Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:38:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Need help/advice on Platformer Graphics!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help/advice on Platformer Graphics!  (Read 824 times)
DisCharger
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »

Hello guys,i was wondering on how to create a proper 8-16 bit pixel platformer graphics that i'll use on my currently work-in-progress game and also to my future games.
Could you please give me some advices or tips in making proper low-res platformer graphics?

The theme of my game on where i'll use this graphics is a not-so horror type game with slight combat element and the character is using a flashlight and the movement is limited to left to right(I'll remove jumping,but you can look up and down),and environment interaction.

-Here's the picture on what i did(Left-Platformer,Right-RPG):

The story so far...
I tried to draw a 8-bit platformer style character and it turned like that,well its my first time doing platformer graphics.Then i created an RPG version of the character with darker color,change the shoes and the top to jacket and make it higher resolution for a better reference.

What do i think im lacking in making pixel graphics:
-Sense of anatomy(The knees always looked bent)
-Poor coloring and shadowing
-Angle/Body Position

Well then,I'll be looking for your advice/comment in making 8-16 bit Platformer Graphics(Or General Pixel Arts).Feel free to tell me what you think!

In Advance,Thanks it will help me a lot!

OFFTOPIC:
 Well,this is my first post,and first request without introducing myself to the community.But next week i'll properly introduce myself with the screenshot of my work-in-progress game.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:38:32 PM by DisCharger » Logged
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 06:14:34 AM »

Hey there DisCharger. Welcome to the TIGSource forums.

I don't find any real problems with your art, both the "platformer" and the "RPG" sprites. They look serviceable to me.

You say you're worried about the following things, so here's my input:

1) Anatomy: The sprite is very small and anatomy-wise I don't see any big problems. It's pretty much a classic 2D anime-inspired sprite and it's not really possible to botch the anatomy so badly in something as stylized/abstracted from reality, especially on that scale. They look good to me in this regard, comparable to the art you'd see in a similar game from the 16-bit era.

2) Poor coloring/shadowing: The coloring is not bad. I for one would like a bit more contrast and you can do some more things without adding more colors (like adding a bit more highlights for example). I did a small edit to show this: I increased the contrast a bit, changed colors a bit more to make them more relevant (see the green in the sweater of the RPG sprite, the variations in the pants). I also used the same colors to add a highlight to the hair and eyes. For the platformer sprite I did a bit of contrast tweaking.

3) Angle: To me they look fine. Unless I can compare the sprite to background art I can't say if angle/perspective is off.

Hope you keep at it, this looks like a decent, solid start imo.

Good luck!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
DisCharger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:10:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice!It will help me a lot.
Sorry for being inactive in almost a week(Internet problems..)
Anyway i made another version where i changed the pose and the sweater:

Well i can say that it looks better than the first one Tongue
But i guess there is a problem at the left foot and arm,still need practice at drawing platformer graphics...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic