Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:35:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs#insanityjam: BEST FRIENDS CHEAT DEATH
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: #insanityjam: BEST FRIENDS CHEAT DEATH  (Read 1006 times)
racarate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »

im starting insanityjam with like 30 hours to go, so who knows how this is going to work out.

my randomly generated topic was "a strategy game where you fix things that look like you while setting fire to stuff"

i'm going to make a game about a doctor healing soldiers.  as they come back to life they knife death in the stomach.  it should be a game of timing and tradeoff, hopefully i can make the environment such that you can't heal all your friends in time and need to make some trade-offs.

i've never made a strategy game before, so i'm going to try the valkyria/synapse method of omnidirectional movement with finite "move juice".  that way i don't have to program grids.

i... think that's all!  time to get to work!

oh, no idea about the "setting fire to stuff" i assume something like that is built into openframeworks.  will add before submission.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:29:50 PM by racarate » Logged

racarate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »

ok, just wrote up a bunch of crazy crap and tried to figure out composition (after twenty attempts, went with the first kinda-boring rectangle... afraid i won't have time to get proper collision going).  i'm calling it 10% done!  time to enter program codes.

p.s. just had a realization... the message icon can be dynamic for game jams such that it shows how many hours remain.  until then, i'll just fake it by posting progress at 2.4 hour increments and adding 10% to my status.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:29:55 PM by racarate » Logged

racarate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »

ok, finally got a juice-based movement system going... doctor can only move one segment though, need to figure out how to build a path made of a bunch of segments.  death is equally dense, always seeking the weakest patient to ensicken them.  patients don't do anything but die yet.

also, tried streaming my process using wirecast + twitch.tv but it was kinda a pain in the ass (video seemed to intermittently freeze, had to restart stream and refresh webpage)

anyways, about 22 hours to go hopefully i can get some good sleep and then start on patient behaviors and endgame in the morning.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:30:01 PM by racarate » Logged

racarate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »

yeesh, that part of the jam where you dont have a game and there are seven hours left...

going to make it so that healed patients leave the room to give some semblance of an endgame.

in my head this was going to be jagged alliance but in practice it is turn-based rootbeer tapper.

my plan is to add/remove rules until 9PM then draw sprites and songs for three hours.

also, no idea how to distribute an openframeworks game hopefully that is easy.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:30:07 PM by racarate » Logged

racarate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »

doesn't look like i am going to finish, last-minute change to SPACE BED GODS look and going to make some music.  oh, insanityjam what a tease.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:30:13 PM by racarate » Logged

racarate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »

well i "finished"... spend the last few hours throwing together sprites, post-effects, and a music soundtrack.  also two different win messages depending on how many patients you save.  it felt really wrong, moving on to the superficial when the game proper didnt really exist, but alas.  i wanted to go through the whole process and post it and everything.  who knows, maybe somebody will like my song or sprite even though the game is a mess.

here's a last in-process screenshot.  right before i moved to outerspace.  the circles are an area of effect damage the patients have on death, but i changed my mind and kept death invincible.

random question, if anybody actually reads this: do you work on sfx or music first?  ive always gone music first, but i wonder if that is common or not.

here is the game:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16952283/bestfriendscheatdeath/insanityjam2014_bestfriendscheatdeath.zip

and here is the source:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16952283/bestfriendscheatdeath/insanityjam2014_bestfriendscheatdeath_src.zip

i think there is a "finished game" forum, ill go put it in there too.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic