Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:43:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSo few 3D artists
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: So few 3D artists  (Read 1095 times)
solosnake
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »

I notice precious few 3D artist posting their portfolios. Its enough to tempt me to jump the divide from programmer to 3D artist and retrain. How hard can it be?  Well, hello there!

More 3D artists please.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:34:37 AM »

It's probably not worth switching just because there's an opening. Programmers are notoriously difficult to find as well. The grass looks greener on the other side.

I did a quick look through the first 5 pages of the Portfolios subforum and looks like there's as many 3D artists as there are programmers. Programming is also a more specialized discipline too... if you have your choice of three programmers, how many will be skilled in C++, Python, Java, C#, PHP, Ruby, specific frameworks, and so on?

I probably wouldn't do 3D as an indie. The demand for it has spiked these last few years thanks to Unity but something like 2D is still more employable if you plan on working for yourself (and freelancing making logos in the meantime).
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 03:32:59 AM »

There are tons around if you know where to look.  If you aren't already, you should join a local game dev association.  I met up with 2 artists who agreed to collaborate with me a couple of weeks ago.  There are also a few forums around where artists are also looking for devs.

dhondon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:10:08 AM »

Maybe because its a strong focus on 2D on TIGforums? Take a look over at Unity 3D ( http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/48-Commercial-Job-Seeking ), there you'll find a larger % of 3D artist.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

cghub, polycount, cgsociety, reddit, unity community -- the world is drowning in 3d artists.

ClockworkWolf
Level 0

Tick Tock, Clockwork Wolf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »

Lots of 3d artists abound, tough to find ones with good communication skills though.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic