about your game in that JRPG thread on 4chan and i like what im seeing, i knew you couldnt go wrong taking TO as inspiration.

Anyways thanks for the effort put into making this game and the best of lucks there good man  Gentleman

No problem, anon. Will try my best not to disappoint you!  Beer!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »

for the demo.  
^
This is a ways off, right?

Also, I'm curious about the story. Though I haven't played Tactics Ogre (don't shoot!), I did enjoy FFT, and other strategic games that are similar, like Front Mission 4. One thing that really kept me enraptured, outside the battle system, is the story.

Will this game delve deep into that, or is your focus primarily on the mechanical aspect of this project?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:46:25 PM by M4uesviecr » Logged

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2014, 11:56:30 PM »

for the demo. 
^

Yes, unfortunately, there is still a lot of things to do before the game is demo-ready.  Smiley

Also, I'm curious about the story. Though I haven't played Tactics Ogre (don't shoot!), I did enjoy FFT, and other strategic games that are similar, like Front Mission 4. One thing that really kept me enraptured, outside the battle system, is the story.

Will this game delve deep into that, or is your focus primarily on the mechanical aspect of this project?

I understand you.
One of my main interest in developing a role playing game is to tell a good story that people can enjoy.
My usual style of writing is attempting to tell a story with a heavy undertone via lighthearted words.
I haven't been working on the story side of the demo a lot other than its outline as it's a short story that have no connection to the main story itself.
Even the enemy gang shown on the demo will not appear on the main game.
I also realize via harsh words on an anonymous site that my previous dialogue attempts is out of flow and too simple, which I attributed to spending less than 10 minutes on them, since my only concern then and now is showing that my features works.
Please do understand however that I won't post in public, anything other than the basic outline and non-spoiler teasers of both the main game and demo storyline, simply because in my opinion, a story is more enjoyable the less you know about it.

In short, yes.  Smiley
My devlog will primarily be focusing on showcasing the gameplay aspects of the game while not expounding a lot on the stories to prevent spoilers.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »

Oh no, I completely understand! I enjoy the crude/witty humor myself, and assume that it will be a recurrent feature in the game (though I don't expect it to be the forefront of the story narrative).

There are very few games out with this aesthetic (by that I mean a gangster/modern thug flair), so seeing this aspect of the game is enjoyable in itself.

There are a lot of things I am eagerly anticipating, primarily the aural aesthetic! (My initial thought is of something akin to Johnny Rocketfingers.)

kratoscar2008
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »

for the demo.  
^

I wont shoot you because no one deserves to die before playing TO, the story is great and even better because your choices actually tailor the story allowing you to experience both sides of the conflict and see how you influence the course of the story.

Get on it on PSP.

for the demo. 
^

Yes, unfortunately, there is still a lot of things to do before the game is demo-ready.  Smiley

I understand you.
One of my main interest in developing a role playing game is to tell a good story that people can enjoy.
My usual style of writing is attempting to tell a story with a heavy undertone via lighthearted words.
I haven't been working on the story side of the demo a lot other than its outline as it's a short story that have no connection to the main story itself.
Even the enemy gang shown on the demo will not appear on the main game.
I also realize via harsh words on an anonymous site that my previous dialogue attempts is out of flow and too simple, which I attributed to spending less than 10 minutes on them, since my only concern then and now is showing that my features works.
Please do understand however that I won't post in public, anything other than the basic outline and non-spoiler teasers of both the main game and demo storyline, simply because in my opinion, a story is more enjoyable the less you know about it.

In short, yes.  Smiley
My devlog will primarily be focusing on showcasing the gameplay aspects of the game while not expounding a lot on the stories to prevent spoilers.

Good to know, so you will offer branching storylines? Like mutiple gangs to join with in the course of the game?
FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »

Good to know, so you will offer branching storylines? Like mutiple gangs to join with in the course of the game?

There are planned branching storylines, based more on the sum of all the decisions you made during the story and less about that moment of truth where you simply choose a path to go down on. Think Chaos Frame from Tactics Ogre and you will get the right idea.
While your own gang is pretty much set into stone from the get go, there are quite a number of planned NPCs from different walks of life (not just gangs) who will team up with you, based on the myriad decisions you made in the game.

There are still quite a lot of things planned, but I refused to indulge further on those due to spoilers.  Wink
One last note though, that this IS NOT planned to be a Fallout-type exploration sandbox game or a roguelike procedural game.
This is a game with heavy focus on story telling and tactical gameplay.

I apologize if I mislead anyone before on what I planned to deliver with the game.

kratoscar2008
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2014, 06:35:49 PM »

There are planned branching storylines, based more on the sum of all the decisions you made during the story and less about that moment of truth where you simply choose a path to go down on. Think Chaos Frame from Tactics Ogre and you will get the right idea.
While your own gang is pretty much set into stone from the get go, there are quite a number of planned NPCs from different walks of life (not just gangs) who will team up with you, based on the myriad decisions you made in the game.

There are still quite a lot of things planned, but I refused to indulge further on those due to spoilers.  Wink
One last note though, that this IS NOT planned to be a Fallout-type exploration sandbox game or a roguelike procedural game.
This is a game with heavy focus on story telling and tactical gameplay.

I apologize if I mislead anyone before on what I planned to deliver with the game.

Thats great i personally dislike the idea that every games has be to be sandbox/open world like so just stick with TO over  world.
FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »

Thats great i personally dislike the idea that every games has be to be sandbox/open world like so just stick with TO over  world.

Me too. I am glad we think alike in that regard. Smiley

Recently, this game development is featured in RockPaperShotgun
I always happy to be noticed.Grin
Now, if you read the comments, they are less than favorable though, which is of course, an understatement.  Sad
In fact, one person ask me if I going to change anything about my game based on the comments.

My response to him is this:

Frankly, no.
They objected to my style of writing and my sense of humor, which is understandable, given that what I had shown so far is pretty crude. 
While their concerns are valid, I am first and foremost, making a game that me and my friends would enjoy playing and would have no problem recommending to others.
I am not trying to appeal to everyone and I have no problem accepting that some people don't enjoy the light-hearted style of writing that I employ.
After all, I started in this hobby due to my frustration with the lack of robust gameplay in the indie tactics scene and the constant annoying presence of grind in the japanese ones.
There is no rape in the game whatsoever though, you can be sure of that. Just a lot of honest and dishonest violence.  Wink

And now that's out of the way, let's talk about progress.
I just finished the items and equipment tables.
Once again, I underestimated the amount of work required to at least have the same level of complexity in these features with Tactics Ogre.
Add balancing to that, which Tactics Ogre apparently did not do at all, the time that it took me is quite a lot.
What I set out to accomplish with balance is to ensure that all equipment and items are functional and viable.
This ensure no broken builds or that one perfect but boring tactic that you use again and again and again.
Time like this, I am happy for my long experience in tabletop gaming, especially in Dungeon and Dragons.

There is no gif for today, just a more recent mock-up for the stats screen. Going to code it soon.

Cheers  Beer!

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »

Alright, been quite a while since my last progress report.
Finally finish my stats screen, though just the main. All other supporting features; condition, equipment, inventory, etc. coding is still not completed due development exhaustion despite that their art assets are done.
Of course, will do those as soon as I got my dev mojo back.
I have to admit that working through UI code logic is extremely tedious and there's only so much I can slog through each day without puking.
Which is why development at this part was slow and will continue to be slow until I can wrap it up.

Nevertheless, here some gifs as usual to show progress:

No smart aleck remarks this time around due to dev exhaustion.

FuriousGamer87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 04:06:36 AM »

No progress report for this week except for some work for the abilities table and coding (not done yet) for both equipment and item screens.
This is due to taking about a week of break to enjoy a game that in my steam backlog that I strangely urged to play after involved in a heated discussion about it (Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition). The DLCs are really fun, in term of story  :D

Also, this game development will probably be suspended for a while that I am involved in this contest, http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/.
As a developer who just started, I admitted that the prizes that they are offering are just too tempting so I am joining it for a chance to grab them.

kratoscar2008
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »

No progress report for this week except for some work for the abilities table and coding (not done yet) for both equipment and item screens.
This is due to taking about a week of break to enjoy a game that in my steam backlog that I strangely urged to play after involved in a heated discussion about it (Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition). The DLCs are really fun, in term of story  :D

Also, this game development will probably be suspended for a while that I am involved in this contest, http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/.
As a developer who just started, I admitted that the prizes that they are offering are just too tempting so I am joining it for a chance to grab them.

Well thats good, best of lucks in the contest.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic