Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:57:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGearend - 2D Metroidvania *Old Thread*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Gearend - 2D Metroidvania *Old Thread*  (Read 26058 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »

NOTE!

Development has been restarted and will be continued here. Thanks for reading!

NOTE!

-----

Original Post Below:

Hey, there. So here's a game I've decided to work on after Valchion. It's a 2D Metroidvania about a little robot that explores the ruins of a long forgotten facility in search of the other members of his small robot family. That's an idea for the story anyway. It's being made in the Blender Game Engine, as usual.

A couple of newer pics here:

You run around fighting enemies and finding new parts to outfit on your body. I'm aiming for this to be relatively short and sweet.

(And I spell Gearend differently in the first vid, haha.)

Devlog Video Playlist

Oh, and follow me on Twitter at @SolarLune.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:27:35 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

Did you happen to base it off of Misshoni? Best of luck man! Subscribing. Great Art.

EDIT: Feedback, even though it's pretty early. I feel that the cross-hairs should expand a little as you shoot. You talked about the perspective of your game(left-most wall first room) and as a result the player goes into the floor a bit while he travels up the stairs. If that's the case then you should give the same "depth of perspective" for the ground and the stairs and the ceiling and the corridor(first room that you entered in the video). I may be wrong. Maybe I have a warped sense of perspective. It doesn't make sense to me that one side of the room can appear 2.5D-ish and the rest doesn't.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:35:53 PM by Code_Assassin » Logged
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:53 PM »

Beautiful. I love square-shaped characters.

(This is relevant to my love for squares.)

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »

I love your ambition, let's gooo
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »

I'm curious as to how you're going to handle finding new parts from enemies.
Do you mean like taking them from common enemies?
Taking them from bosses?
Maybe a combination of both?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:42:19 AM »

Subscribing because Solar is awesome.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »

Thanks, you guys!

EDIT: @Code - Nah, I didn't initially base it off of Misshoni, though it does look like it now. Expanding the crosshairs sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure what you mean as for the perspective; the first room's not finished, but generally you'll be able to see the "far wall" of any room you're in.

@Fervir - That's a super good idea, but I think I'll just have basic chests with the robot part in them that you pick up. Then again, maybe you'll find them in scrapyards. I like the idea of taking them from bosses...

Maybe they'll still be attached to bosses, and you literally have to fight bosses that are on their last legs and almost dead already to scavenge them for parts (both scrapyard as well as boss fights). That's really morbid, though. Sad

I'll have to think about it...

Did some art for backgrounds, though I ended up just going with a generic starfield. Sad

Did some art for tiles, which came out alright (I think I want to try a larger tree). I think I'll change the pillar to be more rooted in orange or brown to differentiate it from the other objects, but everything's looking alright so far. Although, it's also looking a bit like Misshoni, which isn't bad, but isn't great either.

Implemented aiming with right-analog stick, and also added a function that checks to see if a specified input type is active (the joystick or mouse buttons). Moving the right analog stick hides the crosshairs, and clicking shoot shows the crosshairs. When the "joystick mode" is on, the right analog stick's axes dictate the aiming direction, while otherwise it's the position of the cursor in comparison to the player's position.

So, the joystick's pretty much caught up with the mouse-and-keyboard controls, which is nice. It'd be nice if moving the mouse shows the crosshairs; maybe I'll set up dummy inputs for that.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:06:03 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »

I'm getting pretty excited for this game.
Add enemies and weapons!

How do you see the action going down in the game?
Hope you can add lots of different enemies with interesting behaviors!

How big do you plan on making this game?

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »

oh cool, another solarlune project. Your projects are always cool and I'm really impressed with what you do with Blender.
Hey, you should finish something. I will literally pay you for one of your finished projects.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »

This is beautiful. I like the character! and I love Metroidvanias (a lot). Looking forward to seeing more of this awesomeness.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »

Looks great! Probably just me but I kinda like the idea of having some starfield backgrounds here and there, its simpler, provides a nice quieter contrast to your already detailed foregrounds, especially with all that particles/shooting action going on. I've watched some of your tutorials videos, glad to see another cool BGE project up your sleeve, you always do amazing things with it!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »

Thanks again, everyone.

@Fervir - I will add enemies and weapons soon! I see the action going down as kind of a "high-speed action rogue-like-like" thing going on, where you're using your different weapons and skills effecitvely, while managing an energy bar. Shooting weapons and using skills that your parts afford you pulls from this energy bar, so you'll have to use it wisely to effectively maneuver around enemies as well as use your weapons effectively. You'll be able to use both arms at the same time by pressing the mouse buttons or pressing the shoulder buttons on the gamepad, so it will really be about moving and using weapons effectively.

@Pemanent - I plan to finish this! Get your wallet ready, cuz this is gonna put a hurtin' on it! (Not really.)

@onebitpunch - Thanks; a simpler background might be a good idea. Glad to see people watching my videos!

@Keops - Thanks! I hope to do the genre some justice!

I've been working on art some. I like the way things are turning out, but someone mentioned on BlenderArtists that background elements need to be darker or something, while foreground elements are brighter, which is probably correct. The tree and flower stem are really bright (which is good), but that ain't helping a game where nothing has outlines.

Currently I'm trying to stick to my palette, so I don't want to just tweak the colors indiscriminately. Maybe I need to add some desaturated colors to the mix. I've gotta strike a balance.

Anyway, I also got breakable blocks running and some dialogue up.

You can find parts in these crates for now. I need to actually make it give the part to you, but the basic implementation of dialogue's done.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:39:33 AM by SolarLune » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 12:56:22 AM »

As a final act for today I got the transition up and running for when you go from doorway to doorway. Works alright. I wanted to do a more complex Pokemon-esque "squares fill the screen gradually" thing, but the GUI's being drawn through kind of a slow bottleneck that can't be fixed, so a straight gradient's fine.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:53 AM »

The aesthetics look cool, I also really dig the lighting system. Is it part of bge or home-brewed?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 07:46:02 AM »

Hey, thanks. The lighting system's BGE-internal.

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »

Gearend look great.

Your devlog video was a cool.
I'm a big fan of Metroidvania so i can't wait to see more Smiley

Shaz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »

The visuals have a nice feel to them Smiley Not the same style, but reminds me of Cave Story.

Liking the basic story concept too.

I'm wondering if you could have a different central mechanic to combat though? Just because shooting things is so... conventional.

Or maybe if there is combat, killing things has repercussions? Perhaps the 'enemies' have been hacked? So you could shoot them. Or find a solution to restore their personality programming. And now they can help you or give you extra abilities. Which they couldn't do if you decided to kill them.

Maybe some of the missing family member robots are dissembled. And you need those abilities in order to restore them.

I quite like players being able to make permanent choices for which they can't predict the repercussions. So if they decide to go on a killing spree, that's it, now they can't save a particular character later on. Be cool if this is made obvious too. So the player can feel some regret for having gone around killing stuff.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 12:36:42 AM »

Thanks, you two.

@Shaz - I like that idea, but I've already been burned by making a game that's too complex for my capabilities / patience, so I plan to just have this be a simple straightforward Metroidvania. Maybe there could be smaller decisions like that that wouldn't require a huge underlying subsystem to get to work.

Dual-wielding + melee weapons implemented today. Left click and right click use the two weapons; RB and RT on the gamepad. I expanded the core weapon class to add melee weapon functionality, including a variable that controls if the weapon can be aimed, or if it simply faces straight ahead. The upside of the weapon facing straight ahead is that it's more likely you'll be able to see both parts that you have equipped at any given time. The down-side is less control on the part of the player, which isn't good. But maybe it's a good trade-off. I don't know.

I want to find a good pose for the melee weapons, since they can easily obscure a lot of the character's body. Backwards like an ninja from an anime ain't great, but neither's straight forward. I think I might just make the character larger / wider to allow for him not to be completely dwarfed by his weapons. (I guess I could make the weapons smaller as well, though...)

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 03:43:24 AM »

cool, i thought your signature is just a gif but hey, theres a devlog behind! i like your colorchoice so far and the art style in general has a really sweet look. and gamepad support! yes!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »

Thanks!

I fixed up the grass to draw a bit better and got it waving and reacting to attacks (though not movement). Here's a devlog video showing it (and other stuff).

Bad audio quality, but not bad enough to completely re-shoot and edit it. Facepalm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic