Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:28:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSurvival Flight
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Survival Flight  (Read 1049 times)
matvey
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:38:24 AM »

Survival Flight

Game:

Description:

Airport cannot accept arriving planes... You must hold your plane in the air as long as possible and do not collide with the other planes.

Use arrows "Up" / "Down" to move and do not forget collect power-ups.

Screenshot:

This is my first html5 game.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:57:46 AM by matvey » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »

Nice little game. I only have two real issues, I think.

-There was no on-screen reference for where the limit would be, so I moved outward in order to avoid a plane and almost crashed into it because I was suddenly unable to move outward any more. Maybe a ring of scattered clouds would work to show the limit without ruining the overall look?

-The controls are very, very slippery. I can understand a little bit of drift on a plane, but it keeps moving so long after I release the button that I have to keep tapping the other direction in order to stop. It's really fiddly that way.

I like the concept and I think the gameplay probably appeal to people who like this sort of game (although I'm not in that group, so I can't be sure). The simple art style is pretty nice too. Overall, it's a decent effort and not bad at all for your first HTML5 game.

Edit: I tried the game again and don't find the controls as annoying as I did earlier, although I'd still prefer more precise control over my plane. I did notice some "popping" sounds in the music, though (I played without sound last time).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:56:12 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
NewProject
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »

-I have problems with controls to know what i'm doing. Perhaps a hud with info about altitude and angle?
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »

It's a cute little game.  I can't help but think that a rocket orbiting a planet would make more sens given the layout of the game.  Then you coud introduce other obstacles like comets and such.  Keep it up!

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:50:30 PM »

This was a fun little game, great work!

If you're looking for feedback. Here are my initial thoughts.

* enemy planes are hard to gauge since they come straight out and then turn on a dime into orbit.

* The simple controls were nice.

* A graphical indication of playable area would be swell.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:46:05 AM »

Pretty cool. I think it would benefit from touch/mouse controls where you can just click/tap the height you want to be at since I had issues keeping my plane in one place after moving it but otherwise it's a solid little game.

Netforza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »

Mouse/touch controls would be great. Also if possible I would like to differentiate my plane  from others.
matvey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 06:00:58 AM »

Hi guys! First of all I want to say thanks to everyone for very helpful feedback. It's very important for me and my game development in future!

I took into account all propositions and released new little update. You can find list of new things below:

Controls:
A lot of people ask to change behavior of player movement and add ability to control using mouse/touches. So, I did it. Currently you can control plane using mouse and keyboard on desktop and you can use swipe and touches on mobile. Also, movement of player was changed , I removed 'drift' effect, so you have more control around plane now.

Gameplay:
Added special indicators on top of screen that indicate how much time is remaining of specific power-up if it was picked up.
Add visual indicator of playable area.

UI:
Added on screen controls to mute/unmute music and control to pause/unpause game.
Aadded new screen for choosing control type (like swipe or tap) on mobile.

I'll be glad if someone will play it and test and give some new feedback Smiley

Link on the game is remained the same:  http://alxmtv.github.io/flight/

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:58:14 AM by matvey » Logged
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:48:54 AM »

Much better. The controls feel pretty good now. I would have gone with clicking and then having the plane go to the height clicked rather than forcing the player to hold it, though.

Made it to 150 before being stupid trying to get a powerup.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic