Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:26:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSimple "RPG" combat
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple "RPG" combat  (Read 1281 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »

So I was thinking of doing a small zelda style RPG game I wanted the game to be more focused on the exploration and items and the player really only needing to worry about moving around not attacking, blocking, jumping, all that. I basically wanted to make a game that was a quick 20 minute playthrough, and mostly puzzles and exploring a fantasy world

so this left me with a couple ideas.

Enemies on the map:

So I was thinking of if I did enemies on the map, just walking into an enemy might hurt them, but was thinking maybe doing something like "timed" attacking. Like for example walking into a flaming skull would hurt the player, but walking into for the brief time when its not on fire would kill it.

I could also have the player upgrade their sword and they need to dodge enemies, but upgrading their sword they can kill new enemies so they can maybe kill slimes, then after the new sword kill skeletons

I could also have the player drop items like bombs or potions in enemy paths

Random Encounters

Random encounters happen as the player walks around. I could do something similar to the timed combat as before the player needs to tap at the right time, this would probably be more similar to Fruit ninja, Enemy pops up, player needs to click it, but make sure its at the right time or they will lose a heart.

what do you think? I am just playing around and looking for a small project to work on.

F8_Sean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »

Have you thought about 8-way shooting, as in Berzerk?

Zelda with emphasis on arrows instead of a sword could be fast and fun.

I like programming odd things. If you're looking to collaborate on something C#/XNA/MonoGame/PSM, hit me up!

Blog | Portfolio | Twitter
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »

No I was actually looking for something for an ipad, that could be played one finger. (Dont ask why I am addicted to designing stuff for touchscreen devices, I think its the challenge)

F8_Sean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »

Maybe your character drags a flail behind them.

I like programming odd things. If you're looking to collaborate on something C#/XNA/MonoGame/PSM, hit me up!

Blog | Portfolio | Twitter
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:03:29 AM »

So I think I might go with large player sword and have the player wait for the correct time to walk into a monster, such as when the slimes eyes are open.

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »

You could make it rhythm based - tap to the beat to hit hard. Miss the beat and get hit.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »

I thought about something like that. I think mother 3 had a similar system. I wanted to make a game all about boss fights and that got me thinking about most boss fights are usually dodge dodge dodge then the boss gives you a window to attack so I was thinking that give the player a window and have the player run into the boss. The player can always keep their sword out like they are charging.

FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 10:06:52 AM »

I thought about something like that. I think mother 3 had a similar system. I wanted to make a game all about boss fights and that got me thinking about most boss fights are usually dodge dodge dodge then the boss gives you a window to attack so I was thinking that give the player a window and have the player run into the boss. The player can always keep their sword out like they are charging.

Try older "Ys" games as reference for something like that. They're basically have the mechanics you talked about.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 05:15:46 AM »

That sounds perfect. I will check that out. I am working on getting a prototype up and running for a boss battle. you can check out the devlog over here.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »

I like rhythm stuff. I like it when the boss has "moods." If there is a pattern once you figure it out the boss becomes less interesting. The pattern-deduction phase is the most interesting, unless the combat itself is very deep (it often isn't).

So it slides into anger every so often and moves faster but reacts less swiftly to player behavior. If the player attacks when the boss is "shielded" that makes it agitated. Taking damage makes it afraid. Receiving no attacks makes it bored/cocky etc.

The reason I suggest this is because it slides in nicely with telegraph timing, which is what you are talking about. You have to nail the enemy weakness at the right time. If the pattern is just "2 enemy lunges, exploit weakness, repeat," then.... yeah.

edit: It's also a way to add complexity without adding a second finger.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:59:42 PM by Graham. » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic