Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:15:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeAre Roguelikes wornout right now or is the negativy I read a vocal minority?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Are Roguelikes wornout right now or is the negativy I read a vocal minority?  (Read 4850 times)
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

I love Roguelikes / Roguelites. I've lost a lot of time to them and they fit well with my current gaming habits. I often don't have long to game and like the feeling of mastering something so I enjoy jumping into a game for 15 to 45 min and having a new experience every time.

I'm still playing Spelunky after a year and half and almost every run is a hell run now but I still enjoy it. Anyway I ask because I'm spending a lot of my time working on Roguelike that I have yet to announce and I'm interested to know if I'm one of the few still excited by the genre or if there's many out there like me. I'm not out to add to the noise and I feel passionate about what we're doing so audience or not I'm making this game for myself and people like me.  Cool

Thanks!
Conker534
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »

who cares you should just make what you want to make
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »

Niche genres don't really "go away" fuck the scene.

FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:20 AM »

Roguelike wont go away shortly, that's for sure. It's been 20 years+ since NetHack release and at least i still play it regularly (the game's even older than me!),
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »

As long as the game decent, there's no point in giving it up. Sure, there's a load of roguelikes, but there's always room for a dozen more. Just make it.

Yeah.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »

Thanks guys, I definitely will see this game through to completion, it's not only the game I want to make but the kind I love to play! It's just nice to know that other people would be excited to play it or if it would be coming out of the gate already hated.

I know it all comes down to the quality of game we make, a shit game can come in any genre. I'm excited to share some progress with the TIGforums and get feedback from people more knowledgeable then I. We're still getting our ducks in a row but we'll be sharing soon! The next step is figuring out how much is acceptable to share without annoying people.
Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »

Exactly this, and what everyone else said. Think of it this way.. making a game or a certain genre isn't a privilege for a privileged few. Everyone can make a game. Make a game that you want to play. If you put your heart and soul into it and it's fun, then you're on the right path.

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »

What is "in vogue" at the moment is just an arbitrary and circumstantial distinction. A good game is good no matter when it is played. Even if rogue-likes might be fairly common now, a rogue-like that is well-done is timeless.

This game-play niche has gained traction in recent years thanks to the indie scene's fascination with procedural generation. It's easy to see why. Procedural generation is the most efficient way to create a lot of content quickly. Off-loading basic level generation to the computer allows you to have a lot of levels. It also allows for emergent experiences that often feel more organic than custom-crafted levels. It is also the easiest way to insure replay-value for a title. Just roll the dice for a new experience or challenge that you haven't yet faced.

If making this style of game is something you want to do, by all means, do it. You will likely face steeper competition than you would have previously, but there is still plenty of room for experimentation.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »

Roguelikes are kinda shitty right now because a lot of people who make shitty games where the scope is "everything" starts with a roguelike. They have really bad implementations of their everythings and combined with bad graphics and bad controls and no polish and being proud of being in pre-alpha early release.

If you can't design, just toss ALL your ideas into something, don't bother with a theme and call it a roguelike. If you've got no ideas at all, take a cliche dungeon crawler, add crappy non-animated graphics and call it a casual roguelike.

There's good roguelikes no doubt about it. The genre just starts to suck when they become buzzwords.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »

Being avant-garde would be making a non-procedural, infinite-lives game.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »

Absolutely this Smiley

@Gluntronics all the best with your roguelike game!

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »

Roguelikes are kinda shitty right now because a lot of people who make shitty games where the scope is "everything" starts with a roguelike. They have really bad implementations of their everythings and combined with bad graphics and bad controls and no polish and being proud of being in pre-alpha early release.

If you can't design, just toss ALL your ideas into something, don't bother with a theme and call it a roguelike. If you've got no ideas at all, take a cliche dungeon crawler, add crappy non-animated graphics and call it a casual roguelike.

There's good roguelikes no doubt about it. The genre just starts to suck when they become buzzwords.

You forgot to hashtag #realtalk at the end of that. Ha. It seems like a genre with high highs and low lows. Here's hoping that I'm creating content that will entertain others beyond myself.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm excited to start sharing content soon! Once the games name is trademarked I'll start showing some of our progress for your  Blink Blink
ericmhunter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »

I believe that most perceive the genre of rougelikes as much of the same. The genre is constantly held in the regards of "random". The issue with this, especially for those who aren't very familiar with this type of game, that the randomness isn't really random at all.

Sure the level layouts are different every time you play the game giving the gamer a new experience each time, but the elements are always the same. The walls look the same, the enemies repeat and at the end of the day the thought of the Rougelike loses it's luster. Just seems like the same over and over again.

Now you can say this is a fact with pretty much every game, but those games don't advertise the genre as a new experience with each play through. Sadly, rougelikes don't get the exposure they deserve. Hopefully yours may bring it to light and drive it to the top of the list so everyone takes notice of what a great experience these games can offer.

All the best of luck.

Eric M Hunter - I Am Eric M

Eric M Hunter
blog.ericmhunter.net
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »

My only fear with Roguelikes now is that it has become too established of a formula that I fear it sets up precedents that people will be prone to forget to challenge.

Why not make a dungeon crawler with one life (perma-death) but with static, well designed levels that are not generated at all? Maybe something where the levels' designs stay the same in one sense but change in an other way (e.g. breaking a dam in what part of the game world leads to a large section of it now being a flooded water level instead of what it used to be for the remainder of play throughs unless something drains it, etc).

What makes Roguelikes interesting is their challenging of a lot of game design elements that were normally set in stone as being a different way for a large amount of games. Things that were so prevalent they had become tropes (lives, static levels, etc).

Me, I'm working on an unroguelike, authorially generated, attic flier with temporary death.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »

Once the games name is trademarked I'll start showing some of our progress for your  Blink Blink

lol, do people do that

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 02:41:15 AM »

Trademarks are only there to protect products from claiming to be from someone. You can't really enforce a trademark without being recognized a brand in the first place.

(but that's another, longer discussion)
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »

Once the games name is trademarked I'll start showing some of our progress for your  Blink Blink

lol, do people do that

IDK I'm new to game development. I have experience in video content so I'm adapting a lot of what I understand of intellectual property from there. Are the two worlds that dissimilar?
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 12:45:06 AM »

Trademarks are only there to protect products from claiming to be from someone. You can't really enforce a trademark without being recognized a brand in the first place.

The intent was to trademark the name under an LLC. I agree this is a longer discussion. Is there another thread on TIG that has covered this? I will admit I'm confused by the details of this so I'm just trying to follow what would be standard operating procedure.

I mostly don't want to work under a name that has already been taken and have to change late in development or have a larger project come out later down the line with the same name.
psepho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

The intent was to trademark the name under an LLC. I agree this is a longer discussion. Is there another thread on TIG that has covered this? I will admit I'm confused by the details of this so I'm just trying to follow what would be standard operating procedure.

I mostly don't want to work under a name that has already been taken and have to change late in development or have a larger project come out later down the line with the same name.

Registering a trade mark can be a good idea if the game's name is particularly unusual and you are strongly attached to it.  In most jurisdictions a registered trade mark can also be enforced without yet having a strong brand.  But do bear in mind that you would be spending a moderate chunk of cash, certainly several hundred dollars if not more, for an right that only stops people copying the name (and only in the specific jurisdiction where you register).  It will not stop people cloning the overall game but using a different name, which is a more likely risk if the game does fairly well.  It is unlikely that people will start actively ripping off the actual name and identity of the game unless you reach very high levels of player awareness (e.g. Flappy Bird which now has numerous similarly named imitators) -- by which time you will hopefully have plenty of cash for legal stuff!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic