Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:38:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDavid. // A Physics-Based Platforming Boss-fighter!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: David. // A Physics-Based Platforming Boss-fighter!  (Read 1885 times)
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »

Hi Gamemakers!

My name is Andrew Armstrong from Fermenter. We've just released my game, David, a physics-based platforming boss-fighter, on iOS, Windows, and Mac.

http://www.fermentergames.com/david/

You play David, an awfully small abstracted chosen hero tossed into a blissfully simple world overrun by giant culminations of evil physics-beasts. As David, you are given a slingshot-esque gift that you will have to use to conquer your colossus foes. Hold, aim, and fling to attack (Angry Birds style!). 

Think Limbo + Shadow of the Colossus + Angry Birds.

Features a 9-level campaign, a survival/arena/rpg mode, a secret basket-ball-pit minigame, and hats! (Additional levels and other content are in the works.)

Page of info goodies! http://www.fermentergames.com/david/
Trailer Video! 

Press-kit! http://www.fermentergames.com/press-david

Release Date: Out Now!
Price: $2 (on sale for $1!)
Platforms: iOS (SOON), Windows, MacOSX
Where: DavidIsAGame.com (direct)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send em back to me. Reviews and feedback are super helpful!

Thanks so much. Cheers!  Beer!
Andrew Armstrong
Lead Developer // FermenterGames.com

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

Picked it up yesterday after seeing it on IndieGameStand and I'm really enjoying the minimalist abstract style. The gameplay is cool too. Given the description and mix of inspirations, I wasn't sure what to expect, but now that I've played, I definitely see the SotC and Angry Birds inspirations.

The bosses are large angular masses of shapes, moving with oddly menacing animalistic behaviors. One is a lunging, almost bull-like enemy, another a flying cluster that hones in on you as you deftly evade it. The levels progress from simple arena style fights to more puzzle-like battles such as a fight with a shark like boss where you can't bring your weapon below the surface. Each fight has two modes: a normal mode and a hard mode where you only have one piece of health.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Zeusington
Level 0

Core Gaming Isn't Dead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »

Got a demo? Looks neat, and I'd like to try it.
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »

Thanks Christian!!

Sorry Zeusington, no demo! Instead of spending time trying to make a demo that does the game justice, I put that time right into the game, and I definitely think that choice was worth it.

Zeusington
Level 0

Core Gaming Isn't Dead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 07:12:48 AM »

I gave the game a shot anyway. As of the writing of this I beat the bosses on Okay, some on Very, and gave the Arena a whirl.

Long story short, I do not regret it.

A mediocre game would have lost my attention by now, but I've every intention of going back to beat what I couldn't before. This is certainly a game that's hard to do justice via images, video, or advertising. It's easy to write off for the "indie metaphorical shapes and minimalism" thing it's got going, but that's really just a vehicle for the gameplay. That last sentence was weird for me to write, but it's true; The gameplay trumps the whole "indie" thing the images reek of.

Perhaps the most crucial aspect that won me over was the tension of lining up shots. In most games, anything that slows down time is basically a cheat that removes tension and allows you to outsmart sub-par AI, but the foes in this game are so fast that it's necessary, and they're so smart + hard to predict that it won't even save you if you put yourself in a bad position. This is especially exemplified in the Arena where you start out with 1 HP, 1 shot, and no mercy, but you can build up from there to become an unstoppable force of pain. Even so, the game forces you to learn yourself before you get hilariously overpowered, and it still doesn't make the bosses on Very any easier.

I couldn't find any overt flaws worth mentioning, but there were a couple of wrinkles. The Flee encounter on Very using WASD is a small nightmare, but the game supports a 360 pad which allows for more sensitive movement via the left stick. The right stick controls the mouse, but using it for that is hilariously difficult and not very fruitful. The solution? Hold the 360 pad in your left hand, and use your mouse with the right hand! It's incredibly bizarre, but for this game it makes you a glorious god gamer of immaculate skill that allows you to beat Flee on Very with ease. It'd be easy (and tempting!) to tell somebody to git gud and just tough it out, but with such a better option at my disposal I'm simply not going back. If Fermenter is okay with this then call it a day, but it's something worth finding a more viable solution to / setup for.

Finally, there's the issue of price. It's not that it's too high, but rather it's likely so low that people won't feel it's worth bothering with. I asked for a demo specifically for this reason; I didn't want to throw down my card info for something that runs a measly dollar. Perhaps on a mobile device it would be different, but PC games at the dollar price point are often considered shovelware. This game is decidedly not, and it does not deserve to be in this category, so I would make an effort to combat this notion however one can.

Overall, a pleasant surprise. I'm keeping tabs on this!
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »

Long story short, I do not regret it.
Overall, a pleasant surprise. I'm keeping tabs on this!

Man, this was so encouraging to read. It's the most rewarding thing to see feedback like this after putting so much work into something. Thanks a lot, and I'm glad you're having fun!

Speaking of great reviews, the guys at TouchArcade gave David a whirl and wrote up this little gem:
http://toucharcade.com/2014/03/28/david-coming-soon-to-ios/

I'm really pumped about getting the word out about this. The more feedback the better!  Kiss

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »

Awesome game. Beat every level on Okay and Very, except Sin which I only beat on Okay(not yet brave enough to try Very). Flee definitely gave me some trouble on Very, but it was the perfect amount of difficulty to keep me trying. Did all this in about an hour, definitely a worthwhile experience for a couple dollars! Toast Right

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »

Awesome game. Beat every level on Okay and Very, except Sin which I only beat on Okay(not yet brave enough to try Very). Flee definitely gave me some trouble on Very, but it was the perfect amount of difficulty to keep me trying. Did all this in about an hour, definitely a worthwhile experience for a couple dollars! Toast Right

Thanks Xienen! Glad you liked it and I'm glad it wasn't too frustratingly tough. Balancing for difficulty is a strange process, but I suppose I did a good job? Good to know! (Flee is definitely one of the tougher ones to master.) Good luck on Very Sin! :D

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »

I'm up on the iOS app store now!  Kiss

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/david./id777413889

Tons of awesome feedback coming in. FEELS GOOD.  Beer!

http://appadvice.com/review/quickadvice-david

Give it a try, yeah?

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »

Just got featured on the "Best New Games" list on the front page of the App Store. Pretty exciting. The iOS release has been incredible for me.

Also, I'm on greenlight: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249509231

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »

David 1.1 is on its way through the Apple tubes. Get ready to hate these new levels.

3 new levels in fact. And some yellow hair or something. Good luck! Beer!

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »

Apple says version 1.1 is out for iOS! (PC and Mac very soon.)

Here's a few promo codes for you dudes:
http://codehookup.com/412aa121

Also, if you miss these, it's going on sale for $1 really soon. Have fun, and let me know what you think!

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »

A spike in popularity for David; neat!
(#38 Arcade Game on iPad in the US this morning.)

Yesterday and today, for some reason, lots people have been buying and playing. I don't blame 'em! I've been playing again recently and dang, it's quite a bit of fun. Pretty proud of my work. Hopefully for me, this rise in popularity is less of a spike and more of a wave. Let's hope!

If you haven't played it, I can't not recommend it. Wink
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/david./id777413889

---

edit:
Here's why if you're interested: The guys at Laser Dog are rad and chose David as one of their favorite games for an Indie Game Showcase on the App Store. Tah dah!
http://www.laserdog.co.uk/blog/30/10/2014/alone-indie-game-showcase-appstore
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:06:44 PM by Fermenter » Logged

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »

Hey again!

It had been almost a year on Steam Greenlight, and I’d actually given up on Greenlight after it looked like it wasn't going to happen, so it’s really awesome to be telling you about getting Greenlit and the upcoming release.

Thanks to everyone who voted, and thanks to Steam for giving David a fantastic audience.

Making it to Steam is a huge breakthrough for a little developer like me. I've got my foot in the door, so I'm just gonna walk in and make myself comfortable.

Look for David as it launches for $0.99 at 1PM (PST) on February 16, 2015.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/346180

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic