Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:27:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessOpenGL 2 vs OpenGL core (business decision)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OpenGL 2 vs OpenGL core (business decision)  (Read 1671 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:57:43 AM »

I have put this topic here since it is a business consideration, not a technical one.

I am considering to develop a 2D engine using java and opengl. I have the option to go with core opengl (3+) or to go strictly with opengl 2.

Now despite all the trend that suggests to use core opengl I feel going strictly with opengl 2 is more beneficial in this case. There are mainly two reasons for it:

1. It seems there is still a lot of hardware that doesn't support core opengl,
   think about some weaker notebooks. Yet I want to reach as many people as possible, on
   mac, linux and windows (android likely requires changes, I don't know yet).

2. Both opengl versions satisfy the rendering demands.

I would like to know how you feel about it. Are there possibly some important things I have overlooked? For example I am not sure how the situation on mac looks like running opengl 2 applications on newer os updates.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:16:46 AM »

I can't speak for the Mac support, but going from your requirements, I'd say to stick with OpenGL 2. Like you said, a lot of weaker notebooks (mine included!) don't support 3+, and if you feel that these users might be a substantial part of your potential customers, there's no need to cut them out. I'm in the same situation as you, which is why I'm also sticking to OpenGL 2. Still haven't come across a notebook that couldn't run my game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »

Are you going to be using shaders? If so, the Android / iOS versions will require a modern OpenGL re-write. If not, i'd code against the ES 1.1 spec .. which is ( largely ) compatible with OpenGL 2.0 ( but not vice versa ).
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »

OpenGLES / ES2 is meant to be a more compatible subset and it runs on desktops. I always target ES2 personally.

check out this website if you haven't already

http://www.khronos.org/

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »

Still haven't come across a notebook that couldn't run my game.
That's very good to hear.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »

For me, core is for crazy people who read whitepapers on specular occlusive refraction of crystalline surfaces, for the rest of us 2 is more than enough. Lots and lots of notebooks and phones don't support core either. To me it was very satisfying seeing my game work ok on a geforceFx 5200 @640x480 30fps.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:53 AM »

OpenGL 2.0 here. Until not to long ago, Mac wouldn't even do higher versions.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:59:01 PM »

For me, core is for crazy people who read whitepapers on specular occlusive refraction of crystalline surfaces, for the rest of us 2 is more than enough.
I understand how you feel but I actually prefer working in core since I know exactly what I am doing, it is more understanding but less learning. Initially I found OpenGL 2 and lesser harder to learn. It's like hundreds of build-in "switches" and commands and I need to make sure I know how they interact with each other. It's going fine though, I got my 2D renderer up and running.

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 04:59:16 AM »

I understand how you feel but I actually prefer working in core since I know exactly what I am doing, it is more understanding but less learning. It's like hundreds of build-in "switches" and commands and I need to make sure I know how they interact with each other.

Coding against the OpenGL 2.0 specification doesn't mean you have to use any of the fixed-function pipeline though. You can use modern / core style programming in OpenGL 2.0 just fine.

Simply ignore the build-in matrix functions and maintain & upload your own mat4 uniforms, ignore all of the designated attribute features ( such as normal / texCoord etc. ) and only use generic attributes, ignore all of the build-in light & fog functions etc etc.

The only thing you need to pay attention to is that you don't use any functions that aren't available in OpenGL 2.0.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »

I had to learn it for my current job project anyway, it is old build-in functionality and modern opengl mixed altogether.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic