Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:04:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTORN: Dungeon Dark Souls inspired; playtesting wanted!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: TORN: Dungeon Dark Souls inspired; playtesting wanted!  (Read 3904 times)
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »

So, I've begun developing a new game called Torn(at least for a working title). This game is inspired by Dark Souls and when I say that I mean that I have been playing Dark Souls a lot and got into the mood to make something with all this pent up creativity lol.
    That brings us to now, I'm interested to know what people think and so far I only have two enemies and not all the mechanics are worked out. If you could give a bit of your time that would be awesome ^_^!

GAME: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80992654/web/web.html

Instructions:
WASD -> to move
mouse -> move sword
Down arrow keys -> dash

When you start the game go up into the large grey building and keep going till you change areas. There's no real goal yet so just fight a couple enemies.

UPDATE:
I added a "level" of sorts to test how having levels would change the game. I'm thouroughly happy with this change!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:27:21 AM by Cbear » Logged
HeuGamer
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »

Hey great start you got here!

The minimal style is great as well, but the only problem I have is the camera, I don't know maybe it's just me, but I don't like the camera being zoomed out so much. If this game was to have corridors and such, I think it would benefit from having the camera zoomed in more on the player. This would create a sense of exploration.

Anyways love the AI, and the fighting mechanic so far, with some tweaking and such It'll be great!
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:30 AM »

Hey great start you got here!

The minimal style is great as well, but the only problem I have is the camera, I don't know maybe it's just me, but I don't like the camera being zoomed out so much. If this game was to have corridors and such, I think it would benefit from having the camera zoomed in more on the player. This would create a sense of exploration.

Anyways love the AI, and the fighting mechanic so far, with some tweaking and such It'll be great!

Thanks! I'll be sure to update most likely. I've just been finding that feedback on this particular game has been incredibly useful! So thank you very much for helping out! <3
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »

I updated the game a bit!

added+
~level mock-up
~new white enemy
~camera pulled in closer to the player
~tweaks
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »

Update!

more Screenshots: http://color-coding.tumblr.com/post/82502215519/working-on-torn

Game URL can be found at the top.

I added a level and have been getting a lot of positive feedback from friends! Please test it if you have time <3
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »

new gif lol

MaxHeyderArt
Level 0

Freelance 2D&3D Game Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:38:28 AM »

Really interesting game concept! The fights are hard as hell and the aiming is really hard too, but with some tweaking and different enemy speeds it could be a really nice game! Looking forward to seeing the next updates!

abgtan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:36:25 AM »

Ok so I boot up the game. See myself. Dash around. Happy.

Go into the room. See my sword. Swing my sword. Happy.

See another block. Is this an enemy? Go close. Slowly rotate my sword and... Mock Anger I'm dead. WTF.

Anyway, good job so far. You managed to capture the threat of meeting anything new in Dark Souls. Not sure if I'm a fan of how the sword is swung though. It seems very cumbersome to attack, and doesn't have that satisfaction of quickly swinging a weapon. Maybe connect the sword swinging motion to my mouse motion?
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »

One thing that is kind of scary is knowing when I'm crossing the line from hard to just unfair. I'm tweaking the player controls right now to hopefully alleviate any of these issues. I will be releasing new builds everyday with fixes and tweaks so be sure to keep playtesting if you want and thank you to those of you that already have!

Here's a poster that I made for it today!

Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »

Ok so I boot up the game. See myself. Dash around. Happy.

Go into the room. See my sword. Swing my sword. Happy.

See another block. Is this an enemy? Go close. Slowly rotate my sword and... Mock Anger I'm dead. WTF.

Anyway, good job so far. You managed to capture the threat of meeting anything new in Dark Souls. Not sure if I'm a fan of how the sword is swung though. It seems very cumbersome to attack, and doesn't have that satisfaction of quickly swinging a weapon. Maybe connect the sword swinging motion to my mouse motion?

I'll add a mouse option to the next build and we can see the difference ^_^
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »

made a small update. I actually got through the whole level...but died to the boss lol. Art and tweaks in this update.
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »

Added mouse controls...I'm not sure if they help...feedback would be cool <3 the mouse controls are shoe-horned in at the moment(as a heads-up)
Jupitron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »

One thing that is kind of scary is knowing when I'm crossing the line from hard to just unfair. I'm tweaking the player controls right now to hopefully alleviate any of these issues. I will be releasing new builds everyday with fixes and tweaks so be sure to keep playtesting if you want and thank you to those of you that already have!

Hi! That poster is awesome! After a playthrough that really captures what I imagine.

I think it´s great, I love maps like super metroid, I dont know if youre aiming your game there but to me would make me complete every corner of that dungeon.

Are you thinking in boss fights for a future update? it would be awesome.

What I think it lacks is some sound feedback on attacks or collisions with arrows, maybe an enemy death scream or something, I pretty simple to implement.

And why not a right click spell? that maybe you can get different ones on every dungeon, like a pokemon chart, ice enemies get more damage from fire spells, so with one hand have a sword and a spell in the other.

Hope to see more of your game!

Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »

Hi! That poster is awesome! After a playthrough that really captures what I imagine.

I think it´s great, I love maps like super metroid, I dont know if youre aiming your game there but to me would make me complete every corner of that dungeon.

Are you thinking in boss fights for a future update? it would be awesome.

What I think it lacks is some sound feedback on attacks or collisions with arrows, maybe an enemy death scream or something, I pretty simple to implement.

And why not a right click spell? that maybe you can get different ones on every dungeon, like a pokemon chart, ice enemies get more damage from fire spells, so with one hand have a sword and a spell in the other.

Hope to see more of your game!

Those are all things I hope to expand on! In terms of a boss there actually is one in the game right now it's just difficult to get to him and the game doesn't tell you at all how to get there xD still working on it.

Paint
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »

Really enjoyed it.

The movement felt a bit sluggish to me, frustratingly so. I was craving some more responsiveness from my character. You can keep the speed, just some feedback from the character that you're actually holding down W would be nice. Also, the fact that the dash is not tied to any resource system... kind of ruins the ambiance once you realise you can perma-dash through the whole dungeon.

Though you managed to capture a feeling of some sweet sword play, even though all you're doing is holding out your sword in front of you. When your character swings his sword around due to a collision and it takes out another enemy, makes you feel like a boss even though you didn't actually do anything.

Nice job.
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 05:12:30 AM »

Really enjoyed it.

The movement felt a bit sluggish to me, frustratingly so. I was craving some more responsiveness from my character. You can keep the speed, just some feedback from the character that you're actually holding down W would be nice. Also, the fact that the dash is not tied to any resource system... kind of ruins the ambiance once you realise you can perma-dash through the whole dungeon.

Though you managed to capture a feeling of some sweet sword play, even though all you're doing is holding out your sword in front of you. When your character swings his sword around due to a collision and it takes out another enemy, makes you feel like a boss even though you didn't actually do anything.

Nice job.

Thanks for the nice words. I have debating on if I should add a stamina system and how that would affect the UI and the aesthetics. I'll be thinking on how to do that next. I've been focusing a lot on combat and the game is already wildly different from how it was even a week ago. I'll be continuing to post updates hopefully every two days or so. Thanks again for the feedback ^_^
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »

I've decided to show stamina by playing a heavy breathing sound effect. The less stamina the heavier the breathing. You can only dash when stamina is at a certain level. Health my either be done similar or with a black or red fade over the screen...I'm not quite sure how to tackle this one yet as you almost always die instantly.

here are some pics of what the game would look like with unity pro lol

Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »

Gomez

beat the first level of the game FINALLY!! It's possible!
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »

Okay I just updated!! I added a new level to test. This one is mainly archers and some new enemies. You can now right click when touching a corpse with your sword to pick it up ^_^
Mysteria Studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »

Okay I just updated!! I added a new level to test. This one is mainly archers and some new enemies. You can now right click when touching a corpse with your sword to pick it up ^_^
Picking up the corpses and using them as shields against the arrows was pretty fun. So this seems like a good addition. Can the archers teleport or something? Suddenly one of them was behind me and killed me. Ah well maybe I am just tired.  Yawn
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic