Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:07:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSTARFALLEN --- Procgen--ActionRPG--Open World
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: STARFALLEN --- Procgen--ActionRPG--Open World  (Read 24079 times)
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »

Starfallen is a procedural action-rpg about an engineer that crashes on an alien world, and who is believed by the native aliens to be one of their gods.

Though the world is beautiful, it is dangerous and hostile and the Engineer must find a way home. The Engineer explores the vast alien world inhabited by archaic civilizations, and is snared into a dark conspiracy.

We used to be called Otherworld, but we felt Starfallen was much better name. Smiley

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!
https://twitter.com/PlayStarfallen

https://www.facebook.com/playstarfallen/

April 2014 Gameplay Footage

Our old teaser trailer. It is pretty outdated. New trailer in the works! Music is also not final. Overall, many things have changed since 2014. The gifs are more up to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rpZgk2RgCg

Very old. Around the time we began creating the procedural generation. We got harvesting and interactions implemented, the player can harvest from trees and plants, and pick up their respective drops. You might also notice cute blue creatures; that's our first implemented creature for this biome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqy4RrQsmc4

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:11:28 AM by seancruz » Logged

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »

This looks amazing so far.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »

hrngh good
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »

The art for the mockups looks absolutely incredible ! Very interested in seeing where this goes. especially like the image with the strange language glyphs followed by what appears to be an expression in a speech bubble !

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »

Thanks guys! We'll be updating with more stuff. Make sure to follow our twitter and spread the word!

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

These mock-ups are looking great. Reminds me a lot of what Capy is doing with Below. The logo is very similar.

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »

Loving the concepts Smiley
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:02:21 AM »

Looks like Sci-fi Don't Starve.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »

Hey guys so glad to see your support! Yes, indeed Don't Starve was one of my biggest influences when creating the idea.

Here's a new concept art with clothing and armors for the Cai, the native aliens of Otherworld. Make sure to click on the image for a larger preview! And make sure to follow us on Twitter for more updates: https://twitter.com/playotherworld

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:08:42 AM by seancruz » Logged

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »

Hey guys! new concepts and a video!

We've gotten collision optimized between sectors! The optimization reduces the amount of checks required to figure out if something collides or not. The optimization fixed several issues, namely, walking into the collisions of trees while crossing sectors. Also, the game used to freeze when there were large quantities of characters on the screen, but now it runs smoothly at 60fps constantly.

We're currently working on the main mechanics now: harvesting, crafting, and combat. Of course, there are other mechanics, but we feel these three will compose much of the player's actions and interactions. We want to make it fun, efficient, and smooth. We're gaining ground on the harvesting mechanics; so far, we can harvest a tree, which drops an item that can be picked up.

Besides that, concept art! Help us choose which designs you like. We're thinking of expanding each biome to have a lot of variation in tree and plant designs, and we need your input.

Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »

Wow, you can't believe how good this looks to me. Amazing work.  Epileptic

Just be aware:
(Your game)

(Below)

Don't get me wrong, I even think yours looks better, just watch out.  Wink

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »

Wow, you can't believe how good this looks to me. Amazing work.  Epileptic

Just be aware:

Don't get me wrong, I even think yours looks better, just watch out.  Wink

Yeah I've noticed that. Thankfully it's just a concept and not the final thing. The ruins players will be exploring will definitely need more time spent on visual dev.

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »

I just did a twitter shoutout for this ( @jakegumbleton ), I really love what you guys are doing Smiley harvesting stuff looks ace !
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »

Awesome, thanks Cakeypigdog! New mockup!

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »

I like what I see so far!
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »

Yes!

I talked to one of you guys (the Californian one I'm guessing) at the Global Game Jam at facebook.  Awesome to see a devlog for Otherworld!  Seeing more info and gameplay, I have questions:

1. What tools are you using to make the game? Language/Engine/IDEs/sprite editors/libraries/Unity plugins/etc?

2. The art is beautiful.  What are your artists' workflows like?  Do they work at a large resolution and then scale down?  Are the frames animated by hand or rigged?  If rigged, what program do they use for rigging?

3. In your concept art, a large part of the picture is out of focus (in the foreground and background).  I don't know the name for this technique (I'm sure there's some photography jargon for it), but I think it looks cool and gives it a "miniature" look.  Incidentally, Capy's game "Below" seems to be using a similar rendering technique in-game.  Are you guys planning on bringing that aesthetic into the gameplay?  If so, how will you do it?  Is it just a simple blur mask slapped on top of the rendered frame or is there more to it?

4. Your concept art also has multiple layers of depth.  Like multiple planes in the z axis.  Are you planning on building a system that is capable of handling movement up and down between planes, or just restricting it to one plane like Don't Starve.  If you are, I'd be really interested in the implementation.

Anyways I'm just happy this game is getting made! Needless to say it looks great, and if the results of the game jam were anything to go by you guys have some serious talent. Good luck.

Caravan: devlog | website
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 10:21:48 PM »

MMPH I really like the look of this; the style/colors are really engaging. Looking forward to seeing more.   Hand Thumbs Up Left Blink Hand Thumbs Up Right

(Also, I'm totally interested in the answers to crusty's questions.)

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 02:05:31 AM »

Yes!

I talked to one of you guys (the Californian one I'm guessing) at the Global Game Jam at facebook.  Awesome to see a devlog for Otherworld!  Seeing more info and gameplay, I have questions:

1. What tools are you using to make the game? Language/Engine/IDEs/sprite editors/libraries/Unity plugins/etc?

2. The art is beautiful.  What are your artists' workflows like?  Do they work at a large resolution and then scale down?  Are the frames animated by hand or rigged?  If rigged, what program do they use for rigging?

3. In your concept art, a large part of the picture is out of focus (in the foreground and background).  I don't know the name for this technique (I'm sure there's some photography jargon for it), but I think it looks cool and gives it a "miniature" look.  Incidentally, Capy's game "Below" seems to be using a similar rendering technique in-game.  Are you guys planning on bringing that aesthetic into the gameplay?  If so, how will you do it?  Is it just a simple blur mask slapped on top of the rendered frame or is there more to it?

4. Your concept art also has multiple layers of depth.  Like multiple planes in the z axis.  Are you planning on building a system that is capable of handling movement up and down between planes, or just restricting it to one plane like Don't Starve.  If you are, I'd be really interested in the implementation.

Anyways I'm just happy this game is getting made! Needless to say it looks great, and if the results of the game jam were anything to go by you guys have some serious talent. Good luck.

:D

C# with XNA, but we'll be porting to monogame when the time comes. We're currently making the graphics on Photoshop at about 60% larger than the actual size. We are using Spine to do all the animations, which helps tremendously!

Yes, we'll be having a depth of field sort of effect. I am not sure of the details of how that will happen. Nils, the graphics programmer would know. I'll ask him soon.

Otherworld will have layers or floors, I guess would be a better way of putting it. There will be cliffs and elevation in the game. Right now, we have a very rudimentary build on that, but we're putting that aside to finish the mechanics.

Glad you're a fan!

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 02:39:50 AM »

This looks really promising, followed the twitter.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 06:44:02 AM »

Every single mockup and concept is is so beautiful! Kiss

Following!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic