Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:37:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogue Seas (Working Title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rogue Seas (Working Title)  (Read 1209 times)
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »

Intro
Since Frog Sord and affiliated projects are on some form of hiatus, I have been working on a side project of mass proportion. Myself being the programmer, I have decided to focus on something tech-heavy in the mean time.

About
Essentially, this project will be a roguelike-like reminiscent of Spelunky or The Binding of Isaac. The catch is that I am trying to add a few layers of complexity by generating an entire Zelda-like/Metroidvania rather than something linear.

The project isn't exactly DevLog-ready, but I am hoping that this encourages me to work hard on it and share my journey/process with all of you.

Coffee

Questions
1) Should the overworld map always be the same size? I'm playing with starting the player out with small maps (2 dungeons) and then working them up to larger ones (3-4 dungeons). Or perhaps the player should be able to choose in order to approximate the length of their play through (4 dungeons will make the game significantly longer than a round of BoI).

2) Perma-death? Yes or no? I like it, but I feel like it may be too harsh if the game gets a bit lengthy during later play throughs. A set number of lives, maybe?

Concerns
1) The world generation is complicated and because of this I haven't posted any screens yet.

2) No art yet, so nobody gives a shit about the game. Ouch.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:16:31 AM by Zack Bell » Logged

AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »

OMG THIS IS SO GREAT! I WANT TO SEE MOREZ!

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »

OMG THIS IS SO GREAT! I WANT TO SEE MOREZ!

That would be Alejandro. He worked on Frog Sord too. He knows what this is and how many headaches it has given me thus far.

Gomez

AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »

Perma-death: You can deal with it the same way Dungeons of Dredmor did. Just have a flag before the game starts asking if they want the option to be active or not.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »

Working on better/smarter ways to fill the world with semi-important items (heart containers, stat boosts, keys, etc). I want there to be a good balance of items hidden in plain sight as well as hidden in caves/mini-dungeons.

Right now I'm balancing how many of these locations can be accessed prior to each metroidvania-item. These being the items that you get while in large dungeons that will allow you to access more of the map.

EDIT: This sort of thing is getting too complicated to leave unfinished and come back to later. My notes hurt my brain.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:27:23 PM by Zack Bell » Logged

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »

A quick look into the overworld generation.

1) The first step is simple. All I am doing is splitting the world into nine rooms and assigning locations for the dungeons that are necessary to further story progress.

2) The second step is where things get a bit complicated. Each of the nine rooms are broken up into nine, smaller zones. Each zone is represented by several strings that work together in parallel to save a bunch of information. This info includes the layout of the zone (1x1 zone island, 2x1 zone island, a small cluster of islands, etc), some info for how the game should generate that particular set of islands, accessibility (which metroidvania item(s) are necessary to make progress and/or access each island), etc.

3) The final step (for now) is all about the actual island generation. I look back at the information that I have already generated and use it to determine the actual procedural generation of each island. This is where I create actual game objects, auto-tile the island depending on how difficult it is and what items and obstructions are necessary, as well construct dungeon entrances, shops, secrets, etc.

Obviously, I am leaving a lot of the information out of this post, but I wanted to show something somewhat visual and give a little bit of insight into what the project actually is.

If you boil it down to the bare minimum, I am basically trying to procedurally generate a top-down Wind Waker like game.

More to come  Coffee

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »

Epileptic*gulp* Crazy

This looks extremely interesting and at the same time extremely ambitious. Kudos to you for undertaking such a project. If you succeed this could be a game of games Shocked

I'll be rooting for you!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »

looks sweet... wait, Frog Sord is on hiatus  Cry

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic