Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:38:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)0val Eggs Gas (Collision detection Ellipsoids - Game developer)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 0val Eggs Gas (Collision detection Ellipsoids - Game developer)  (Read 1599 times)
Chelle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:00:16 AM »

Hell-0

The reason why I’m dropping by is because I’m working on a small Sci-Fi-project ...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:38:23 AM by Chelle » Logged

Dance…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room. (Mary Schmich - Wear Sunscreen - Baz Luhrmann)
Chelle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »

Hi, no one is responding  Who, Me?

Donno if I'm in the right section of the forum for this or if my request was too complicated and less would have been more ... I thought this would have been pretty standard game technology stuff except for the ellipses... btw I could pay some compensation for giving this set up a try ... Perhaps someone could redirecting me ... or knows someone who could fix this? Help!

Best,

m.

Dance…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room. (Mary Schmich - Wear Sunscreen - Baz Luhrmann)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:29:29 AM »

so at what part are you stuck?
What is your problem/question ?

anyway my route would probably be :
Start building that 'pie-parts' system of yours with circles, get that working and on the side figure out collision detection between ellipses.
Then swap your circles with ellipses.
Chelle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:03:54 AM »

so at what part are you stuck?
What is your problem/question ?
Judging from the feedback I got from David Eberly I thought this was something that would be easy implementable in to an existing game enigine and because I'm not a programmer myself I was hoping that someone could give this thing a try, and I'd have an input table with presets based on collision angles and could start to crosslink these to those from real physical experimental results.

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:03:41 AM »

Judging from the feedback I got from David Eberly I thought this was something that would be easy implementable in to an existing game enigine and because I'm not a programmer myself I was hoping that someone could give this thing a try, and I'd have an input table with presets based on collision angles and could start to crosslink these to those from real physical experimental results.

There are 2D physics engines like box2d and chipmunk. They could easily handle the collision detection, if you approximate the shapes as polygons or capsules (or write your own ellipse collision shape).

The problem is that they model rigid bodies and your eggs don't behave like those. In fact, I don't understand how the eggs are supposed to behave at all. They have position (2D), velocity (2D) and orientation, but they don't rotate while they move? What exactly happens in a collision?
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »

So, if it's an easy to use game engine you want, maybe you should check out something like game maker. I haven't used it but I think it has everything you need. 2D graphics, scripting, collision detection. And lots of examples to get you started.
Chelle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »

So, if it's an easy to use game engine you want, maybe you should check out something like game maker. I haven't used it but I think it has everything you need. 2D graphics, scripting, collision detection. And lots of examples to get you started.

Thanks, looks great, and they also seem to have a lively community. On the other hand I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to programming so my hope was to find someone here who could put two and two together, e.g. embed the ellipse collision recognition technology into an existing engine and link it up to a database, because terms such as: sort-and-sweep, k-dops, box-box update, ... and roots of a quartic polynomial is all Greek to me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:03:42 PM by Chelle » Logged

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »

It seems like you've done a bit of research, so either try implementing it, and iterating on that (and people would probably be willing to assist if you post future problems) or try posting in collaborations if you want a programmer collaborator. But people aren't really going to do your programming for you in this thread. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic