Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:56:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creative"Be the pong" android development experience
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Be the pong" android development experience  (Read 1376 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »

Hi guys/girls

I have always been curious about developing games for mobile devices and this weekend I decided to do just that, and now I share the experience. Also, I'm at my parents house so I need something to do.

The idea was to make a very simple game and, if it's not too embarassing, release on google play. Implementing ads was also planned. So I made this in half a day, the other half was used to all the other things like creating the account, reading all those guidelines etc.

The whole process was not as hard as predicted but still quite annoying. Programming in Unity was easy, it recognizes my device connected and I could test the game very rapidly. It did however gave rise to a whole new batch of bugs I never seen before. There's a xml file I didn't know existed playing all sorts of important roles. And the final APK is almost 10 MB, which is quite unacceptable for such a small game with barely any images (I think the only image file is the grid in the background) and only one beep sound.

Implementing ads was not too difficult but the only solution I found in the asset store creates those hideous ads that block the whole screen. Yuck. If I ever start developing seriously on Android this would be a problem.

I don't have much to say about google store. It's all very intuitive and easy. The 25 dollars fee to create a developer account is soft enough to make this experiment feasible.

So go play Be The Pong, the result of my work. It's not exactly a work of art but it's fun for a few minutes. And make sure to click all those annoying ads that jump at your face so I can get rich. Thank you.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic