Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:01:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpelunky v1.1 (and Source)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 228
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky v1.1 (and Source)!  (Read 1527304 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:42:48 AM »

Spelunky v1.0

Latest build:
http://www.derekyu.com/games/spelunky_1_1.zip (9.5 MB)

Spelunky has its own website now: http://spelunkyworld.com/

Beer!

--- ORIGINAL POST ---

Submitted for the approval of The Midnight Society, I call this story... SPELUNKY!  This is my latest game release and my first Game Maker game.

Probably the easiest way to describe Spelunky is that it's (kind of) like La Mulana meets Nethack - every time you play the levels, items, monsters, and so forth, are all procedurally-generated.  And the terrain is destructible and there are quite a few ways in which the various game elements can interact with one another.

My goal was to create a fast-paced platform game that had the kind of tension, re-playability, and variety of a roguelike.  In roguelikes, the gameplay tells the story, and I wanted to give Spelunky that type of a feeling... but make the player rely on their reflexes rather than their brain (or knowledge of what 50 billion command keys do!).  If there's a best of both worlds, that's what I was trying to go for.

But yeah, I'll leave it to you to decide whether I got the mix right or failed miserably!  The game is not quite v1.0, but it has most of the elements that I wanted to get in.  Hope you enjoy it, and I am eagerly awaiting your feedback, whether it's good, bad, or frickin' beautiful.  I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't break!

Many, many thanks to the beta testers, without whom this would not have been possible!  Seriously, they contributed a ton of feedback, bug reports, and ideas to the game.  If it wasn't for the constant tears in their eyes from my cruel lashes, I might have thought they even enjoyed it a bit.  And thanks, ChevyRay, for letting me use your nifty screen-scaling code.  Once I got it to work, it worked pretty beautifully.

K, that's all!  Feedback away! Beer!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:08:12 PM by Derek » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 06:48:37 AM »

Downloading at the speed of light
Will provide feedback later
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:25:11 AM »

Very neat, just started playing!

Unfortunately, I got an error after pressing C, while carrying the gray block and having thrown the "rope" or whatever two times.
for object oPlayer1:

Error in code at line 23:
       if (holdItem.type == "Bow")

at position 19: Unknown variable type

I actually got this error three times, it was very easy to replicate.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:32:10 AM »

Hm!  The testers have gotten this error before and I keep thinking I fixed it - what's the exact sequence of moves you're making to make this happen?
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:37:05 AM »

Here's the exact state when it happens:

It happens right at the beginning here. I jump down, kill the enemy, throw the rope two times, pick up the item, and then press C.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:50:12 AM »

This game is awesome.  Beer!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »

Thanks, Mr. Yes, I finally got it!  It crashes when you are carrying an item, cycling, and have no bombs or ropes.  Fixed now in the link above.  And here's a fixed exe:

http://www.derekyu.com/games/spelunky_0_96_1.exe

This game is awesome.  Beer!

Kiss
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:08:34 AM »

Hello there, everybody. I'm GeneralValter, and I endorse this game.

Also, obligatory interjections about this game being really cool. Kiss
mirosurabu
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »

Have tried it but didn't have a time to give it a proper (read longer) try. I like how main menu is organized Kiss and I like the music (Cave Story rip-off? Tongue). I feel there are some Indiana Jones influences too.

Regarding bad side, so far I got annoyed by one thing - when you die it doesn't tell you that you have to press X to go back to main menu (or maybe I didn't see the note).
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »

This game is really great, and damn it's hard, I keep trying to kill the old man at the shops, but he always outsmarts me :D

I just have one complaint, I was playing the tutorial at first but then I tried to open a crate and it exploded(?), or maybe I confused the controls and dropped a bomb, not really sure what the hell happened. Anyway my point is, I died in the tutorial without learning all the little quirks, and I really wanted to get back there, but it seems the tutorial only shows once. I even tried deleting/start all over the again but the tutorial just won't show again.

Aside from that, really, the game is really nice, I got a feeling I'll keep playing this game everyday for a long time.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:12 AM »

Sadly, I can compare this game to Samurai Railroad Mansion and Assassin's Creed. I say sadly, because it's comparable it the categories "never starts" and "gives me a BSOD", respectively.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »

Cheater, is seems like some kind of issue with Game Maker games. Besides AC, that is.

Also Derek, bug. If you break a pot by shooting it with a shotgun too close you'll die, which doesn't make sense.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »

Cheater, is seems like some kind of issue with Game Maker games. Besides AC, that is.
Actually, I have run plenty of GM games with only some keyboard issues.

Anyways, the game works if it's not fullscreen'd, I have played it only a little, but I have already managed to kill myself by throwing a rock at a  wall. It bounced. Awesome.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 10:16:45 AM »

Very neat, just started playing!

Unfortunately, I got an error after pressing C, while carrying the gray block and having thrown the "rope" or whatever two times.
for object oPlayer1:

Error in code at line 23:
       if (holdItem.type == "Bow")

at position 19: Unknown variable type

I actually got this error three times, it was very easy to replicate.

doesnt == make gm want a non string answer Wink try =

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 10:42:30 AM »

Why isn't this on TIGdb? Wink
The-Imp
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 10:56:20 AM »

You can do anyting can't you? I bet you even did Naija's voice in Aqauria, DIDN'T YOU?

Otherwise, that was pretty awesome, but those spiders are the bane of existence.
 Angry
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 11:14:53 AM »

The-Imp Evil You know nothing of pain yet!

Derek, should I wait until 1.0 to front page it or is it fine if I do so now?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Corpus
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »

This game is like when you're head cheerleader and you're dating Big Terry, the hottest quarterback in town. He's totally dreamy and you're, like, so in love with him, but... well, he abuses you. Every night you're doin' it, sometimes several times a night, but after a few minutes the rage always descends on him and before you know it you're lying in a bloody pulp.

Sometimes you don't even make it to Area 2.

The thing is, though... it's worth it.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »

This game is still the bane of my existence.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »

Wow.  Awesome stuff Derek.  This is so cool.

A possible bug (unless I'm missing something): I beat my highscore in money collected, but then skipped the "Game Over" dialog.  I don't think it updated the highscore after this.

Also: Gamepad support.  Please!  I could even write you a quick tutorial on the best way to do it if you've never done it with GM.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 228
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic