Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:59:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 591
Print
Author Topic: Art  (Read 2215281 times)
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5320 on: April 18, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »

Epileptic holy crap that is so... perfect.
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5321 on: April 19, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »

Epileptic holy crap that is so... perfect.

It's amazing to see what other real-world artistic talents are hiding within the pixel pushers here!

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5322 on: April 19, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »

Last month I went on a search for some of my mothers left mementos.
My mother passed when I was young so I have very little of her to remember her by;
I found a small journal with entries from a trip I was on with my parents when I was less than one year old.
In it I found 2 doodles, from what appear to be myself. But if I was only one, was I already drawing the images in my mind today?

This, is freaky.
A couple pages later I found this too.
There is less resemblance in the lines, but it's still fun to compare your first works to some of your most recent.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:35:20 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5323 on: April 19, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »

There's some pretty cool template drawing thread happening at /co/. Thought I might as well post these here, as I really enjoyed doing them.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: April 19, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »

oh god brock samson

those are really funny. good work, kYn

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5325 on: April 19, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »

Spider jerusalem.. much love  Kiss
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5326 on: April 19, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »

Oh, whoa, kinnas, you're doing covers for Stross novels? Nice.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Jrsquee
« Reply #5327 on: April 20, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »

Here's the first test print with all 3 colors. I'm excited to pull a nice print from this later! 12x12" woodcut, 3 blocks.

jwk5
« Reply #5328 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »

More iScribble doodlin' fun...
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5329 on: April 21, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »

Wow, I think that's one of my favorites of yours. Very sweet lighting going on there.

Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5330 on: April 22, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »

Wow, I think that's one of my favorites of yours. Very sweet lighting going on there.

Seconded.  Shocked

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: April 22, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »

Moar badgers from me.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5332 on: April 22, 2011, 11:46:53 PM »

Really like the textures on that brick thing on the right.

WIP of painting for my girlfriend's 18th birthday. Wanted to make something sweet and romantic for her, as well as branch out from my usual cartoony style.

Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5333 on: April 23, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

WIP of painting for my girlfriend's 18th birthday. Wanted to make something sweet and romantic for her, as well as branch out from my usual cartoony style.

Why not something traditional then?

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5334 on: April 23, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »

Traditional... like... traditional media?
SunnyKatt
Level 1

Just a guy writing code

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5335 on: April 23, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

Yeah. As in, go stretch the canvas.

. . .
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5336 on: April 23, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »

Okay, but... what about the pic I'm working on right now? I mean, it's a digital painting, but it's still a painting, no? Why are you asking me to use a different medium?

Here's an updated version:

And for funsies, the pattern that I made for the background- not sure about the stretching effect I used in the image above, but at least I have this on hand if I want to fix it. Twas quite fun to make.

Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5337 on: April 23, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »

Your light source seems to be a very bright sun coming from the right, maybe a window? I'd love to see bright highlights on the hair and bits of faces, and shoulders/arms and hands, etc. It'd add a lot to the pic!

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5338 on: April 24, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »

I think the biggest problem right now are the textures and shading. You've got stuff like the overall shape of the faces nailed down pretty well, but the shading is so weak and blurry that the whole picture feels really flat. I'd suggest trying more stark contrast, and defining the features of the faces more. Also, you seem to have shaded a lot with just a darker variation of the main colour, which isn't always very smart. I'd suggest trying shading with not only a darker colour, but also a 'colder' hue and maybe less saturation as well. Skintones are hard to do well but I'd say that'd be a start.

As for the texture, it mainly concerns the hair; the light red part in the woman's hair looks a bit like continuous goo because the shading/lines don't give a sense of hair (the darker parts of her hair work really well, though!). Same goes for the guy; it seems you've attempted to give the hair some texture, but rather than making the hair fully textured you've added slightly darker scribble here and there. The guy's hair has also the same problem with the chose colours of shading; it could be more interesting.

I assume that the bedsheet is WiP because it lacks detail and stuff like folds, so I wont comment on that.

I'm aware that my comment may sound like harsh and unforgiving. Don't understand me wrong; I'm just trying to give help. Shrug

jwk5
« Reply #5339 on: April 24, 2011, 06:50:19 AM »

The colors are very flat which is probably due to not working with a gradient of any sort but instead progressively shading from the base colors as you go. I did up a short tutorial about working from gradients when coloring here.

Referencing the shades of skin from a photo good place to start when trying to set up a skin tone. You'll want to compose a gradient from the darkest and lightest colors of the skin in the photo and then modify it to taste (making it either more lively or dull depending on your needs).

The middle color (i.e. the color between your lights and darks) should have the most saturation (i.e. it is the most vibrant). When doing the brightest highlights I like to use a near-white complementary color (in this case, the skin is mostly red-ish so I used red's complement aqua).

The other thing you may want to fix is her arm which is very muscular (unless her arms are actually very muscular in reality...) You've got a bulging going on in the bicep/triceps area that you may want to narrow down a bit.

Anyways, I hope that helps. I just woke up and I am still very tired so forgive me if I've worded anything confusingly or such.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:03:15 AM by JWK5 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 591
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic