Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:49:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForged - be a blacksmith, build awesome swords
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Forged - be a blacksmith, build awesome swords  (Read 4351 times)
takeout
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »

How many times have you wished blacksmithing was better-represented and and more impactful in a game? Ever wanted to see the sparks fly and hear the clang of the hammer on iron as you swing? Forged is an attempt to capture that wish by putting you in the gloves of the town blacksmith where you build the items yourself. This is not meant to be a simulation but still be challenging enough to keep you engaged in each weapon or piece of armor you make.

After the mysterious disappearance of the local blacksmith in a city warring with its neighbor, it comes down upon you, the recent apprentice, to build the swords and shields and helmets your knights need to win the war. Your city's knights survive based on the quality of their weapons and armor, so do your best and learn to improve and ultimately master your skills.

Current State Probably too early to be sharing here (you can't even see the swinging of the hammer yet), but why not, right? Below you can see a test run of choosing a weapon to build and then getting the main piece of iron to mold. We will be moving this part to a workbench since you will be working with multiple parts.

Structure The game is mixture of minigames and time management (think cooking mama meets diner dash, but with weapons!). Each tool in your blacksmith workshop will have its own minigame and every step will influence the overall quality of the final product you make. You will be asked to complete multiple items per day. Thee are clear results of your work as knights live or die based on your creations. Of course, we want a bit of personality mixed in too. There will be a story to influence and follow as the war progresses. We have an eye towards making this for mobile, but maybe we can figure out how this can use the mouse.

Inspiration We are looking to make something simple as a first project together. We've done several short films together before so maybe this is another creative outlet we can have some fun with.

Art The art here may or may not stick around. We may try out a few directions as we progress.

Tools We are building the game in Unity with some AfterEffects, Gimp & Photoshop for gfx, and cfxr for sound effects at the moment.

All feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:18:06 PM by takeout » Logged
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »

Instalike, catchy catchy idea. The art looks nice but still interested to see any other ideas you might throw in terms of art. If you ellaborate this style a bit further i feel it will match perfectly.

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »

Awesome looking project man, keep up the good work Smiley

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »

Cool concept!

Arnaud DE BOCK
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:36:59 AM »

Can't wait to see more! Let me know if you need tester!
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »

congratulation for making a game about crafting that's not about adventuring and collecting material.

I'm intrigued. Kiss

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »

Hey man sorry to ask but how's development going?

This project really intrigues me, I want to see where it goes Smiley

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »

I hope it wasn't canceled, it looked really cool

CYON4D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:16:23 AM »

Looks great, can't wait to see more.

Pages: [1]