Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:10:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCitybound
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Citybound  (Read 18140 times)
anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:09:14 AM »

Hi everyone!

A few months ago, I started working on my own WebGL-based city simulator, Citybound.

A few weeks ago, I created a DevBlog for it, where I announced and described the project.
I then submitted the post to the /r/Simcity subreddit - the reaction was mindblowing.

Since then, I started writing weekly posts on the development process, here are the first ones:

The Road to Alpha, Week 1 - A Slow Start
The Road to Alpha, Week 2 - Camera, Action!
The Road to Alpha, Week 3 - A Fresh Canvas
The Road to Alpha, Week 4 - REBRANDING (April Fools)
The Road to Alpha, Week 5 - Every Town Starts Small (First update with video!)
The Road to Alpha, Week 6 - Intermezzo & Community Activity
The Road to Alpha, Week 7 - First Signs of Gameplay Detected
The Road to Alpha, Week 8 - Intermezzo & Big Announcement

Citybound also has an official homepage and FAQ at:

cityboundsim.com

A few articles about the project have already been written, most notably:

"Citybound: One man's attempt to build a better SimCity" (Gamasutra)
"Interview With Citybound Developer Anselm Eickhoff" (Thirteen-1)

Most of the discussion so far happens in the /r/Citybound subreddit.
But with this thread I also wanted to open the discussion to you here, my fellow indie game devs.

I'm excited for your questions and comments!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:27:47 PM by anselm_eickhoff » Logged
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:17:17 AM »

Hey, nice to see a Citybound Devlog on TIG! Been following your game on Reddit and your blog. Looks so promising, can't wait to see more

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »

Looking forward to details on how you solve some of these complex systems!

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »

Just saw this on Kotaku the other day. Looks awesome! Looking forward to future progress and getting to try it out myself.

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »

Lookin' good so far!  Lotta people hoping you'll get it right where Maxis failed this last time.  Smiley
anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »

Thanks everyone!

I just posted this weeks update (The Road to Alpha, Week 3 - A Fresh Canvas) on the blog.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:38:02 PM by anselm_eickhoff » Logged
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »

Oh my god, you've just given me a game boner.  I'm a huge Sim City fan and like you I was terribly disappointed by the most recent Sim City.  I'm very keen to see where this goes.

Have you played game like Cities in Motion btw?  I fell in love with the first one but the second one left me rather cold.

anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:45:51 PM »

Awesome.

I've played a few hours of CiM2, but the public transit line micromanagement is not something I personally enjoy. What I like about it is that the city seems to react and grow indirectly as a result of how efficient you build your networks. A game that I absolutely love where this indirect effect is much more pronounced is the original A-Train.
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:35:55 AM »

I'm not colorblind, but I find it hard to see these zones...industrial is fine, but the others all somewhat blend into each other or the background. They're distinduishable, but it's tiring.

Nice progress though! I'm curious to see where this goes Smiley

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »

NEW WEEKLY UPDATE:

CITYBOUND IS NOW CALLED URBAN PLANNING SIMULATOR 2014

mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »

Droop

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »

Needs more goats, obviously

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »

Citybound now has an official homepage:

cityboundsim.com

The FAQ are also included.
TROPtastic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »

Anselm Eickhoff just posted a commentated video (~ 7 mins) showing off the zone-based procedural generation of buildings:

http://blog.cityboundsim.com/the-road-to-alpha-week-5-every-town-starts-small/

The full devblog will be updated tomorrow.

P.S. I apologize if it is frowned upon to post links on behalf of devs, but I thought it would be better than having people potentially not find out about the new update.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:26 AM »

Holy crap, the final parts of that video... it already looks better than the new Sim City from EA!

The big question now, though, is will there be elevation changes? (Sim City 2013 handles those like shit, btw.)

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 04:51:52 AM »

Awesome.

I've played a few hours of CiM2, but the public transit line micromanagement is not something I personally enjoy. What I like about it is that the city seems to react and grow indirectly as a result of how efficient you build your networks. A game that I absolutely love where this indirect effect is much more pronounced is the original A-Train.

Yes that's what excited me about CiM 2, the dynamic cities.  I think they went too far with teh micromanaging of the train lines though.  CiM was a lot more casual and more fun in a sense. I'm very keen to try A-Train 8!

anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

Thanks for posting the video for me!
After my video editing session until 5AM, I was too tired to post it on all sites immediately.  Crazy

There is now also the full blog post (same link)

eboet: Citybound will have terrain and elevation and hopefully handle it better!
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »

Hooray for mixed use zones!  That's one of the things that keeps bugging me about Sim City.  Strict zoning is starting to fall out of favor in urban planning circles but it still hasn't been reflected in the latest iterations of the franchise.

Since you discussed liking dynamic cities, I'm hoping that the cities here also change according to decisions that you make (ie how you plot out the roads etc.)  Loved the video by the way, and I could keep staring at those cities forever.

Curious, where else do you post aside from here and tigsource?

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »

Wow, I'm blown away by the quality here! Keep up the good work!

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »

Saw this mentioned on RPS's recently introdued DevBlog column. (Congrats!)

What are your thoughts on agriculture in SimCity? Have you played SC4 with the SPAM mod? I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it but it seems like a neat way to allow rural communities compared to the base game's focus on purely developing a large metropolis.

Any plans for simulating pedestrian traffic separate from vehicular traffic?

I've always been frustrated that in the SimCity series old buildings get replaced with new buildings. I get why it was necessary in a game like SC2k but it still always bothered me. Sometimes that's not how it works. Abandoned factories get turned into living space or studio space. Older buildings get reused before they get demolished and... Ok, now I'm just ranting. I'll stop now. You keep doing what you're doing. I'm only getting so worded up because I'm so excited to see where you and your game are going.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic