Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 09:54:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame&Watch style games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game&Watch style games  (Read 1012 times)
z84c00
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »

I guess this kinda goes in art as well but given the constraints of the technology, if you were to design a new type of G&W game, what would it be and what would it look like?

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:02:21 AM »

I think there was some game programming competition on that subject a few years ago that could be a good starting point. My internet skills are not up to finding it now though.
z84c00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »

Yeah, but I was kinda hoping folks on here would chime in rather than point at google.. You know, talk about game design and stuff..

-Z8
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »

I'd love to see some LCD games that lean more towards a level-based game than an endless arcade game for a high score. A puzzle game where you use the LCD tiles to make various mazes (like Sokoban, for example) would be great. Better still if you could find a way to combine various tiles to make a level based action title. You might be able to make a simple version of Super Mario Bros using combinations of pits, goombas and overhead blocks in simple combinations.

Or perhaps you're only interested in endless arcade-style games like most (all?) of the original Game and Watch series.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »

i think a roguelike would be great for the format because

1. realtime tends to be terrible on these things because they're so slow (most of the tiger handhelds were basically unplayable). for a turnbased game it wouldn't really matter.

2. no need to rely on content, you can generate endless dungeon levels

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »

So kids know what we're talking about. (this one is my favorite, and it still works!)

I think a Zelda 2/Binding of Isaac game would work great with the format.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »

Yeah, but I was kinda hoping folks on here would chime in rather than point at google.. You know, talk about game design and stuff..

-Z8

Incredibly unhelpful comment. I did not point you at google, I told you about something closely related that could help you as a starting point learn more on the subject and see what modern designs already exist. The only way your comment makes sense is if creating the thread was only for chit-chat, not to actually research and learn something about what a modern g&w could be like. I know if I was trying to learn about some obscure genre and asking for suggestions on a forum one of the best possible answers would be learning that a bunch of such games have been recently created so I could go study them and possibly feed what I learn back into the forum thread for further discussion.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic