Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:09:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 591
Print
Author Topic: Art  (Read 2215308 times)
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8480 on: January 15, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »

Worked almost all day on this.

It's based on a sketch from quite a few months ago.

anyways... (click to make bigger)

Sorry it's not finished. I'll work on it more tomorrow and post a final ver.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:30:41 PM by peanutbuttershoes » Logged
xyzzyismagic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8481 on: January 16, 2013, 01:36:04 AM »

^So much ~style~.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8482 on: January 16, 2013, 02:54:31 AM »

I recently sketched a random female elf, as I was drawing I noticed that it was looking too masculine, which is something I often silently criticize other artist for doing. So as i went through the steps of fixing the sketch I thought I'd post what I thought of doing to maybe help other people,

please chime in if you know of other tips on this topic

matwek
« Reply #8483 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:16 AM »

I recently sketched a random female elf, as I was drawing I noticed that it was looking too masculine, which is something I often silently criticize other artist for doing. So as i went through the steps of fixing the sketch I thought I'd post what I thought of doing to maybe help other people,

please chime in if you know of other tips on this topic

Looks good, I didn't really notice anything wrong with the first picture till I saw the other. Then again my human anatomy skills aren't that great when it comes to sketching.

Just out of interest but does any one have any tips for drawing non attractive females. I don't mean fat females or ugly females, just ones that are, you know, normal. Games would be so much better if the female characters had as much diversity as the male ones.
Don't worry this isn't some rant about sexism, I'm generally interested in how people would go about drawing a female that isn't your usual gaming stereotype.
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8484 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »

Jackson31: That's a terrible piece of analysis that will lead you to draw horrible generic comicbook women with retarded always-on makeup and huge lips and samey jawlines that will lack any kind of personality  Sad

edit: positive program - draw from life, find photos of interesting faces and analyze those instead
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:42:42 AM by kinnas » Logged

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8485 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »

Just echoing what kinnas said but yeah, just go out there and draw examples from life. It will enable you to gradually build up a visual library in your mind that you will be able to draw upon.
Also thank you Kinnas for your reply earlier, very helpful Smiley
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8486 on: January 16, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »

Finished! I guess. (click to embiggen)

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »

so fucking cool. make a comic.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »

Finished! I guess. (click to embiggen)

Neat, the art style reminds me of the Mind Game anime.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »

so fucking cool. make a comic.
Agree. The guy with glasses is really badass Smiley
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #8490 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »

I love the little black powder grenade

style reminds me a bit of Hark! A Vagrant's Strong Female Characters stuff: http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=311

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8491 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »

Jackson31: That's a terrible piece of analysis that will lead you to draw horrible generic comicbook women with retarded always-on makeup and huge lips and samey jawlines that will lack any kind of personality  Sad

edit: positive program - draw from life, find photos of interesting faces and analyze those instead

Amateur artists, like myself, often draw every character looking like themselves, since they are so used to their own image subconsciously, so in the case of males drawing female characters they often unwittingly add boyish features.
I was merely showing where I noticed myself doing this in the process of making that sketch in order to maybe help people who struggle to separate their drawn faces from their own likeness.

Of course I recognize that this is a generic/idealistic depiction but that's what I was aiming for, and if I wanted to draw a more realistic female with varied features then obviously the process would be different.
There's no need for you to condescendingly spout womens rights at me like it's something everyone doesn't already know.
This is political correctness in overdrive when someone can't observe common features of pretty females without being called a sexist. What if someone was to do a breakdown of the common facial features of a particular race? Would that be racist? No, it's just an overall observation of a group average, of course people understand that any human can differ from these models in any way.

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8492 on: January 16, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Jackson31, you presented your idea as an end-all be-all answer for drawing females. I felt the same as kinnas when reading your post.

If someone reads what you wrote and is upset by it, and you realize you didn't write it well enough to completely share your whole point then you are responsible for the backlash (IE kinnas post).

Don't push blame to others, just say "oops, yeah. I meant this. sorry." and leave it at that.

feminazi
« Reply #8493 on: January 16, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

Amateur artists, like myself, often draw every character looking like themselves, since they are so used to their own image subconsciously, so in the case of males drawing female characters they often unwittingly add boyish features.
I was merely showing where I noticed myself doing this in the process of making that sketch in order to maybe help people who struggle to separate their drawn faces from their own likeness.

Of course I recognize that this is a generic/idealistic depiction but that's what I was aiming for, and if I wanted to draw a more realistic female with varied features then obviously the process would be different.
There's no need for you to condescendingly spout womens rights at me like it's something everyone doesn't already know.
This is political correctness in overdrive when someone can't observe common features of pretty females without being called a sexist. What if someone was to do a breakdown of the common facial features of a particular race? Would that be racist? No, it's just an overall observation of a group average, of course people understand that any human can differ from these models in any way.

he didnt even call you a sexist. quit projecting
feminazi
« Reply #8494 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8495 on: January 16, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »

It was implied, and regardless, his feedback was negative without being constructive, if he doesn't like the comic book art style or any other art style he can keep it to himself, I don't go saying anyone work is terrible because it's in a style that I don't personally like, and neither should anyone else, that's what's meant to separate boards like this from 4chan

feminazi
« Reply #8496 on: January 16, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »

you wouldnt have dudes liek him on 4chan hes too pro

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8497 on: January 16, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

In defense of Jackson31, Kinnas's critique was pretty harsh. No need for terms like "horrible" and "retarded" here. And who doesn't use a few standardized shortcuts in their art? Drawing from life is certainly the better option, but let's not kid ourselves- most professional artists don't design EVERY character based on a specific real person.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: January 16, 2013, 06:21:20 PM »

the harsher the critique, the more genuine the critic cares for your improvement
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:52:25 PM by kummerspeck » Logged

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8499 on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »

Thanks guys. Smiley
I really like it a lot so I'm thinking up story ideas. Maybe it will go somewhere.

peanutbuttershoes: i really love that piece - it does a great job of creating a setting and narrative that feel internally consistent and inviting, like stuff is going on outside the edges of the picture. i'd love to see you turn it into a series of illustrations.

That's something I really enjoy in other artwork so I'm really glad to hear I can pull that off too.

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 591
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic