Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:14:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 139356 times)
kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2014, 02:26:04 AM »

I got to say I agree about the grass. It looks quite blurry and I too prefer the simple look. Makes it look a bit like legos. Some kind of soft ambient occlusion shading would be cool maybe.

I like the mechanic, though I also thought he had a jetpack at first glance! Simplify it a bit and it's perfect!
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2014, 03:32:57 AM »

here is a quick thing i did for giggles
http://imgur.com/wHel5P3

Cool :D

No worries about the grass everyone, it really was just an experiment Smiley

Some kind of soft ambient occlusion shading would be cool maybe.

Yeah! Unity 5 looks like it will be a really big improvement for what we can do with lighting, so we'll mostly just wait with lighting changes until that is released (sometime "this summer", apparently). AO should fit well!

For colors we think it should be really sunny and colorful, like a Mario game maybe. Might have overdone it in the recent screenshots Smiley But we'll probably also leave it like that for now and wait until Unity 5.

I've been working on path building recently:

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2014, 04:18:19 AM »

Those "poof" clouds are sexy
Whyman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »

This is probably the game im most excited for in development right now. Do you plan a early acesss release?
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2014, 09:54:08 AM »

You added ragdoll physics to an isometric management sim. This makes you a good game designer.

Posting to follow, know some people who'd flip over this game as it looks like you're working in some new features to compliment how everyone actually played those classic games.

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »

This is probably the game im most excited for in development right now. Do you plan a early acesss release?

We're considering some sort of early access, but that's a few months off (most importantly, there is no player-friendly UI yet).

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2014, 06:30:14 AM »

Garret made some accessories for guests:

He also modeled a new flat ride during a livestream earlier today, which I'm about to put into the game now.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »

Looks awesome. Just make it your own and not a 100 % Rollercoaster Tycoon clone. Smiley

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:08 AM »

Thanks Smiley That's the plan (and the challenge!) Wink
We're currently doing polish and making sure everything runs stable, then after that probably get to some of our new ideas soon.

We'll surely not completely reinvent the genre and the connections to RCT/Theme Park will remain visible, but it'll hopefully be some sort of continuation where these games stopped 10 years ago (as far as that's possible with a 2 man team). I hope that is ok Smiley

Random stack of crates?

Lejving
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »

Check out the grass in Tropico 5

Or just the art in general, it's somewhat similar to Theme Parkitect Smiley Maybe you could get some hints from it!
GlaDOSik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: June 22, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »

I quietly hope, that the stack of crates means source managment system like in Stronghold games. Or something like that.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: June 22, 2014, 10:46:34 PM »

I quietly hope, that the stack of crates means source managment system like in Stronghold games. Or something like that.

I've honestly never thought about the logistics of stocking a theme park.

Where should I keep all the paper cups and kegs of terrible beer for all the vendors? Would it be more profitable to rent vendor space to major chains or to have park owned vendors and have to pay attention to stocks? Can I really afford to keep buying kielbasa for the hot dog stand or can I just start selling hot dogs for the same price? If the meat freezer stops working just how long can I keep selling chicken wings before the health inspector shuts me down? How long does it take for roller coaster parts to arrive?

...Where are my roller coaster parts?
garret559
Level 0

3D Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »

Hey, I put up a timelapse of a stream I did a few days ago. Modeled a new ride, and played around in the game for a couple minutes at the end. It's super rough and really, really buggy. Also the UI is debug and not anything like what the actual UI will be like at all, so yeahhhhh:

Also a link to the new ride working:
https://vine.co/v/MtZbxOLuqKE

Borrego6165
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »

Some Clarity Please

1.Will the game be restricted to the angle that I've seen in the screenshots, which is trimetric, or will the camera be able to move around freely?

2.Not sure if you ever played Theme Hospital, but here goes: TH had an interesting staff management system. Staff needed to rest in staff rooms, they could be trained, and they would sometimes demand wage increases if the hospital wasn't warm enough or they were forced to work for too long. This contrasts RCT 3's management, which was where you trained them to level 3 or increase their wage to stop them getting unhappy... that was it. Was wondering, how do you plan to implement staff (when you get to them) into this game, and what tactics could one use to keep them productive?

3.Do you plan to have different themes?
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »

1. If with move around freely you mean rotation around the up axis then yes, we plan to allow free rotation in addition to snapping to the predefined angles we currently have. Tilting with this orthographic camera will not be possible, since you'd potentially see the entire park on your screen then which your PC couldn't handle.
We'll probably have a perspective camera for park overview/on ride view, might also have this as an option ingame with completely free rotation (~RCT 3 camera).

2. That's pretty much what we plan (still got to see if this is any fun though! If it turns out to be no fun it won't make it into the game). Definitely no RCT 3 management, we think just hitting a button to insta-train is boring. We're currently thinking shop keepers and ride operators in addition to what RCT 2 had. What happens if they get unhappy is still open - ideas are they work slower, annoy your customers (shop keepers), make rides more unsafe (ride operators). I guess mostly make sure they don't overwork and can relax in staff rooms to keep them productive.

3. Depends. We don't think it's a priority and the game would work without, but if we have enough time for it that's probably one of the first "nice to have" features to add.

Ziboo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »

Awesome work ! Really cool.

Anyway to make a post about the way you handle the rollercoster tracks ?
Do you deform the mesh at runtime ?
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »

Yeah, I'll have to write how they work once I got some time Smiley
The tubes are generated at runtime (just extrude some circles), then premade beam models are added.

Borrego6165
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 23, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »

Quote from: Sebioff
1. If with move around freely you mean rotation around the up axis then yes, we plan to allow free rotation in addition to snapping to the predefined angles we currently have. Tilting with this orthographic camera will not be possible, since you'd potentially see the entire park on your screen then which your PC couldn't handle.
We'll probably have a perspective camera for park overview/on ride view, might also have this as an option ingame with completely free rotation (~RCT 3 camera).
Cool.
2. That's pretty much what we plan (still got to see if this is any fun though! If it turns out to be no fun it won't make it into the game). Definitely no RCT 3 management, we think just hitting a button to insta-train is boring. We're currently thinking shop keepers and ride operators in addition to what RCT 2 had. What happens if they get unhappy is still open - ideas are they work slower, annoy your customers (shop keepers), make rides more unsafe (ride operators). I guess mostly make sure they don't overwork and can relax in staff rooms to keep them productive.
To make sure it's fun, look at games like Theme Park World, Theme Hospital, and Dungeon Keeper. These 3 games, all by Bullfrog, were classic management games. They really nailed the staff management aspects, as opposed to say RCT 3 which was fun for its freedom and letting you have more control over the look of your park.
3. Depends. We don't think it's a priority and the game would work without, but if we have enough time for it that's probably one of the first "nice to have" features to add.
In my opinion it's quite a priority for a theme park builder, but I suppose there's going to be a tonne of other work for you to do!
bmau.ro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: June 23, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »

Just saw this on RPS and wanted to say, when you guys are getting near release and need to flesh out your art asset list, hit me up (my credentials).  As a long time RCT fan I know how important it is to have a big variety of props, alternate models, reskins etc in a game like this.  I'd gladly spend a few Sunday afternoons knocking some stuff like that out, free of charge, cause this looks great and I want to see it succeed. Smiley
imaginedd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 28, 2014, 03:59:25 AM »

I really enjoyed that timelapse. I thought I was just going to watch the first few minutes, but it kept me hooked Tongue

I have to say I really liked in the game how steps and building things on platforms is a thing, as well as the ability to repoint a queue path, even after it's hooked onto the main path - something that bugged the hell out of me in RCT.

On that note, I recently found RCT whilst moving and turns out it still works perfectly on my laptop straight away despite being all of the old. Having spent a little while replaying it I thought of a few things that might be nice to add:

- More detailed feedback from guests as to what they do / don't like about a ride. In RCT it says "that ride was really good value" if the price is set too low, or "that ride was great" if it was just fun. It would be nice to have some kind of ranking, or scale, so when I run out of room I know to demolish my Helter Skelter and not my Dodgems because people enjoy it more.

- In most theme parks the ticket cost gives you free access to the rides, and you can often have a VIP line for those with special tickets. Having that level of ticket price control would be a great way to try and balance profit with guest enjoyability.

- Toilets and food stalls could come with an influence radius, like emergency services in Sim City, so you know how often you should put toilets, or food stalls.

- Equally, Designated areas for certain things would be quite nice "the food court" or "the kids rides" would allow guests to just simply bypass sections they don't care about, rather than wander around complaining that they are bored. Signs to indicate these areas would also increase guest appreciation for design and layout and overall park satisfaction.

- Zones for staff would be nice too, I don't especially care what my handymen do, so long as they stick within their area. Potentially joined together with the zoning, so there can be a kids ride technician, as opposed to an entire park technician who is constantly in the wrong place.

On the subject of staff rooms, I think that it could work but only if you can limit it, like a real job. Have a 15 minute break every 2 hours, but stagger it so the entire theme park doesn't break at the same time. Most annoying thing about Theme Hospital was when all the doctors just checked out at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:15:59 AM by imaginedd » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic