Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:12:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMad Sorcery
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Mad Sorcery  (Read 4221 times)
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:45:22 AM »

(previously known as Scrolls, Swords and Granite)

Where the idea came from:
A top down dueling game has been on the to-do list between a friend and I for a long time. Following the light hearted 'criticism' of my previous game, WizardWizard a game about a wizard unable to do magic, I present a game about Wizards actually doing magic.

What is Mad Sorcery?
2 players (for now) fight in a top-down arena with obstacles and power ups. The power ups come in the form of upgrades and spells. There are 3 spells, Rock, Paper and Scissors. You can only pick up 1 spell at a time and they swap when you pick up another. Your wizard will transform into the element they have equip and will fire that element and can only be killed when hit by their weakness. Upgrades effect speed and spread ect.
The game turns into a frantic duel of dogging and cat and mouse as players scramble for spells and upgrades.
It's going to be local head to head co-op only at this stage. If I like where the game goes
I'm probably going to need someone else to program AI and networking in the future but at heart this is a game you play on the couch with mates.

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:43:31 AM by CrateBoy » Logged

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »

scissors beats paper!

It's still sorta fun without the implementation of projectile weapons. I'm excited to get rid of place holder art but a lot more has to be done first!

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »

The original concept drawing.

The two wizarding DJ's that will be laying down the phat beats in the arena. Obviously inspired by the famous French duo.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:49:46 AM by CrateBoy » Logged

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:21:54 AM »

Made some prettier test graphics. Still pretty ugly.
The sword projectiles will be replaced by the element fired and will look like magic and have lots of awesome spell looking sfx.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »

RIDING ON CLOUDS!

Yeah so, its now played mid air on low-friction clouds. Hell yeah! Makes for some fun controlling.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:21:42 AM by CrateBoy » Logged

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 06:24:50 AM »

Cool project! I love local multiplayer arena games. I'll keep an eye on it :D

Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:55:58 AM »

Those clouds are lovely!  Kiss
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »

Cool project! I love local multiplayer arena games. I'll keep an eye on it :D

Thanks mate!

Those clouds are lovely!  Kiss

Hahaha, I'm very happy to hear this considering I went to work on it this morning and said to myself "are they riding on clouds... or their own beards".

EDIT: Development
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:52:33 AM by CrateBoy » Logged

Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 03:16:09 AM »

The idea of wizards riding on their beards is hilarious. Cheesy

I saw that in your original concept sketch you drew four wizards, are you still going to do that at some point? Seems like it could be a ton of fun.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:30:52 AM »

The idea of wizards riding on their beards is hilarious. Cheesy

I saw that in your original concept sketch you drew four wizards, are you still going to do that at some point? Seems like it could be a ton of fun.

Well you can comfortably fit 2 people on a keyboard... 3 if squishy 4 would be great with controller support. If someone with GameMaker skills could impliment LAN or online multiplayer that'd be fantastic. But at the moment, I'm focusing on making it fun with only 2 people but I imagine there will be some sort of support in future.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »

We're back baby!  Wizard
Please excuse the gif... its hard to play a 2 player game by yourself!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »

i want to see this take off, totally.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 07:16:51 AM »

After play testing it with my lovely girlfriend (despite being brutally critical Tongue ) I have made some notes and changes:
The projectile sizes should be larger and stand out more (FIXED)
The game is much more fun when you can't spam the shoot button
There should be at least 2 of each pick ups and should be randomly (but evenly) scattered on each level.
Lots of pillars and obstacles should be implemented for cat and mouse style fire fights.
Controller support would be awesome but you can comfortably fit 2 players on a laptop keyboard.
Dat blue placeholder is ugly (FIXED)

EDIT:

Now featuring the wizarding world's resident DJ's
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:09:15 AM by CrateBoy » Logged

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:57:27 AM »

Made a cute lil' banner  Wizard

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 03:53:53 AM »

I love how floaty the movement seems and with the little cloud and shadow there is a real sense of depth!

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 05:44:30 AM »

Looks and sounds like fun, would love to try it. Love the DJ's! It's starting to give me a Medieval Tron vibe, not sure if that is what you are looking for, but deff could be exploited.

Thought about adding a crowd element?

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 06:08:40 AM »

I love how floaty the movement seems and with the little cloud and shadow there is a real sense of depth!

Thanks man! The shadows have got to be tweeked and I want the player to have a fall animation when they die.

Looks and sounds like fun, would love to try it. Love the DJ's! It's starting to give me a Medieval Tron vibe, not sure if that is what you are looking for, but deff could be exploited.

Thought about adding a crowd element?

Thanks man! The original concept was "what if tron had guns" and then the concept turned into what it was. I ditched the solid light trails to trap the player and then came up with the rock paper scissors thing. The little light trails the wizards leave is a bit of a nod the original concept and I think it looks pretty sick. The crowd is the next thing on the art list and they will be around the entire arena and the DJ's would be in the crowd somewhere. Hopefully will be dope!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:24 AM »

Thanks man! The shadows have got to be tweeked and I want the player to have a fall animation when they die.

Yeah a fall animation would be really neat! I love that kind of responsiveness.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 07:45:19 AM »

Yo dawgs,
Swords, Scroll & Granite transformed into Mad Sorcery. Check out some pics:

I've added random character generator, which currently only creates a random name combo, but will soon be create random player models to.

Playable demo coming very soon! Tell me what you think

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »

Looks interesting, just running around and no jumping or flying to get hidden bonuses?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic