Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:23:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 140051 times)
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »

So here's what I did the last few days:
  • finished UIs for now; they're shitty, but it's fully possible to interact with the game instead of having to do everything from code
  • food produces trash/trash can be thrown on paths or into bins
  • staff that cleans paths/empties bins
  • a bit of polishing (benches and trash bins on edges of paths, guests walk to benches instead of teleporting to them, guests look at interesting stuff while sitting on benches, guest physics when derailing (see my avatar))

Also, since I'd like to stay focused on coding and am not the greatest artist anyway, I'm looking for a 3D artist to collaborate with - details here if anyone's interested.

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »

Kiss

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »

looking forward to an alpha
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »

this is rad bruh

optischedel
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »

I love this project and you seem to be making fantastic progress. If I weren't involved in another project I would help you out. Instead, I've sent off a tweet, maybe it helps. Good luck!
StephanieRct
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »

I would throw money at you to play your game even if it was all programmer art only. D:
Do you have a twitter account?
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 03:24:20 AM »

I've sent off a tweet, maybe it helps.
Thanks, that's cool!

I would throw money at you to play your game even if it was all programmer art only. D:
Do you have a twitter account?
Nope, no twitter account. It's too early, but I'll let you know once there is an alpha or something Smiley

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 04:05:32 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Cool Hand Money Right

paulisere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »

looking forward to an alpha

+1 on this. Defo wanna play an early version of this.

SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »

I think the programmer art is its charm.
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2014, 05:39:07 AM »

I think the programmer art is its charm.

Haha, thank you! Speaking of art, I found an artist! I'm sure we can improve the charm Smiley

I implemented pathfinding today (simple A*). This will mostly be used by staff, but also by guests on special occasions.

Also, shops now have a stock. Some shops will need multiple resources to be able to sell their goods, for example the hot dog stall might need buns, sausages and ketchup. These resources will be delivered to your park and have to be transported to the shops (this will be done automatically, you just have to make sure there's enough staff for transportation or your shops might run out of stock).
I'm not entirely sure yet how well this fits into the game, but I think it offers some neat possibilities:
  • it will be tweakable how many resources to put into a product (e.g. how much ketchup to put on a hot dog), which will have different effects: on the one hand you can save costs by needing less resources and have to transport less, on the other hand customers might not be as satisfied. Also, it allows to easily implement certain effects, for example having guests become more or less thirsty depending on the saltiness of the fries they eat or making drinks more desirable in a hot climate by adding more icecubes
  • production costs for sold goods aren't just an abstract number
  • it makes you think more about the layout of your park
  • fun to watch staff hauling stuff around
  • gives you something to optimize once you're done building all the other stuff (I think RCT could get a bit boring after you ran out of space/attractions to build)

On the other hand, it'll make shops that are far away from the entrance less worthwhile, which I might have to find a solution for.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »

A hot dog, minus the hot dog with extra bun

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »

This is looking really cool, I'm excited for a playable version!

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »

A hot dog, minus the hot dog with extra bun

Tongue I meant to say: some things will be tweakable.

@Evan McClane: thank you! Smiley

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »

Thought I'd already posted on this. Anyways, posting to keep track. This looks great!

Also, I kind of like the look it has now, as well. Gives it an interesting feel.

Looking forward to seeing more. A new age RCT would be awesome.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »

Oooh, I'm excited for this, especially if it turns out to be really in-depth and lets the player tweak almost everything. I love being in control so much. Shocked

Another way to extend gameplay after you run out of land is to allow the player to purchase property elsewhere and develop another park with their money. Then they could have a chain of parks, a la Six Flags and Disney, and manage them all at the same time, switching between them. I think that would be really neat. Smiley

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »

Another way to extend gameplay after you run out of land is to allow the player to purchase property elsewhere and develop another park with their money. Then they could have a chain of parks, a la Six Flags and Disney, and manage them all at the same time, switching between them. I think that would be really neat. Smiley

Ooh I like that, will consider!

The last couple of days was mostly non-visible work, but here's something:

Balloon physics? Check.

AODBAMF
Level 0

sup

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 01:23:36 AM »

Amazing how much progress you are doing in such short time! This looks very promising so far.

The coaster physics are incredible, and I think having a non-grid based track system can really benefit from that, although it can have its charm and restricting the player can also have its benefits (see Minecraft).

Having a resource chain for the food stands and other things where you have to take care of deliveries sounds fun too, a nice addition to the RCT mechanics.

Looking forward to how this develops, and +1 for small updates instead of big chunks. Also good luck finding that artist! The current guests remind me of these guys

Smiley

PS: Whats the engine, Unity?
PS2: I am a sucker for High Definition footage, would be great if you could use gfycat.com to do 720p+ HTML vids  Wink shouldn't take any longer then the existing gif's take already.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:34:03 AM by AODBAMF » Logged
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 01:55:54 AM »

This looks really nice! And I actually like your programmer art too.  Smiley

RK3000 - A city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords.
DevlogIndieDB

twitter.com/primaerfunktion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic