Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:05:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPhilosophy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Philosophy  (Read 978 times)
The Last Citizen
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »

Hey everyone! I was kind of curious what you guys believe in.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:12:45 AM by The Last Citizen » Logged
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »

Quote from: Paul Eres
"Karl Popper blamed Plato for the rise of totalitarianism in the Twentieth Century, seeing Plato's Philosopher-kings, with their dreams of 'social engineering' and 'idealism', as leading directly to Stalin and Hitler (via Marx and Hegel).[1] In addition, Ayatollah Khomeini is said to have been inspired by the Platonic vision of the philosopher king while in Qum in the 1920s when he became interested in Islamic mysticism and Plato's Republic. As such it has been speculated that he was inspired by Plato's philosopher king and subsequently modeled elements of his "Islamic Republic" based on it.[2]"

interesting; didn't know khomeini was a fan of the republic; reminds me of hannah arendt's theory that rationalism was the origin of totalitarianism.

my father gave me a book by eckhart tolle, which seems to be a sort of watered down u.g. / radical honesty variant; the writing is bad in comparison and the idea less forcefully stated, but the basic idea is the same: that seeing the world dominantly through abstract thought, through the filter of forms, and letting those abstractions take priority over sensory observation such that observation itself becomes bent by that filter of abstractions is the origin of evil and the problem of the times -- which is true but i don't think there's much we can do about it because it's part of our nature and brain structure.

he thinks that just through force of will and spreading the good word and giving people good practices like meditation humanity at large can reach another state of consciousness. i don't think that is possible. people have been trying that for thousands of years, it hasn't done much: monks in monasteries still have petty squabbles, and even the dalai lama is too abstract in his orientation, as is eckhart tolle's writing itself: all solutions are the problem, the only answer is to stop asking questions and stop looking for a solution, as u.g. said, the harder people try to reach higher states of consciousness, the more they stay where they are;

thought is physical, it proceeds with a physical machine, so it follows that higher states of consciousness would require a change in that machine. sometimes this is accomplished through a stroke. just by chance, strokes can produce enlightenment in people, as they did here, and with (i suspect) u.g.

there is only one method i know of which can permanently alter the structure of the brain in a controlled fashion currently available to me*, and it's of course the method i've been experimenting with, quite blindly and helplessly, like searching in the dark. maybe something will come out of it, maybe not. some people did seem to get a positive effect from immortal defense, but i don't know if those are statistical aberrations, a placebo effect, or something actually in the game itself. i've seen a lot of changes in people from other games though -- xenogears and ff6 are commonly named. but of course we can't see into the brain to see what is changing, so it's guesswork.

(*not really true, books also work, although i like books less because they're more abstract, and because i've lost the ability to read books lately; i only read one book a month on average now, instead of one every few days as was common in my early 20s)

but we can to a degree see into our own brains, observe our own changes after doing certain things. through this empirical method we can learn what changes consciousness. abstract systems can be used to weaken abstract systems; words can be used against themselves. but it's not easy to measure it this way; memory is selective, a lot of people say something changed their lives but it actually didn't, or vice versa -- but it's probably better (for most purposes) than trying to guess from the outside: easier to see changes in consciousness in oneself than in others

there's also a casual direction problem: who knows if it's wise works which cause the wise, rather than the potentially wise which are attracted to wise works? the latter seems just as common, maybe more. and an immune system problem: many people are closed off from things which may help them, because rationalism guards itself, doesn't want to let the default state of sensibility take over again, the way it was when they were young; rationalism is a tool which doesn't want to be just a tool, like agriculture and automobiles it changes the old ways so much that going back is often impossible

i've been watching the x-files lately. the show is really strongly about epistemology: empiricism/scully vs deduction/mulder. because it's a show and fiction mulder is usually right and scully wrong (although often she has something which is right too, even in the show). but in real life, scully would always be right and mulder would be crazy, because in real life most of the stuff in the show doesn't exist and is just imaginary. the show is pretty great but it also has a pretty dangerous message: that wanting to believe in stuff despite the evidence always turns out to be the better path than going by observation -- but to give the show the benefit of the doubt that could be interpreted as an expose on the human tendency to do that rather than a recommendation that people actually operate like mulder does

my sister has two ferrets in her room, i can hear them scratching the door occasionally. she bought them in in secret, in a box, hiding them from our mother (though she told her eventually). they're not in a cage, as we don't have one. they poke around, trying to search every nook and cranny of the room; they tried to sneak into my shirt a few times, it's cute. if only there were a way to have the sensory focus of a ferret combined with the intelligence of a human -- why do people (as a whole) have to give up sensory reality so much in order to think about general categories and concepts? no reason why not. i don't even think it's our brain's fault anyway, really. i imagine a superstructure of rationalism from above, an overmind of it is a possibility: systems self-organize, and if totalitarianism and the state are essentially rationalism writ large, perhaps it itself is the cause of rationalism writ small (through instruments such as media, school systems, and the like)

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »

Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
Practical Explanation ( For Example ) :- `1st of all can you tell me every single seconds detail from that time when you born ?? ( i need every seconds detail ?? that what- what you have thought and done on every single second )

can you tell me every single detail of your `1 cheapest Minute Or your whole hour, day, week, month, year or your whole life ??

if you are not able to tell me about this life then what proof do you have that you didn't forget your past ? and that you will not forget this present life in the future ?

that is Fact that Supreme Lord Krishna exists but we posses no such intelligence to understand him.
there is also next life. and i already proved you that no scientist, no politician, no so-called intelligent man in this world is able to understand this Truth. cuz they are imagining. and you cannot imagine what is god, who is god, what is after life etc.
_______
for example :Your father existed before your birth. you cannot say that before your birth your father don,t exists.

So you have to ask from mother, "Who is my father?" And if she says, "This gentleman is your father," then it is all right. It is easy.
Otherwise, if you makes research, "Who is my father?" go on searching for life; you'll never find your father.

( now maybe...maybe you will say that i will search my father from D.N.A, or i will prove it by photo's, or many other thing's which i will get from my mother and prove it that who is my Real father.{ So you have to believe the authority. who is that authority ? she is your mother. you cannot claim of any photo's, D.N.A or many other things without authority ( or ur mother ).

if you will show D.N.A, photo's, and many other proofs from other women then your mother. then what is use of those proofs ??} )

same you have to follow real authority. "Whatever You have spoken, I accept it," Then there is no difficulty. And You are accepted by Devala, Narada, Vyasa, and You are speaking Yourself, and later on, all the acaryas have accepted. Then I'll follow.
I'll have to follow great personalities. The same reason mother says, this gentleman is my father. That's all. Finish business. Where is the necessity of making research? All authorities accept Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. You accept it; then your searching after God is finished.

Why should you waste your time?
_______
all that is you need is to hear from authority ( same like mother ). and i heard this truth from authority " Srila Prabhupada " he is my spiritual master.
im not talking these all things from my own.

in this world no `1 can be Peace full. this is all along Fact.

cuz we all are suffering in this world 4 Problems which are Disease, Old age, Death, and Birth after Birth.

tell me are you really happy ?? you can,t be happy if you will ignore these 4 main problem. then still you will be Forced by Nature.

if you really want to be happy then follow these 6 Things which are No illicit sex, No gambling, No drugs ( No tea & coffee ), No meat-eating ( No onion & garlic's )

5th thing is whatever you eat `1st offer it to Supreme Lord Krishna. ( if you know it what is Guru parama-para then offer them food not direct Supreme Lord Krishna )

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
If your not able to follow these 4 things no illicit sex, no gambling, no drugs, no meat-eating then don,t worry but chanting of this holy name ( Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra ) is very-very and very important.

Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare " and be happy.

if you still don,t believe on me then chant any other name for 5 Min's and chant this holy name for 5 Min's and you will see effect. i promise you it works And chanting at least 16 rounds ( each round of 108 beads ) of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra daily.
Here is no Question of Holy Books quotes, Personal Experiences, Faith or Belief. i accept that Sometimes Faith is also Blind. Here is already Practical explanation which already proved that every`1 else in this world is nothing more then Busy Foolish and totally idiot.
every `1 is already Blind in this world and if you will follow another Blind then you both will fall in hole. so try to follow that person who have Spiritual Eyes who can Guide you on Actual Right Path. ( my Authority & Guide is my Spiritual Master " Srila Prabhupada " )
read it complete. ( i promise only readers of this book that they { he/she } will get every single answer which they want to know about why im in this material world, who im, what will happen after this life, what is best thing which will make Human Life Perfect, and what is perfection of Human Life. ) purpose of human life is not to live like animal cuz every`1 at present time doing 4 thing which are sleeping, eating, sex & fear. purpose of human life is to become freed from Birth after birth, Old Age, Disease, and Death.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:52:31 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »

edited link out of your post. don't quote spam links, that's my philosophy.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »

I was kind of curious what you guys believe in

Myself, really.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 01:32:19 AM »

I've found it impossible to trust in science and computers without becoming a determinist.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Uykered
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 01:34:45 AM »

I believe whatever I'm told.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 10:16:05 AM »

Why?

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic