Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:02:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: [JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)  (Read 58888 times)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 04:50:14 AM »

It's so cute to see the evolution between the prototype and early 2015 prototype.
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »

@bakkusa: The main difference is that I was doing everything in the prototype, including the characters 3D models and illustrations Cheesy

@Archgame: I've implemented the battle camera transition. There are still a few problems in some situations, but I do like it Wink Here's a quick animation: http://neko.works/upload/379.mp4

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »

Hi everyone Smiley

Here's a shot from a new environment I've been working one recently:

(please click to zoom in!)

I've also remade the famous "Windows XP" terrain Cheesy I've replaced the source image, so please check out the beginning of the

to see the difference:

This new version is much more resource intensive, still at 4K 60 FPS on my PC though (Nvidia GTX 770).

Actually, I'm thinking in replacing some realtime non interactive cutscenes like this one by videos. Here's a few reasons:
- High quality graphics even on low specs hardware.
- No loading times.
- Fast switch between completely different scenes.
- Perfect audio sync.
- The high quality 1080p60 video takes actually less storage space than the high quality source assets.
- The possibility to go far beyond realtime quality, though I don't think I'll do it.

Of course, I will still use realtime cutscenes in most of the game. So, what do you think guys?

Last, but not least, Square Enix announced the Final Fantasy 7 remake on PS4 Shocked Awesome news, though I doubt it will have turn-based battles and chibi characters Wink

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »

I wasn't able to get the native Unity5's 3D stereo mode working in DirectX9, so I've implemented my own basic 3D stereo support!

You can check out a few samples in the following .ZIP file, including FullHD side by side PNGs, and .MPO files for the Nintendo 3DS photo viewer:
http://neko.works/u/stereoscopic_3d_samples.zip

The UI doesn't work yet in 3D stereo, but it should be easy enough to fix.

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

@Archgame: I've implemented the battle camera transition. There are still a few problems in some situations, but I do like it Wink Here's a quick animation: http://neko.works/upload/379.mp4

Just watched the camera transition into battle and it looked awesome!!! Now my mind is spinning with camera possibilities, like for each move in battle you could adjust the camera to best show the move, maybe this is a bit much. Definitely loved seeing the straight transition to battle, it really melds the two pieces of the game together keeping one immersed while tying battles directly to the open-world aspect.

As for the cutscene as a scene or pre-rendered video, we are having a similar debate for our game right now, we are leaning towards video, mostly for an ease of editing and audio timing as you stated. Hadn't thought of the same quality on all machines, that sounds like another plus for video.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »

@Archgame: I'm thinking in making some dynamic camera positions for the battles, and switching between them depending on the action, with smooth transitions.

The video cutscenes sounds like a safe bet, but I will still need to try it first, as I'm not sure about the video implementation in Unity: Multi platform support? Hardware accelerated? Encoding quality / size? ect.

I've been working on the stereo 3D display support since a few days, it is now fully working, including the UI! You can check out a few updated stereo 3D samples in the following .ZIP file (side by side FullHD .JPG files):
http://neko.works/u/stereoscopic_3d_samples.zip

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »

Here's a few music samples:
neko.works/upload/390.mp3

A proper OST will be released along with the game.

You can now check out my stereo 3D shots on my Phereo page, easier this way, as you can select the 3D display mode depending on your setup:
phereo.com/558ad09b888428aa23000002
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:32:52 AM by neko.works » Logged

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »

@Archgame: I gave up on movie cutscenes in Unity. The image quality is quite bad, and the playback is slow. Support is not that great on Mobile too. So, I will stick with realtime cutscenes for the whole game Wink

I've made a quick world map prototype, what do you think guys? Though this won't be used until a much later episode Smiley

Archendrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »

That looks beautiful so far!
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »

Those mountains look so flowy. Very nice!
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

Thanks guys Wink

Here's the opening movie for Project Light! It's actually 100% realtime. Please check it out:

(please click the image to go on Youtube!)

Any comments? Smiley

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »

Nice throwback to the 90's RPGs. I liked it. And amazing quality.

Yeah.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2015, 01:38:26 AM »

Breathtaking.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2015, 06:00:47 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley

I've uploaded a new video on YouTube with a few music samples. Please check it out:

(please click the image to go on Youtube!)

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »

I really like the video posting, it'd be great if we could have them directly on tig, hopefully someday.

In the Opening video I really like the birds and though simple, added a lot to the shot over the mountain range, without them it would not have felt inhabited. As for the rest of the video, still totally killing it with the Classic JRPG vibe!

For the music video, the songs go along with the themes really well. Have you implemented them in game yet? One thing I always found distracting in JRPG's is the abrupt change in music. One second I'm kicking it in a peaceful forest and the next moment fighting music is blasting in my ears. I'm sure this trait is endearing to some people so I wouldn't take my opinion as the only one, hopefully others can share their thoughts too.

I'm wondering if there is a way to treat music like the camera; a continuous transition from exploring to battle? I know this will be a lot harder to implement given the greater complexity of music, but some subtle key, rhythm, or instrument changes could continue to help tie all the elements of the game together so the player isn't taken out of a continuous narrative.

Also, we totally decided to do real-time video too. Our process is pretty iterative and it would be a pain to go back and rerecord things constantly. Plus part of me likes to think that it is the more honest way to go about it.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2015, 08:03:59 AM »

Thanks for your feedback!

Currently, the music don't change when battles are triggered. The reason is that the battles occurs directly in the field without loading / scene change, so the dungeon music keeps running. There is a music change for the boss battles though.

I don't know if I will keep it this way in the final game. I'll have to experiment a bit more, for instance fading between the dungeon and battle musics. This would work well if the 2 musics have the same rhythm, but it's not always the case unfortunately.

Friez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »

Looking great so far!

Twitter @friezdj
Vivid Foundry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »

The environment art looks wonderful and works with a unified artistic vision with the character art! Looking forward to seeing more.

vigaman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »

Haha yep, this has that original FF7 pre-rendered fixed camera environments...classic. I like how this game incorporates a cute, gritty mixture that not a lot of game devs touch on. Haha the game concept is a breath of fresh air despite the contrasting theme it has.  Gentleman

I like what I see so far and I hope you keep developing it at a steady pace. Smiley

Some feedback though. I think it would be nice to keep the pre-rendered fixed camera set up, but adding a feature such as having your party follow you around than just assuming that the party is with you is a nice touch. I think retro games added a feature like that as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:42:14 PM by vigaman » Logged
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »

@Friez: Thanks!

@vividfoundry: Happy that you like the art style!
You can check out the official website for a few more artworks / screenshots / videos / infos: neko.works/projectlight

@vigaman: Yep, classic JRPGs are quite rare nowadays. Even the FF7 remake recently announced will probably be a clone of FF15 in term of style and battle system. Though I will still get it day one Smiley

Currently, the party characters pop up with a nice animation when needed. Something like this:

The original FF7 had a similar system, where the characters appeared to come out from the main character. I actually like it this way!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic