Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:14:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTitan's Battle (Temp Name) - Movement Prototype added.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Titan's Battle (Temp Name) - Movement Prototype added.  (Read 5567 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »

So I am starting this thread for a new game I have in development. Its going to be my most ambitious game to date, so I am starting all the pre-production now, for when I am away from my computer and cant code MicRogue.

I wanted to make a game which focused on boss fights, and to mimic some of the older more memorable fights in video games. I liked the boss fights that focused more on boss patterns instead of just spamming the attack button and trying to outlast the boss. So this got me thinking about what actions I needed. I knew that I wanted the boss to be invincible as they attacked, then give a brief period for the player to attack. the original idea was for the player to run up to the special area and attack, but this got me thinking that it seemed wierd to have the player run over to the boss and hit the button when just running over should have been enough. So the player just runs with their giant sword out at all times. the player only needs to worry about left and right moving and dodging. (This will work really well on mobile devices too.)

So for the first build will probably be a demo of the Slime Boss. It looks like this:

The player will need to stab the monster in the eye.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:03:46 AM by JasonPickering » Logged

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »

more mockups as I get a movement Engine figured out. Playing around with lighting ideas too.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »

playing around with the art a bit. Still seems a little to "clean" for my taste. I wanted that decrepit castle feel from Dark Souls.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »

I've always wanted to make a game with procedural boss fights. I feel like that would go well with what you already have going on here.

travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »

Graphics look really fantastic! Good luck!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

Thanks guys. The graphics are all really temp as I test out the different styles and colors I want to try. I am working on my boss prototype to see if this is a viable control scheme.

Jaun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »

Man, I'm in love with the art style, especially in the first image. Looking forward to anything you come with right here.

English is not my first language, so let me know if I made any grammatical crime.
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »

Yeah this is just my type of game (speaking as a lifelong swords & shields fan), love the look & style!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:55:48 AM »

alright guys. So prototype is getting closer to being completed. (Then I can upload it) so the big thing now is I need to design a boss battle. the way I envision the boss battles is like this:

The game will be an extremely low numbers game. the player will most likely have one health. So all attacks will be one hit kills. All Bosses will have One or more health, depending on their Phases. Each boss will basically work so that they have a small window where they can be damaged. It will be up to the player to dodge their attacks and hit that window. So for example The slime boss might have two attacks, maybe he throws blobs you have to duck under. and then also shoots a big glob across the floor forward and you need to be far away to dodge it. after that he will open his eye and can be killed. (I am trying to figure out how to let the player know a boss is vulnerable without using the tried and true method of flashing part). well if I decide to give the slime more health after the first hit, the slime would be in phase two, which would get another attack the player needs to worry about.

the design will be more of a puzzle then a hack and slash action sequence. I think the Ludum Dare game Titan's Soul is a good example of the boss fight idea. the game is about the vulnerable part of the boss, not whittling away at a giant health bar for 5 minutes.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »

playing around with the art a bit. Still seems a little to "clean" for my taste. I wanted that decrepit castle feel from Dark Souls.

Looks great Smiley Maybe a few spiderwebs in corners will help the decrepit castle feeling?

Can't wait to play the prototype!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »

yeah, spiderwebs would be a good addition.

Here is the movement prototype. its all mouse driven as I have been testing this on my phone. so the way the controls work is clicking on the right side of the screen moves you right. and left side moves you left. for now with a mouse you can click in the center and kind of move it left and right to path the character around. Stopping at a staircase will also have the character go up or down it.

Prototype

now to try and design a simple boss to test this whole thing out.

Nilanjan
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:02:47 AM »

This looks great.Keep up the good work... Smiley
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »

Will the shield block attacks when the player is turned away? I dig the simplicity.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:56 AM »

That's an unknown about the shield. I want to get as much out of the control scheme as possible, while relying on the simplicity. Since there exists only two directions I don't know about having you always block 50%. But I could see it being very cool, for say a wizard boss who is throwing fireballs or something. maybe I could do turning as a block. Like when the player turns a Block is thrown up very quickly meaning the player would have to time their turns. Although if that is the case, I am doing a boss where you must reflect fireballs back at them zelda style, that has to happen.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 05:06:25 AM »

still playing around with a first boss battle. I often find myself worrying to much about the art, then the mechanics, so I try to make boss monsters, and then figure out mechanics. which are all fine, but not really the best approach for rapid prototypes.

I think the first thing I might test is a boss similar to Bowser in Mario 3. Jumps into the air and then crashes down on some blocks. Having them hit a block a few times will cause it to crumble and they will fall through. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:13:24 AM by JasonPickering » Logged

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 04:18:25 AM »

new Prototype same link as before. The movement engine has been completely redone with keyboard controls. So here are the new controls

Left = Left Arrow, A
Right = Right Arrow, D
Attack = Space, S

you can just run around at the moment and swing your sword, I am still planning out the prototype. I think the first boss might be something where the player will use their sword to reflect fireballs like in the original zelda games.   

lionfish
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 04:48:14 AM »

Cool art and I enjoyed the simple yet detailed animation.  Great job!  I'm subscribing.
Jaun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »

Cool attack animation. You definitely have remarkable skills with the graphics.

English is not my first language, so let me know if I made any grammatical crime.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 07:51:32 AM »

Details like the waving hair when using the sword are nice!
I really like your art style.

I am not sure about the small pause when a sword hits. You need to test with enemies if that could be disturbing.

Keep it up!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »

Bombini. There wont be any enemies. This game will strictly be about boss battles, and I wanted the attacks to have that feeling, where the player could not just wail on the attack button, but instead needed to time it correctly.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic