Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:48:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall'Tanuki Forest a juicy, hand painted 2d game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 'Tanuki Forest a juicy, hand painted 2d game.  (Read 3175 times)
Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:49:58 AM »

Hi guys, I am the art half of a two man team. We just released our first game, Tanuki Forest, and opted for iOS as our platform. We had some lovely reviews and made no money at all! (so far)

My coder and I have decided that whatever we decide to do next needs to be much more involved with the indie scene nect time around and plan to run a devlog etc as we develop the game rather than silence until releasing it.

Tanuki Forest, sees players taking control of a mysterious forest creature as he strives to save his beloved home from the dark forces that surround it. The game features rich hand painted artwork in full retina resolution. It focuses on accessible, one touch, gameplay and offers players an immersive,addictive, fun experience.

Here is our games hero. Akio the flying civet cat (all in game art assets).

He keeps a blog here but be warned he talks some nonsense:
tumblr: http://tanukiforest.tumblr.com/

As you fly into the forest you rescue animals which when collected join a trail behind you. Periodically you reach Shinto gates, where the animals can be left with the forest spirits and returned to safety, making it easier to fly again, or you can decide to keep the chain going making it more difficult for yourself but earning the player a higher score.

The game features a set of guest heroes too (other playable characters who change the game slightly when you play with them, we need to make more of this feature in future versions)

trailer is here:

The game is here.  It is free and as it stands devoid of any IAP aggression so it wont bug you at all, hence us making no money so far!:(

Thanks for looking, we are looking forward to becoming a part of the tigsource community.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:36:58 AM by Cakeypigdog » Logged
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:25:22 AM »

Congratulations, it looks gorgeous. Good luck!

Working on HacknPlan, the planning tool for indie game developers.
Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »

Hi everyone!

As of a few days ago Tanuki Forest is now a premium game priced at $1.99 (£1.49).  It has been a difficult decision for us to make but we have basically not made any money at all through trying the free approach.

For the interests of other developers we have decided to share our download and revenue figures so that others can make a more informed decision about pricing their own games.  As it stands we achieved 8.72k downloads and only $65.52 revenue (before Apple’s cut).   The game equates to about 8 months full time work for two people so obviously not a great return.

We opted for free as we felt it would maximise the amount of potential players but we were naïve about what was involved with actually getting them to spend a little money in the game.  We honestly though 'friendly freemium' could be a cool way forward for indie devs on iOS as it becomes harder and harder to actually sell games.

The plan was not to make millions, rather that Tanuki Forest would make enough money to allow us to spend a bit more time on our next game.

Its tough out there!!

Cheers!

Jake & Jam
niklasvh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

The graphics look absolutely amazing and I love the music in the trailer, well done!
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:06:54 AM »

Thanks for sharing the figures and good luck with the next one! Your drawings look really gorgeous. And it is really tough out there. I have similar revenue figures with both of my games (links in the signature). Is that $60 iAd revenue, or did you have some in-app purchases in the free version?

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

Hi there.
Thanks for the kind words guys!
I did an interview with 148 apps about our epic failure with tf : http://goo.gl/h8Zu1a hopefully some of you might find it useful Smiley
Cheers!
Jake

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic