Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:12:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFruit Wars
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Fruit Wars  (Read 9009 times)
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:27:02 AM »

Hello there

This seems to be my first devlog, hope it goes well Shocked!
I've started to work on a project and it's called Fruit Wars.
The game is going to be a team-vs-team, multiplayer, building platformer game where your character is a piece of fruit.

(Click for a bigger version of the image)

When you join the game, you will join the red team or the blue team.
Both teams have something called teampoints.

The point system for a player:

You, as a player, have an amount of points, you start with no points at all.
- When you manage to kill a player of the other team, you'll receive a certain amount of points.
- There are gems in the world that you can collect, if you collect them, you get points.
- Points can be used to create items and research & build vehicles.

I plan on adding multiple game modes later, currently the only gamemode is "time".
You start a match and after 10 minutes, it'll end. The team that has the most points after the match wins, the other team loses.

Your team loses teampoints if someone of your team is killed, and it gains teampoints if you managed to kill a player of the other team. Both teams start with 200 teampoints.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:35:44 PM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »

Just finished the code for the minimap:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:37:12 AM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:32:18 AM »

I've been working on a system so you can build in the world and it's going well.
Some work on the GUI is also done, but I'm not sure how I'll do the buttons "minimap" etc.
I've made it easier to add things like plants etc to the world, maybe lakes later on too?
I also started working on the code for the server so you'll be able to connect and see others jump around and do stuff!

Oh and here's a screenshot where I've been testing the building mechanism and a mockup button for the minimap:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:37:17 AM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »

I got basic multiplayer working using Node.JS and websockets Smiley
You can see each other edit the map and you can see other players walk around.
I also rewrote the rendering and it now divides the map into 16 * 16 tiles (256 * 256 pixels). The divided areas are drawn instead of drawing each tile seperately. This results in a much faster rendering. I also found a way to do tile animation Smiley.

I want to add more plant stuff later on to make the map feel more natural...

Here's a screenshot of me and another player close to a tree and water (the water is animated, but you can't see since it's a png file):
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:37:19 AM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:07:10 PM »

I've been busy lately, but I actually managed to draw something o.O
Here are some vehicles, I plan on doing more of them later...
Vehicles have to be researched, when they have been researched, it will be available for everyone in your team. After a vehicle has been researched, you can buy it as long as you have enough points.

The helicopter:

The plane:

A UFO type thing:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:37:25 AM by ndke » Logged
Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »

Looks pretty cool so far. Will there be any context to the fruits, or will it just be something cosmetic that has no bearing on the actual game design/gameplay?

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:07:35 AM »

Looks pretty cool so far. Will there be any context to the fruits, or will it just be something cosmetic that has no bearing on the actual game design/gameplay?

Thanks for the reply! Means alot to me :D

I actually want every piece of fruit to have it's own unique power, but I need to think about how I will do that.

I also think a shop for fruit and items would be a good idea:
Whenever you receive points, you will get a random chance that you will receive coins. Coins are used in the shop. The shop will contain new items like hats for the fruit.
You will be able to customize your character with the items you have bought in the shop.

And here are some items that you will be able to wear, now I need to make more fruits :D:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:37:31 AM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »

I've been trying to implement procedural tree generation and I think it's going well, but it's still not finished. It needs more work. I also feel that the world is still a bit empty, so I might add more vegetation.
The bases of the teams should also be added, perhaps like this:
- Blue team has a base at the left side of the map
- Red team has a base at the right side of the map

I think that'll do Smiley

I've also tried to better categorise the tiles.
Example: Click on the box (bottom right) and all normal tiles will show up. Click on the slope (bottom right) and all slope tiles will show up. I think this works good Smiley

As for the logo:
Logo attempt #1

Logo attempt #2

I like #2 better, but #1 is maybe also good if I do a few adjustments to it...

lava:
oil:
Frames of the laser animation (it's hard to see the difference, but it's in the red):

Screenshot:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:37:43 AM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 06:57:52 AM »

I had the idea of adding dungeons under the ground. Each dungeon would contain a possible treasure but you have to defeat an enemy to receive that treasure. The amount of dungeons in a single game would be 1-4. I think that's good.
It also adds a challenging element to the game because the treasure would help your team in the winning of the game.
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »

I thought that adding some other world generators would be a good idea. My current list of world generators is:

- Normal: a normal world with trees and normal vegetation
- Snow: less vegetation and the grass has a white overlay, the sky color is slightly brighter
- Underworld: A dark underworld with a dark sky and stone trees, no water, only lava as a liquid
- Moon: Less gravity, a gray sky with some stars, it may happen that a meteor land in this world and makes a hole in the ground filled with lava.
- Floating islands (?): Same as normal, but there are floating islands, make sure you don't fall!

Oh and I should maybe say that next week, I won't be able to work on Fruit Wars.
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »

Tried drawing some fruit, not happy with them all, but I'll get there:
You will be able to combine the hats and items so you can make things like this:

EDIT: fixed image URL
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:34:55 AM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »

I'm starting development on this game again!
I had stopped development on this game because the code became messy and things weren't going as expected, but now I'm starting development again ^^.

So first, let me clarify some things:

When you join the game, you will join the red team or the blue team.
Both teams have something called teampoints.

The point system:

You, as a player, have an amount of points, you start with no points at all.
- When you manage to kill a player of the other team, you'll receive a certain amount of points.
- There are gems in the world that you can collect, if you collect them, you get points.
- If you get killed, you lose points.

Gamemodes:
  • Time: You start a match and after xx minutes, it'll end. The team that has the most points after the match wins, the other team loses.

How points work in this gamemode:
    Your team loses teampoints if someone of your team is killed, and it gains teampoints if you managed to kill a player of the other team. Both teams start with 200 teampoints.

• Capture the flag: Both teams have their own flags. The goal is to capture the flag of the other team.

How points work in this gamemode:
    Your team gets a teampoint if you manage to capture the flag of the other team. There is no other way to get teampoints.

• I'm still thinking about more gamemodes! Smiley

I should not forget to mention that I finally made a (good) logo:

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:56:17 AM »

Researching something

Both teams have a base where you can find a research machine.
If you open the research menu, it will ask you what you want to research.
Researching something will cost time and points.

What you can research:
  • Helicopter: used for transportation.
  • Plane: faster than a helicopter and it shoots.
  • UFO: basically the same as the plane but it shoots faster and it deals more damage.

If you've researched something, you can put it down and you and your teammates will be able to use it.
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »

I made a lot of progress today, I now have (almost) everything that I had in the previous code and I finally have a screenshot to share with you! (Note that I rewrote the entire game from scratch). The code is much cleaner than the previous code and a lot better :D.

I'm using bitmap fonts to draw text on the screen.
At the bottom left of the screenshot, you see a minimap. At the top you see the teampoints and the timer.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »

Both the red team and the blue team have a base where they spawn, in that base, you'll find a research machine.
On the following screenshot, you can see the research machine in the base where I spawned (bottom right).
I also added a chat.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 05:19:10 AM »

Here's a gif for you (NOTE: The colors are a bit messed up because it's a GIF file)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:07:34 PM by ndke » Logged
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »

Worked on connected textures (especially for the glass).
I think it's safe to put the progress to 10% now.

Here's a gif of the effect in action (NOTE: The colors are a bit messed up because it's a GIF file)
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 06:35:54 AM »

Playing around with more world generators, I've made a "underworld" world generator:
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »

I've got more world generators working:

Snow

Floating areas/islands

Moon/Space

That gives us a total of 5 different world generators!
Feedback would be appreciated. Smiley
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »

Looks really nice ! I particularly like the colors of the moon  Smiley
Is this gonna be like King Arthurs Gold ( with swords, pickaxes ) or more advanced weaponry such as machineguns/rocket launchers?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic