Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:11:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTurnover [Stealth] [Released]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Turnover [Stealth] [Released]  (Read 11637 times)
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »

Hi tigsource!

My name is Anthony and I've lurked tigsource for quite a while. I figure now is as good a time as any to show you guys the game I'm making, called Turnover.

Links
-----

Website | IndieDB | In-Depth DevBlog | Facebook | Twitter

What is Turnover?
-----------------

Turnover is a single player, 2D top down, survival stealth game for Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Synopsis:

"In a dystopian future, a powerful corporation hires a private security firm to execute a violent takeover of a competitor's HQ. Caught in the middle, brave office worker Clea attempts a stealthy escape."

How does Turnover play?
-----------------------

You are attempting to escape a building that has been taken over by a private security firm, so you guide Clea, floor by floor, to her freedom. Being an everyday office worker, you have to rely more on your patience and wits to sneak out, as opposed to any sort of combat skill.

There are some action elements, but the game is nearly pure stealth.

A standard floor in Turnover is populated with soldiers and security systems meant to capture anyone trying to escape. The player will need to use cover, speed, and silence to their advantage.

So, you may need to memorize the routines of guards to decide the best time to slip past. You might need to make some noise to distract them. Or, you might encounter a barking guard dog that gives away you position...

On some floors, the player will need help from their coworkers to press on. You'll sometimes need to shepherd a terrified IT worker to a security console so the security cameras can be shut off. You also may find a Rent a Cop to help you drop a few bad guys.

There will also be some surprises!

How does it look?
-----------------

Who is working on it?
---------------------

Just me. I'm a one man team handling the design, coding, and art. For anyone interested, the game/engine was written by me in C++.

I began writing the engine in May 2013 and Turnover as a game began to solidify sometime around October 2013. Work has continued in earnest ever since.

-----

I'll post updates in this thread as things progress. Please, visit my personal DevBlog for more in-depth posts.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:26:37 AM by anthnich » Logged

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »

Spent the day working on the mini-map.

My tester mentioned that sometimes he could use a little hint when it comes to world layout, especially in larger levels. So, after some discussion, we decided that a mini-map seemed like the most straightforward way to address the issue. I made sure not to expose too much in the mini-map, as to ensure it didn't affect difficulty.

I also went ahead and exposed the HUD opacity so the player can change that to what they want.

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »

Another mixup idea I'm working on for the minimap is instead of showing the entire floor layout (like the previous post), maybe have a zoomed-out view of the player's immediate area. Need to think this one through...

I'm still in HUD-work mode, so along with level work, that will be one of my primary focuses for at least the next week.

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »

Alright, here is the final HUD in progress, occupying the lower left corner of the screen.
I think I'll allow myself to move onto something else, I'm pretty pleased with it! (For now.)

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:51:07 PM »

Spent some time rewriting my Line of Sight code. If any of your guys want to read how I came about changing it, you can check out the most recent post on my personal devblog.

Over the last few days, I've been putting together some levels to help finish off the first half of the game. A level will go through a number of revisions after the base layout and gameplay is set. First, I'll put together a quick "look" with some wall and floor texture (like pictured above).

Then, as I revisit levels, I'll usually go back and add some deco and other little details to make the world feel fuller. Until the final level work begins, each levels will continuously be revised to add sprites and edit gameplay as coding progresses.

Lastly, when the game is nearly finished, I plan on going back in chunks and adding some more life to each level with some animated sprites and another coat of polish. That'll happen some time down the road!

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »

Here's a new animation, the Sentinel guard, having a smoke while on lookout.

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »

Hey!

Been busy planning and getting ready for the second half of development, which is coming up fast. Lately, I've been working on a boss battle to help transition the player into the second half of the game.

In my latest Devblog post, I talk a bit about possibly going down the Kickstarter route. Been doing a lot of planning in that area.

Question: Any TigSourcers have any advice, like things to avoid or what to expect, when it comes to running a tiny campaign? People write alot about running larger ones (both successful and unsuccessful), but not many on a low-goal (<$1000) one. I'd love to hear about your experiences.

And I'll end this post with, yet another, Sentinel idle animation. Thanks for reading!

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 08:32:14 AM »

Wrench vs. shotgun! The wrench is good for distracting, not for going head to head with a guy with a shotgun.

My latest devblog post goes into how I create levels for Turnover. I try to go over the process from planning to finalizing.

Outside of that, things are coming along well. I'm in the thick of development, so there isn't much to show off at the moment. I should have more to show off within the next few months.

Thanks for reading!

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »

Time for an update!

Turnover's Kickstarter campaign will launch this coming Tuesday, 5/27. The campaign will have a low goal and the funds will be used to cover upcoming costs. You can read about it in detail at my personal devblog.

Time for some media...

Here is a demonstration of the event cool down timer. Some interactions will show the timer bar to help give the player a visual indication of how long they have to react to certain situations.

Here is a fire extinguisher putting out fire. Fire interaction will be used to greater effect in later levels.

Thanks for reading!

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 07:11:47 AM »

Turnover's KickStarter campaign has launched with a conservative funding goal. Please, check out the campaign and consider lending your support! You can see more at Turnover's IndieDB page and chart the progress of the game from engine test to actual game at my devblog.

I'll leave with a GIF: the (work in progress) Sergeant boss pinning down the player.

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 07:02:33 AM »

DevBlog: Turnover Progress Report - Optimizations, Gamepad support.

Gamepad aiming

Been putting in a lot of optimizations, GUI, and gamepad input work over the last few days.

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 08:03:32 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »

It totally looks like that dog jumped on the protagonists head and began humping that noggin to sweet oblivion.

anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 07:17:58 AM »

Turnover @ Steam
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic