Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:35:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Easier way to do pixel art?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Easier way to do pixel art?  (Read 7876 times)
PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »

As an illustrator by trade, I'm just using Photoshop at the moment. However, I find if pretty annoying when working with multiple sprites (maybe I have a character on one later with a weapon on another). Is there any software designed with pixel animation for games in mind? I'm using Game Maker Studio at the moment.

It can also be a pain because I like to keep each piece of animation on a layer (easier to line things up) and then I have to save each later individually. I know there's a way to export each layer as its own image, but I've found it to be kind of clumsy (and doesn't work if I have, say, a drop shadow on their own layers).

Any advice? I'm so overreliant on Photoshop for everything and would love if there's an easier way to do things.
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »

I've heard very good things about graphicsgale - a lot of people here use it. I believe there's also a thread or two around here devoted to tools in general including art software.
sharbelfs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »

i've heard about graphicsgale too, but i am used to the photoshop.

but if you are interest, in the pixel prospector they have a big list of softwares too, you can try.

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-graphics-programs-windows-edition/

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »

Once you go Graphicsgale you never go backicsgale.

Cool

I've used it for a number of different projects varying in scale.  Doing pixel art with Photoshop (or Gimp or w/e) is like trying to do heart surgery with a buster sword.  Graphicsgale has what you need for animation, exporting to spritemaps or individual files, creating and saving color palettes, handling transparency and multiple layers for multiple frames (helpful for larger sprites)  I mean if pixel art is what you want to do a lot of, it's just the hands-down best tool for it.

To be fair you can use really any kind of graphics program to make pixel art and it's been done well from mspaint.exe to Photoshop, but those programs are just not as well-tailored to the medium.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:36:56 PM by J. R. Hill » Logged

hi
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »

Aseprites! Hooray!

Even my pixels are fat.
FTLRalph
Level 1

What?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:55:19 AM »

I'm almost certain that if I got used to it, GraphicsGale would be the way to go, but I just prefer Photoshop too much.

The simple-to-use layers and blending effects, overlayed grid, simple animation frames, etc...  Everything you need is there.
Blambo
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:02:15 AM »

Aseprites! Hooray!

yeah I vouch for aseprite
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »

I have heard Graphics Gale is better as well, but I also use Photoshop and GMS. But based on your issues in your first post, I am not sure that you are using Photoshop to the best of its ability for Game Maker Studio.

If you have each frame as a layer, then you can use the animation window (View, Animation) and put each layer as a frame and then save it as a gif. You can then load this gif into game maker studio and it will have the full animation.

It's a pretty fast workflow for me. Then if I have issues with a single frame, I just copy the whole frame out of photoshop and paste it over the one I am editing in Game maker Studio. (no need to save a new file)

I could see other reasons for wanting to switch away from photoshop to graphics gale though.

-Dan
RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 03:13:25 AM »

Graphics Gale is good.  Pro Motion is better. 

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »

I think aseprite is great.
Haven't used anything else though.
I also use pickle tile editor for tiles.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »

pyxel edit does it all
tilemaps and tile-based images, animation, 1-pixel wide lines from a pencil (no cleanup required :D)

So long and thanks for all the pi
JWK5
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »

Tile Studio is my favorite program to use for sprites and tiling. It lets you test out the tiles and lay them out on a test map and is easy to work with when it comes to testing sprite animations.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that Tile Studio is free.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:27:55 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 03:06:24 AM »

Photoshop for the initial art, gale for the animation for me. Would really like to give promotion a go, heard and seen some sweet things.

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 04:18:09 AM »

Pro Motion is good, although it takes a little while to get used to. It has some nice palette management features, for instance. Ptoing has made some nifty steganographic pixel art using it. One of my favorite features is making animations from undo steps.

More recent features, such as using layers in the tile editor, can be a bit buggy, and it does not run well in Wine. Pyxel sounds promising in that respect, so I might give that a try sometime.

RiskySafe
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 07:36:20 AM »

I'm very fond of "Pyxel Edit", since it's making it easy to have several sprites in one file and you can watch your animations as you work on them. I've tried several different programs but often the UI got in the way, but with pyxel it's pretty straight forward and easy on the eye.

Each animation is a seperate file within your main file and you can export them as frames, spritesheets or a gif file.

It's currently in beta and cheap:

http://pyxeledit.com

example:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:42:00 AM by RiskySafe » Logged
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:24 AM »

Aseprites! Hooray!

I second Aseprites. Very simple to use yet has all the tools and features for pixel art.

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic