Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:15:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMad Sorcery
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mad Sorcery  (Read 4219 times)
Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »

Yes!
Glad to see this is still alive.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »

Yes!
Glad to see this is still alive.

Thanks man, that means a lot! It's always been in the back of my mind. I'm just in an endless tug of war of doing this and studying in my last year of school. It will all be over soon!  Toast Left

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 03:39:47 AM »

Sword surfing and magical blunderbusses?
Wot.

Aiming in Mad Sorcery has always been a bit hard because the spells just rip out of the wizards chest. I tired centering the staff but it always looks a lil' phallic. As an alternative I'm experimenting with a magical blunderbuss which seems more logical for these big brute wizards to wield.

Knowing your opponents element has been about iffy to. I'm experimenting with the clouds transforming into the element. I like the idea of sword surfing, scroll carpet rides and riding on giant rocks.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 09:04:21 PM »

This game looks awesome!

The game is much more fun when you can't spam the shoot button

Maybe a Towerfall: Ascension-style game mode might work?  If you haven't played it you should check it out.  Basically it would mean limited ammo (like 5 shots) after which you would have to fly around and try to stab the person with the correct element.  I'm imagining some benny hill action where a guy with scissors is chasing a paper guy but then he's gotta turn around cuz the guy picked up a rock

Also I think you should consider having the wizards ride their beards. They're wizards. Just let it happen

Caravan: devlog | website
desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »

I like this so much!
Keep up the good work.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 11:16:39 PM »

This game looks awesome!

The game is much more fun when you can't spam the shoot button

Maybe a Towerfall: Ascension-style game mode might work?  If you haven't played it you should check it out.  Basically it would mean limited ammo (like 5 shots) after which you would have to fly around and try to stab the person with the correct element.  I'm imagining some benny hill action where a guy with scissors is chasing a paper guy but then he's gotta turn around cuz the guy picked up a rock

Also I think you should consider having the wizards ride their beards. They're wizards. Just let it happen

I certainly did consider the Towerfall approach. The game already is very benny hill action with the shooting the way it is. I'm considering knockback with the implementation of magic blunderbusses. This would be good pay off of when chasing someones tail and have to make the decision to try to tag them or shoot knowing you'll be slowed down if you miss.

I like this so much!
Keep up the good work.

Thanks mate! I'm working on it as much as I can, unfortunately I'm a shocking programmer and very slow to make art but she's gettin' there.

Edit: Thanks to some guys on r/gamemaker I'm also in the process of porting my previous game WizardWizard to HTML5 as soon as I'm done with that I'll try to get this working in HTML5. I think this game is most suited for browser play in the long run.

blip
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 04:33:32 AM »

Two ideas:

* texture the wizard trail differently for current weapon/element/spell

* if they hold a staff to the side, they could wave it in front of them to launch a spell

Love the setting, and local multi is always fun. Good luck!
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 06:18:19 AM »

Enjoying the rebrand very much.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 08:19:13 AM »

Two ideas:

* texture the wizard trail differently for current weapon/element/spell

* if they hold a staff to the side, they could wave it in front of them to launch a spell

Love the setting, and local multi is always fun. Good luck!

Hmmm, the trail idea might work. I was going to have the staff originally swing during a spell cast. The problem from the beginning though was aiming before a spell was cast, it was to hard to line up an opponent. Thanks for the words man.

Enjoying the rebrand very much.

Thanks mate, I'm trying to get a bit experimental so the creation process is a little slow but I'm working it out.

Let me know what you think of the new element surf boards:

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »

We're getting there!

EDIT:
Experimenting with a bit of RGB flicker
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:34:00 AM by CrateBoy » Logged

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »

Put together a thing while I wait for authorization on IndieDB

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »

FLAME ON!

yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 10:04:20 PM »

Looks like a lot of progress has been made! It seems that whoever is faster would have a pretty significant advantage.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »

Looks like a lot of progress has been made! It seems that whoever is faster would have a pretty significant advantage.

Thanks mate! The coding is done for the demo, I just have to get rid of all the place holder art and make it look sexier.

Both players will always have the same max speed Smiley

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 04:42:35 AM »

I used the donation money some lovely users left me on itch.io to buy a gamepad! So that means controller support for both Mad Sorcery and WizardWizard coming soon! Gamemaker's default gamepad support seems pretty decent! It took like 5 minutes to get it working after consulting the manual.

The controller is a wired Xbox360 Afterglow, it feels great and it makes me feel like I'm in Tron.

So yeah, Mad Sorcery ditched the Rock, Sword and Scrolls things in replace of elements! Mainly because its easier to understand but also easier to convey visually.

I also added lighting effects!

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

So I'm still experimenting with the art style, so its a bit all over the place and theres a lot of placeholder everything.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic