Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:09:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignVideo level design tutorial/case study.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Video level design tutorial/case study.  (Read 745 times)
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:26 AM »

Hey everyone, I was thinking about making a video detailing the design changes to the first 5 levels of my game (Trash TV - puzzle platformer) over the years. I have three distinct versions of the game all one year apart but I'm struggling to think how to structure the video. Each play through is about 6 minutes, putting them back to back with a voice over of whats different would end up in a 20 minute minute video, also that'd rely on viewers remembering the previous versions to really get some value out of it. The alternative is to pause at each problem and show the newer solution, but in one instance the solution is to add a whole level before a puzzle and in player testing there were problems with those extra levels, it ends up branching off in solutions to solutions.

Do you think people would watch a 20 minute video? I could cut down the total length if I showed each puzzle and alternation without the context of where it sat in the games world and didn't present them chronologically.

Do you think people would be interested in a case study? There's lots of great talks from people more experienced and renowned than I am, but I'm hoping a case study can make up for it depth.
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »

This is great for your resume as a designer actually, definitely do it - but not as a 20min video. Rather, break the level apart into sections and talk about why each section became what at each time. I'd watch four five minute videos about the different parts of a level and why they did/didn't work, since if I already understood x or y, I could skip that and move on.

Good luck!
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:30 AM »

Maybe try breaking it down into different parts. Explore each section across all versions of the game in 5-minute long videos. Viewers don't have to watch the entire stages being played out with voiceover. They only need to see the relevant parts. You could even split the screen and show a comparison, possibly as screenshots if it's easier and doesn't require the viewer to see it in action.

My first step would be to make a list of the changes and bullet point what points you want to discuss. Then you can write your script around that list of requirements.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic