Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:51:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSouls of Titans a 2D Action/Adventure(Early build available)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Souls of Titans a 2D Action/Adventure(Early build available)  (Read 3221 times)
Nilanjan
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:16:58 PM »

Souls of Titans is a 2D action adventure currently being developed by me.It is similar to Dark Souls(inspired by it) and is quite hard.The game will only have boss fights and puzzle segments similar to Shadow of colossus.The game has both ranged and melee combat although swordfighting needs refining at the moment.I'm starting this devlog and will update it frequently.Hope to get some feedback..The engine is practically complete and supports saving,loading,continue and loading cutscenes from external files.

Story

You are a warrior who's skilled in sword based and ranged combat.Somehow your love had died and you need to get back her soul in order to make her alive once again.So you make a deal with the demon who asks you to kill his enemies in the form of large imaginary freaks of nature and in return he would use his powers to bring your love back to life.So you begin the journey to slay the great beasts/demigods etc...

Gameplay

Gameplay consists of both melee and ranged combat with epic boss fights and puzzle segments.There will be blocking/evading and stamina based combat similar to dark souls but in 2d.Also like shadow of the colossus there will be boss fights only with puzzle segments thrown in between.

Development details

At the moment i'm the sole developer and handle the programming,art,music.

Please note some of the graphics and animation are placeholders and not representative of the quality of the final game.          

Here's a gameplay gif for the first boss fight still needs some fine tuning...

Here's the link to the gameplay video

Here's the link to a very early build
     http://www.mediafire.com/download/42b2419bo73glji/souls_of_titans.rar

Please not that this is put together in a month or so,expect some bugs.Also contains placeholder art.Sometimes the controls are a bit unresposive.The build contains a mini boss level(the health of the boss is halved intentionally for testing purposes) followed by a puzzle segment.You will need adobe air to run this which is included in the required files folder of the installation folder.Controls are in the readme file inside the installtion folder.The game saves in a text file located in mydocuments if you're running windows 7.You can also load levels directly,however i haven't tested it properly so it might not work the way it should sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:25:07 AM by Nilanjan » Logged
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »

Titan Souls is another game being made atm, the names might clash a bit...

So long and thanks for all the pi
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »

Yeah, expect a letter from their lawyers. Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Nilanjan
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »

Here's a link to the gameplay video showing a boss fight and a puzzle segment...

PeteDevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »

Yeah, expect a letter from their lawyers. Wink

Yeah, if your mate gets done over by another game that uses the same name as one of his games he might throw a fish-level fit and quit the industry lol
Nilanjan
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »

Wasn't aware of the game Titan Souls...Now i've watched it...But the gameplay and look and feel is quite different from my game.My game's primary focus is on projectile based combat along with a healthy dose of sword fighting with puzzle segments thrown in between.My game only has boss fights which are quite hard.Moreover Titan Souls uses pixel art and mine doesn't.So i hope all is well... Smiley
Nilanjan
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »

Here's some concept art...

dweedes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »

hell yeah

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

Looks epic as fuck.   Addicted Addicted Addicted

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Nilanjan
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »

@MealMate && @alvarop: It's very inspiring to see you guys liked it...expect to see a playable build soon with three or four levels with puzzle segments and epic boss fights.The full game will feature atleast twelve bosses,so it will take some time but i expect it to release it sometime at the end of the year.
Nilanjan
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

The scorpion queen is very difficult to animate as animating all insects are.Thought of a basic attack pattern today that will consist of teleportation(the queen will teleport to various places randomly and unleash deadly toxic projectiles Smiley),she would be able to sting you if you happen to get close.This is the basic thought but i'll expand on it later.
Nilanjan
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 02:54:18 AM »

Coding AI for the Hammer Knight Boss(that's the guy with the hammer in the video) is a nightmare at the moment.The guy is supposed to jump on you and land it's 1000 tons of body weight upon your fragile frame and make mincemeat out of you...The Knight follows the same logic that is used for launching the projectiles(arrows).But for some reason the state machines are behaving rather weird and it is not behaving in a manner it should...Coding AI which integrates projectile motion is nightmare...
Nilanjan
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »

A very early build with some placeholder art is available.Download it from this link-
http://www.mediafire.com/download/42b2419bo73glji/souls_of_titans.rar
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Nilanjan
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 02:13:46 AM »

Boss Concept
This is the scorpion queen boss. She launches her deadly butterfly swarm from her wand...The boss will use projectile based attacks initially...

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »

Good to see you're still working on this. The style trips me out.

Nilanjan
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »

Good to see you're still working on this. The style trips me out.
Beer!
Nilanjan
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »

Here is another boss character I'm working on...It's called the Mantis Queen Grin

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »

that mantis looks real. What's your process when making graphics? Do you use "real" textures and apply them to your outlines or what?

Nilanjan
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »

that mantis looks real. What's your process when making graphics? Do you use "real" textures and apply them to your outlines or what?
Actually I use rotoscoping when I desire realistic movement. Although this is a fantasy game I want the movement of the creatures to be somewhat realistic.The textures are drawn in Photoshop using reference images.
Nilanjan
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 05:35:47 AM »

Here's the Mantis Queen inside the game...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic