Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:43:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 139306 times)
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »

looking great man, share the coding methodology you used to create this :D ?
Sure, once I'm a bit later into development.

Today I added shops that sell tasty cubular snacks (actually, they give them away for free right now).

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »

I added placeholder food models and eating animations:

By the way, do you even want to have all these tiny updates whenever there's some visible progress, or should I rather wait a bit and post bigger updates?

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »

I'd definitely second keeping the track pieces in line with a grid, Theme Park World let you go crazy with fancy designs and it was very easy to go overbudget and screw up your 'coaster

So long and thanks for all the pi
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »

Thanks Prodigga, that worked! As it turns out though it was actually a bug in Blender that has been fixed with the newest version. The export is working fine now without having to apply the edge split modifier.

Oh!  Well that probably explains a similar problem I had a while back.  I had given up on it thinking I was screwing up somehow.  Smiley
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:16 AM »

I added sloped paths and faces that show the mood of the guest (they look a bit creepy, but will do for now):

The mood isn't influenced by many factors yet.

I also worked a bit on terrain:

It doesn't interact with constructions yet, though.
My initial plan was to do voxel-based terrain. It might have offered some neat possibilities, but quickly turned out to be a nightmare of performance issues and edge cases as I wanted to have something that looks a bit nicer than Minecraft-like cube worlds. Thus I ended up with the same hightmap-based system used by RCT1/2.
Smooth looking terrain would also have been an option, but since I think it doesn't add anything to the gameplay it is, at least for now, more trouble than it's worth.

I think it would be lame to simply turn this into a RCT2 remake, just with 3D graphics, but at the same time I feel like you can't remove many of the features that game had without ending up with a worse game. So I've been thinking a lot about where exactly to take this and have a couple of ideas. As the goal of this project, I'm currently seeing RCT2 as the minimum set of features to have on which to expand on. I'd especially like to expand on the business simulation aspect. It might be interesting to include more of what's going on behind the scenes of a theme park; the biggest idea would be to include more types of staff, for example ride operators, ticket/shop sales people or staff who make sure that the shops don't run out of goods. They'd all have individual needs, comparable to the guests. For example tired ride operators would be a risk to the safety of the ride; unhappy sales people might annoy your guests.

Let me know what you think, as I'm still a bit unsure whether that's the right direction or if I should try to do something entirely different Smiley

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 03:07:38 AM »

Looks like something I'd really enjoy playing Smiley
JeremiahPena
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »

But they can be freely modified by a bunch of parameters, for example the curves don't have to always be 90°, you can set them to any angle you want. Other tweakable parameters are the angle of the banking and the length of the piece. Codewise yes, it would be possible to freely draw the track however you want, but I think that makes it harder for the average player to design a nice and useable coaster.

This makes me very excited, as a roller coaster fanatic, grid systems are my least favorite part of theme park games. I played No Limits for a long while, which has a free node-based track system, and while playing the RCT games is really fun, they miss out on designing freedom.
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »

The last 2 days I worked pretty much full time on saving and loading the game - it was a bit tricky, as there will potentially be many thousand objects of different types with unique states that need to be stored. Plus, there are many references between objects that need to be restored on load - for example, imagine a guest sitting on a bench holding a hotdog that he has 2/3 consumed. The game needs to save and restore which guest sits on which bench with which hot dog in hand...ideally, without having to write specialized code for this particular situation. It was a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but I'm very satisfied so far with my final solution Smiley

Since I don't have any visual progress to share, here's a stress test with 500 peeps instead (still running fine at 30fps...and the limiting factor is not the CPU, but my crappy integrated laptop graphics card):

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 11:24:33 AM »

Is being able to zoom in on your peeps (hence requiring 3d models) integral to the gameplay or could you keep the zoom level as is and use sprites instead? At the current level I think they would work just fine. Then again, if you can freely play around with the camera angle the sprites aren't going to work..

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »

Mhm, zooming in is not really integral...when the peeps are on a coaster though it's surely better to have a 3d model, so as long as I don't run into performance problems I'd like to avoid sprites as much as possible. I'll definitely need some for zooming out far to see your whole park. They'll be really small then, so hopefully just a handful of orientations without animations will be good enough.

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 05:32:29 AM »

Today I gave derailings a first try:

The physics sometimes kinda make the train explode when it leaves the track, raining coaster cars everywhere...but that's ok for now Smiley

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »

Needs more explosions, and then several popups telling you how many people died on the crash.

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 08:49:18 AM »

This

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »

I like the way you're thinking and fully agree Wink I'll get there, one step at a time.

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 02:22:58 AM »

Needs more explosions, and then several popups telling you how many people died on the crash.
Maybe include their (randomly generated) names and ask if you'd like to send a bunch of flowers to the next of kin? Wink

Then add a court simulator where you're being sued by said next of kin.

Wink
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 03:09:31 AM »

this looks so good. definitely overdo the explosions, would make it way more funny
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:18:13 AM »

Maybe include their (randomly generated) names and ask if you'd like to send a bunch of flowers to the next of kin? Wink

Oh god that sounds terrible :D

I'm currently working on putting all the stuff I made so far together. There are some basic tools for building - it's slowly starting to feel like a game!

...and then there was some bug where trains occasionally derailed when entering the station:

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 04:03:56 AM »

This might be one of the greatest bugs mankind has seen.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »

Big Laff at that one guy who approaches the station, stops and sees the carnage, and just gets in line anyway.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »

Add dancing pandas please.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic