Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:37:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCommunity Feedback On Desirable 2D Art Assets
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Community Feedback On Desirable 2D Art Assets  (Read 1206 times)
tapmybuttons
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Currently I'm in the process of creating 2D art Packs and I thought what better way to introduce myself and ask the community what type of art packs they would like to see and how much of your budget you set aside for art assets.

I would love to hear your feedback and your preference on vector or pixel art packs.

After all its the community that will be buying these assets and I would like to create them with you in mind.
tapmybuttons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:19:07 AM »

Perhaps my questions were a bit too broad, If you have a spare moment please answer the following:

Are you interested more in pixel art or vector sprite sheets?

How much would you spend on a sprite set?

What kind of sprite sets are you after (action/ stealth/ rpg/ fighting orientated)?

Would you like a sprite set to include fonts/ lettering too?

Or are sprite sets too broad for your needs and would prefer Illustrator/ Photoshop files to be included?

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »

Maybe check what "universal" art assets are popular?

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Finding_graphical_tiles (here is a bigger list)
http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/tome-tiles.htm (and of course the ultimately most ever famous Gervais tileset :D)

Personally, I feel it makes sense for RPGs only (sufficiently standarized) and I would try to make a paid extension to an already existing free pack.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »

1. I think the market for pix art and vector are both equal. If I were you, I'd do the vector art, then apply a pixelation filter to it somehow; which is far easier than vectorizing and sharpening a pixel base.

2. I'd keep figures under $100, if you're reaching people around here. Bear in mind, most of us don't have a lot to work with, that's why we're developing (and acquiring) independent titles/programs.

3. I personally, am going for a Star Oceany/Chrono Triggery kind of spriteset that can be applied to top-down and sidescroller settings and make sense; but in a simplified, abstract 4-color scheme (so that left/right limbs can be interchangable in animations), and with the kind of line-of-action/exaggeration stuff you see more commonly in fighters (especially noticable in NGPC fighters).

Creatures can be *greatly* simplified in comparison. Some vehicle/spaceship designs would be cool too. Everybody loves vehicles and spaceships, those can be fairly universal.

4. Come on, everybody loves rockin' fonts! Making the fonts visually expressive is a good gift to have. If you're a font-artist, you should get the jist of a game's vibe, and SUGGEST font-art.

5. This will come on a case-by-case basis; but they should be in some editable format. If nothing else, for the sake of hitbox/collision adjustment. I know PNG is a popular format among developers, because of it's simplicity, transparency support, and relatively small filesize.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »

@tapmybuttons: I guess it would help if you present some of your work to show what you are capable of. As Archibald said RPG/dungeon crawler stuff is probably the best bet.

1. I think the market for pix art and vector are both equal. If I were you, I'd do the vector art, then apply a pixelation filter to it somehow; which is far easier than vectorizing and sharpening a pixel base.
I think there is no such filter. For good results over-painting will always be necessary. I think the techniques don't share much, when it comes to shapes and structure which makes this additionally difficult.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic