Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:27:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio[**Creative Tip**] Limit/Restrict The Instruments That You Use To Compose
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [**Creative Tip**] Limit/Restrict The Instruments That You Use To Compose  (Read 1257 times)
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »

Create a "custom library" of instruments, but only of instruments that you've created/designed, layered/tweaked, or ripped/sampled.

Then create a song using "only" that custom library**

Should give off a more unique and original sound.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:44:00 PM by Majestic » Logged

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
Jordanoakley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »

Yeah, this method creates nice continuity between tracks (if composing for an album/game/film etc).
I wouldn't suggest sticking completely to this rule though, because sometimes you just really need that different lead instrument (or drum sample, bass etc).

Website   //  facebook  //  Soundcloud
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:22:43 AM »

I'm doing a soundtrack that uses one primary instrument and I think that can help tie a score together but if you're talking about composing in general.... I say the more instruments the better! Depends on your skills and abilities.
Also, why is it assumed that all people use is libraries of virtual instruments?

SanctusAudio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »

The more experienced I have gotten in composing, the more I have noticed I tend to widdle down the amount of instruments in a track for a few reasons.

1.the more variety of instruments means a more variety of different sound frequencies(which sometimes makes it a pain to mix)

2.Simplicity and silence often speaks much louder than an ensemble in a composition. I can't tell you how many times in a track adding a few seconds of silence has made all the difference between measures.
Ni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »

I don't know if I'm necro-ing this post, but my approach to music has been keep the number of instruments low. It's not worth it for me to have more than one instrument occupying each of the low, mid, and high bands.

Majestic - Should I link you to my soundcloud page? Well, hello there!
Jordanoakley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »

I don't know if I'm necro-ing this post, but my approach to music has been keep the number of instruments low. It's not worth it for me to have more than one instrument occupying each of the low, mid, and high bands.

I get the logic behind this way of thinking, but surely it's still acceptable to do things like doubling different instruments for a nice texture (i.e trombone and tenor sax), or subtly layering a synth patch?

amushel
Level 0

Nice jump, human.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »

I think it's important to distinguish between instruments and parts in this scenario.

If you have multiple instruments performing essentially the same function or playing the same melody in a given range of frequencies, it can further emphasize that part and the combination of several sounds can create a very different collective timbre. If you have several pads playing the same chords at the same time, you aren't really cluttering up the mix.

When restraint become more important is when you're dealing with multiple parts in the same frequency range, especially instruments with a similar timbre. Once you have multiple melodies occupying the same space, the mix can get pretty muddy and make more aggressive mixing techniques (panning, EQ, etc) necessary for clarity.

Game Audio Designer and Composer.
andrewmushel.com | Soundcloud | Twitter
Jordanoakley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 01:35:28 AM »

I think it's important to distinguish between instruments and parts

Exactly what I had in mind. That's the best approach I think.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »

Sounds useful, but not sure what an instrument is in this context? Just one sound patch on a synth (and not turning the knobs too far?). Would love to see  some.example lists from real projects?

Limitations are usually great for creativity, so always good to think of new ways to limit what I do.
nOkbient
Level 0

yarp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »

This has always been one of my little creative secrets while composing. Using less forces your mind to think innovatively to begin with. I often force myself to use small, free softsynths when I want to use powerful flagship synth plugins. Instead of Massive or Absynth, use a crappy free plugin from 1998 or something.
Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »

Simplicity is definitely the way to go.  The more the overcomplicate a piece the more cluttered it sounds.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic