Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:15:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpelunky v1.1 (and Source)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 228
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky v1.1 (and Source)!  (Read 1536911 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »

I made it to the spoiler!
Then died.

Also, the shopkeeps still seem to have possession errors - I picked up a bomb bag completely way out of his shop and he got pissed off.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

This seems like a great little game, especially for pre-1.0! I love the basic idea. It's great to see games like this and Beagles...

Derek, your game just got compared favorably to THE Rescue the Beagles.

Bow your head in reverence and never forget this day.  Gentleman
Verily, THE Rescue the Beagles! :D I know not how I will find the strength to tear my enraptured eyes away from this lovely game and force myself to work on my own projects today. Kiss
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »

What? Spelunky has addicted me in ways that Rescue: The Beagles never, ever could. This game is ace.

BEGINNER TIP: never throw pots! They can have spiders in them, and you do not like angry spiders! Always whip the pots, which kills the enemy that could be inside, while still giving you access to whatever goodies are contained within!
PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »

Got an error while getting smashed by an idol boulder while carrying one of zee damsels.
for object oPlayer1:

Error in code at line 3:
       holdItemType = holdItem.type;

at position 30: Unknown variable type

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »

for object oPlayer1:

Error in code at line 3:
       holdItemType = holdItem.type;

at position 30: Unknown variable type

Got this after throwing up a rope and trying to grab my shotgun from the ground on the same spot.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 06:33:07 PM »

I'm loving this. Randomly generated madness FTW!

Is there any persistence between attempts though? I'd be much more likely to come back to this if I knew that my likely failure wouldn't be for naught. Shiren: The Wanderer does this quite well for the first few hours.

I also broke the tutorial (by misplacing bombs), and was unable to redo it.

Awesome stuff though.
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 06:35:13 PM »

This is soooo cool!
I also love how you can throw the girl at ennemies to kill them...
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »

What? Spelunky has addicted me in ways that Rescue: The Beagles never, ever could. This game is ace.

BEGINNER TIP: never throw pots! They can have spiders in them, and you do not like angry spiders! Always whip the pots, which kills the enemy that could be inside, while still giving you access to whatever goodies are contained within!
Do not whip them from too close however.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »

Indeed.

PRO TIP: Snake pits are all deep and hard to escape from, right? Makes it un-worthwhile to even go into them, right? WRONG! Try dropping a bomb right at the bottom of the pit, and you'll find a nice surprise for yourself!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »

Finally caved and cheated to reach the finale. Angry I'll try beating the game properly another time.

azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »

Are You Afraid Of The Dark? and randomly generated levels? How could this go wrong?

Edit: It doesn't
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:55:53 PM by azeo » Logged
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:11 AM »

Game looks great although I've yet to try it. Not sure if it's just me (I haven't seen any other post about this problem) but when I run the game it says:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object oMusic:

Error defining an external function.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 04:48:52 AM »

Extract the whole thing into a folder?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 04:55:07 AM »

Downloaded 2 hours ago. Stopped now. Never Passed level 3. Very difficult. Even tutorial killed me, so I didn't know how to play.

This is like, the bestest communal Christmas Present ever. Nice way to cap off Indie Gaming in 2008. Sidescolling Spelunking Roguelike. Mind Blown. Monocle Exploded. Etc, etc.

Tears of Joy

Beer!

LUCID EDIT: Not sure how much more intense and interesting things get, but some more interesting "rooms" (such as the snake pits) would be nice. And you know, other general items. Though, uh, really, I'm going to be playing the buggery out of this as it is. Just that, you know, more is more!

Also, more music would be nice. Maybe selectable from the... "menu" (a radio?) ala Beagles?

Shocked

Holy Crap.

Never Mind.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:51:08 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 05:25:55 AM »

After long periods of playing interspersed with even longer periods of weeping I come with a statement!

Utterly fantastic, though I'd kill for more stuff, like blocks that sink when you're on them and more unique area type things as Gainsworthy mentioned.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 06:22:10 AM »

OK, I still like this in principle. But I am still finding myself having to plan what keys I'm going to press before doing a set of actions. I still think the controls are too complicated and need simplifying somehow - either that or make the game a little less arcadey.

Definitely get rid of the ghost - how is that fun? OK you want me to move on instead of hanging around - why? How does that serve you as the game designer? How does it serve me as a player who likes to take his time (or indeed needs to as he is planning what keys to press in order to play the game)?

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 06:55:05 AM »

I think agree with Haowan that my main gripe with the game, which is excellent overall, is the controls. I had my sister play a bunch of indie games yesterday (she's 15) and she really, really enjoyed playing Spelunky, but the controls were pretty hard to pick up. I had some trouble getting the hang of the controls, too. And we both thought it was hilarious and awesome that you could use "a woman" as a projectile weapon.

I second the notion that it would be awesome to have gamepad support. (maybe making use of the extra buttons to perform actions like "pickup" with one press instead of requiring a combo press)

Also, for a player like my sister, the ghost doesn't really add anything to the game other than grief. Smiley

P.S. She really loves Dyson!

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »

I got used to the controls and can now use them very easily, but I did have trouble when I started. Gamepad support would be ace. Smiley
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2008, 07:10:06 AM »

Annoying - could you check to see if the rope would end up in a pointless position and either move it to the nearest place where it would be useful or just not let the user plant it?

I also just planted a rope when I wanted to pick up my idol, because "plant rope" and "pick up idol" are the same key combination.

@Alec: awesome, glad she likes it!  Kiss
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:14:08 AM by haowan » Logged

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2008, 07:19:29 AM »

Good job, Derek. Actually, I was pretty pessimistic about this game, mainly because it was in GM. But it was actually pretty decent. There were a few bugs that I ran into, but when I tried to recreate the bugs, I can't. (Mostly getting stuck in places, rope glitches like Hao mentioned, etc.)

Also, great flare mechanics.

Overall I'd give this game a C+ It's pretty decent. But not great. But pretty damn impressive for your first GM game. (It's a hell of a lot better than some others.) Also, I applaud you for generating random maps, that's probably the smartest think you could've done with a project like this.

Good Job, Yu  Beer! Now get to hammering out them bugs!

(Also, I forgot to mention, I am getting a corrupt .wav file when I extract the game)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:28:14 AM by Powergloved Andy » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 228
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic