Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:17:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The animation thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The animation thread  (Read 32952 times)
Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »

Hey so I've seen that there is a '3D thread' for all sort of 3D work, so I thought I would make one for animation! Whether its 3D or 2D it doesn't matter. If you are a 2D artists -post your gifs! 3D artists? You can post your rigs and gifs of your animations. You could even post up your images and ask for help troubleshooting whatever animation related problem you are currently stuck on. (This doesn't look "right", how should I rig this? etc).

I will start of! I have just finished rigging the deer for my personal project game. I have never rigged a quadruped before, so I just looked up some images of dogs doing random things (You get more results for "sitting dog" than you do for "sitting deer" Cheesy) and tried to study the way their joint bend (Those back legs are strange as hell). I tried to find some good "low poly quadruped rig" examples but I had no luck - just a whole bunch of high res horses Waaagh!

Luckily, in my game everything is unlit and the texture does all the shading. This means I can get away with some joints creating a "broken" mesh when they deform, as long as its not too severe. This was really huge because I am working at a low poly level, and don't have many verts to work with.

So first, here is the mesh with the final rig on it

I had with one of my joints. The issue was with the front legs of the deer. When it was bent sharply (ie sitting) the back side of the joint would collapse and the joint would become tiny.

rig:

I needed a way to keep that section 'inflated', so what I did was create another 'bone' at the knee pointing backwards. I assigned the collapsing verts to that knee and made it so that that knee maintained its offset with the lower-leg bone. Heres the rig:

And the result:

not very pretty, but thats OK. Like i mentioned before, my game is unlit, so even though the mesh looks funny when lit, it'll just be colored a flat color in game. It'll look like it has volume, and thats enough! Smiley

Here it is in game:

pwnzly
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »

Do u have vertex groups for every bone? Before I answer u

Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »

Hey sorry I didn't see your reply. Yeah, every bone has a vertex group, every bone is responsible for something.

siskavard
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:31 PM »

Oooh I'm going to like this thread! That deer is super cute.

I just animated this little guy

Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

I can almost hear a tiny 'thud' as the front half lands, haha!

Here is my human character run cycle ingame:

And the behind the scene goodies:

Side on:

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:39:03 AM »

Very cute, and lovely detail when his pelvic area becomes compressed!

siskavard
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »

The design is super cute.

His head seems to slam down even though his feet are lightly touching the ground on impact. Seems like the cycle would benefit from his feet hitting the ground a bit harder so it matches the head movement. That's just my opinion, I dunno if you're looking for feedback or what.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »

I think the run could benefit from some side to side action. You have the legs good but The body and spine is very stiff. I would move the body to the left and the right at each down position putting the weight over the contacted foot. I can draw a picture if this doesn't make sense.

Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:01:19 PM »

Awesome feedback you guys. I'll fiddle around a little more with him when I get some free time! I haven't started working on any new models yet but when I do I'll be posting my progress here to get feedback as I create the animation. I think that is where this thread will shine. I'd love to see some of the stuff you guys are working on too, even if it isn't final work. I think it'd be easier to make adjustments before you polish up (that is, if you are looking for feedback :D )

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:12:03 AM »

I approve of this thread.

Cute anims! Like Jason said, you should definitely try to loosen the spine a bit though and get some twist in the hips and shoulders. Also bounce on the head feels too rigid. Snaps back too quickly. Maybe have a bit more overlap in spine and head. You might need to add more bones in the spine, though you'd need more polys as well in that case.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »

Here are some Vines from a bunch of work. (MicRogue, Chaos Reborn, and Unannounced iOS game)

MicRogue, Chaos Reborn, and Unannounced iOS game

Test Anims for Chaos Reborn

Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »

Thanks @Ninja, noted!

@Jason looks great.  Your dark style for chaos reborn is awesome. In the second video I felt like the attack animations didn't really have an impact. Especially the dragon. It doesn't feel like there is a force behind the dragons swipe for example. Maybe speed it up a little more?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »

Yeah, we are still dealing with that. I need to remove the blend from the idle. Those anims are from the Unity engine and the blending is messing with some of the attack arcs.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 04:52:38 AM »

This is a thread called 'the animation thread' so this is where I'll post this

I felt like one really has to get back to the basics once in a while and do them good old animation exercises, so I made a 'bouncing ball'.

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 02:04:11 AM »

Here are two animations I made for a soccer game on the N-Gage (YES, N-GAGE!! HA HA!).
The game was called "Marcel Dessaily Pro Soccer", and it was made by Gameloft (YES, GAMELOFT!! HA HA!).

It was used during the penalty sequence.

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 02:35:35 AM »

Here are two animations I made for a soccer game on the N-Gage (YES, N-GAGE!! HA HA!).
The game was called "Marcel Dessaily Pro Soccer", and it was made by Gameloft (YES, GAMELOFT!! HA HA!).

It was used during the penalty sequence.
Looks nice Wink
But I prefer bigger feet Tongue

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »

Yeah, I don't know why at this period of time I used to make characters with small feet. :p

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »

I recently spent a week learning Blender and found out that while rigging was really fun, animating everything was very tedious and boring as hell AND I apparently suck at it. Just watch this sorry excuse for an idle-loop animation as a prime example:

(Image represents my first ever go at low poly modeling, rigging and animation.)

I'm going to continue modeling and rigging my creations since that was quite straight forward after the initial treshold, but I hope I can find someone else to animate them because that step was anything but. Either that, or I have find some Youtube videos showing some really awesome new workflow...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:40:07 PM by eobet » Logged

Gagz9k
Level 0

Part of LudunPactum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »

This was my first walking cycle, I believe:

Blambo
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »

That's pretty fucking amazing for a first.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic