Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:51:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignI am reposting this because it's a great talk on game design mechanic/objectives
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I am reposting this because it's a great talk on game design mechanic/objectives  (Read 1068 times)
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »

Smash Bros Decapitated by Keith Burgun. It doesn't actually directly address how important navigation of space is and the significance of it, but instead tries to abstract it even further away to apply to more things (which I admire in any discussion). However... it's also just super relevant for navigation of space.

I'm positive someone must have posted this before, because it's a good article... but I'm posting it again because like many things, it should be returned to. Tongue

Anyone else have great articles on game design that have stood the test of time?
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:29:00 AM »

I didn't read the entire article so I'm not sure if this was mentioned at all, but what PS All-Stars should have done is made it possible to REDUCE the Super Meter build-up. That way the developers could have added some negative consequences to 'falling on spikes, etc' and this would have given purpose to the elaborate move-set stolen from SSB.

Does that make sense?

I've never played PS All-Stars (didn't even know it existed) so there might already be a mechanism where players can lower their opponent's Super Meter.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »

That would make things even worse - matches would turn into drawn out stalemates where nobody ever reaches a full super meter.
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 06:34:46 AM »

If attacking your opponent builds the meter and falling into spikes lowers the meter it gives the player consequences to avoid. If I'm beating my opponent into a spiked wall I'm building up my meter while lowering theirs, and I'll be the first to achieve the killer blow.

That's no different to having a health bar, except 'fighting back' is replaced with 'taking medicine'.

It adds an extra level of complexity. If both fighters avoid the spiked walls they will both build up their meter and it's pretty equal, so if one of the fighters is to get an advantage using the surroundings is how to do it. The losing fighter would then have to use the elaborate move-set to recover, which gives purpose to moving at all.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic